Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question About TransDEM Trainz

United States of America, Wisconsin, Wisc Rapids
    Blog Entries

Those look nice, very nice. Ok so that is what the map looks like when its done generating the terrain and then once you load the map start placing the objects into the Trainz world. I think that's how it works with the program?

NARM's site^

My personal site: https://hiawathamr.weebly.com/​

Correct, if you use 3d tiles you get a much better resolution map, this in an overhead view from a few weeks back, however the terrain is in 3d.

Malc

United States of America, Wisconsin, Wisc Rapids
    Blog Entries

Okay, thank you so much Ckam1952 for the information and example for the program. I think I'll get it soon now that I have all the details and questions answered. Talking to someone that actually used it was way more better than having to hunt the internet for the answers and they don't even answer the questions you had. Thank you again for the information and examples

NARM's site^

My personal site: https://hiawathamr.weebly.com/​

I agree, and those images look very nice, really looks like a great program, it's nice that there's a Trainz version too. I'm guessing many of the bigger Trainz routes are made using this.

Parksville, Vancouver Island, Paradise Canada

Hi Everyone:

TransDEM is the only way to go if you want to make prototypical routes. I have been using this for a couple of years and find it really amazing. Below are some images.

I used TransDEM to do the route for the WP&YR (67 miles long). Here is an aerial image taken over Bennett, Yukon in the route using the DEMs and overlaying the Topographic map as a layer.

And here is the view from the "ground".

The next two images are from a route made in Montana using orthographic (aerial) images. This route is 128 miles long. The first is the "satellite" view in Surveyor.

The second view shows the ground level view that is achieved.

If you are serious about prototypical route building I absolutely recommend TransDEM. There are excellent free resources for both DEMs and topographic maps/orthographic images available for Canada and the United States. Enjoy,

Derek
    Last edited by Derekc75; November 14th, 2016 at 06:55 PM.
    Windows 8.1 T:ANE T19
    I used to have Windows 10 but it bombed on an update and when I recovered it to went back to Windows 8 to Microsoft.

That's good to hear, because those are the kind of routes I want to mainly build, and those routes really look fantastic, very nice.