Question About TransDEM Trainz

BCRailWayFan

Hello, I have a question about the program TransDEM for Trainz. I was looking at it and since I would like to make some routes, and I have Trainz 12, I was wondering about what exactly it does, I think it replicates the topology, and if it is free. When I looked at the site the program, TransDEM Trainz, seems to be free but I have seen some people here say that it costs money. Also, does TransDEM just replicate the topology of an area? Is it simple to use for Trainz 12, and is it very useful for making routes. Thanks!

It is payware, and takes a bit of a learning curve, as nothing is fully automatic and easy as pie ... it has a moderate technical learning curve to conquer ... and you have to trace in by hand the rail lines

Last edited:
Here's some details in more detail. :)

1) It's payware - about $30 give or take.

2) The program does more than just replace the topology, which it does very nicely.

With TransDEM you can:

- Import DEM data of a specific area from nearly anywhere in the world. For people living in the US, we have a National Geologic Survey data server which supplies images and DEM data for the continental US, Alaska, and Hawaii.
- The program allow exact positioning of tile images or images directly on the surface of the topology. This includes historic topographic maps for the US.
- You can trace rail lines and have the program automatically lay the track in place. It has it's advantages and disadvantages.
- Trim down the baseboards to just include the route plus or minus boards on either side. This has it's advantages but also disadvantages as it's sometime easier to trim manually depending upon the terrain.
- By Using UTM coordinates, map data can be added to and a route expanded because sections add up.
- Creation of 3D tiles.
- Quite accurate too. I have seen height data within the tolerance of the baseboard grid in some places.

There is a bit of a learning curve, but the tutorials are well done and easy to follow.

So with the capabilities and accuracy of the program, it's worth getting for $30 or so.

The alternative older HOG with Microdem import of TIGER information is not accurate, though it's free and a lot more work to create the end results you want. With the older method, the routes, rivers, roads, and other necessary details can be off as much as 5 to 10 meters horizontally, which puts riverbanks on mountainsides and tracks in rivers.

Hope this helps.

This was some very useful information about TransDEM, this is exactly what I was looking for. I've learned a lot about these programs from your replies, and I think I will look some more at the two programs and see if I want to buy TransDEM, and I will also see how the other one works. This is a very helpful and great community, thanks again to all.

Current Microdem doesn't support Tiger Lines any longer and the tutorial is out of date due to changes in the program.
Default values are now metric anyway and there is one step that no longer exists which you can skip, that was in a two year old version I looked at, it's probably changed again by now.

Having used both there is no way I'd revert to Microdem / Hog, be like swapping a Ferrari for a bicycle. ;)

I can thoroughly recommend Transdem. My only complaint is, once you're up to speed, it's so easy to turn out mapped and Dem'ed template routes you end up with more projects on your Surveyor menu than you'll ever get time to finish!

I have a question for TrainzDEM too and I'm glad this thread is started. Ok my question for the program is this: I know it can shape the map for you, but does it place objects (track, buildings, trees, etc) for you or do you have to do that manually?

Current Microdem doesn't support Tiger Lines any longer and the tutorial is out of date due to changes in the program.
Default values are now metric anyway and there is one step that no longer exists which you can skip, that was in a two year old version I looked at, it's probably changed again by now.
Yes, however you could just download an earlier version of MicroDEM via the Wayback Machine
I have a question for TrainzDEM too and I'm glad this thread is started. Ok my question for the program is this: I know it can shape the map for you, but does it place objects (track, buildings, trees, etc) for you or do you have to do that manually?
As far as I know all you can place is track.

As far as I know all you can place is track.
Ok so basically you have to place the tracks down yourself? The reason I'm asking is because I'm interested, but the site doesn't give details if you have to place the objects yourself or does the program do it for you. All I know is the mapping the terrain and that's it.

No you can't place objects, yes it will place the track however you will have to manually adjust the gradients as DEM's are not that accurate, as you can overlay a map on the dem and use 3d tiles it's probably just as easy to do it manually.

To give you a clue it's taken me a few weeks to get to the same sort of stage it took me about 4 years to do using the microdem method - no tiger lines for the UK so it was a case of measuring and manually creating baseboard maps.

Ok, thank you. Now I'm getting the program strong points and weak points. Now if only I can see a demo of the program actually making a map. I found a few videos, but they didn't show the final project after it was done. I'll have to buy it someday

Thanks for all the information, very interesting to learn about these programs, they are very useful for building all sorts of routes.

Ok, thank you. Now I'm getting the program strong points and weak points. Now if only I can see a demo of the program actually making a map. I found a few videos, but they didn't show the final project after it was done. I'll have to buy it someday

Here's some:

Those look nice, very nice. Ok so that is what the map looks like when its done generating the terrain and then once you load the map start placing the objects into the Trainz world. I think that's how it works with the program?

Correct, if you use 3d tiles you get a much better resolution map, this in an overhead view from a few weeks back, however the terrain is in 3d.

Okay, thank you so much Ckam1952 for the information and example for the program. I think I'll get it soon now that I have all the details and questions answered. Talking to someone that actually used it was way more better than having to hunt the internet for the answers and they don't even answer the questions you had. Thank you again for the information and examples

I agree, and those images look very nice, really looks like a great program, it's nice that there's a Trainz version too. I'm guessing many of the bigger Trainz routes are made using this.

Hi Everyone:

TransDEM is the only way to go if you want to make prototypical routes. I have been using this for a couple of years and find it really amazing. Below are some images.

I used TransDEM to do the route for the WP&YR (67 miles long). Here is an aerial image taken over Bennett, Yukon in the route using the DEMs and overlaying the Topographic map as a layer.

Derekc75_20140421_0000_zps6f05ae9f.jpg

And here is the view from the "ground".

Derekc75_20140421_0002_zpsdd11465e.jpg

The next two images are from a route made in Montana using orthographic (aerial) images. This route is 128 miles long. The first is the "satellite" view in Surveyor.

Derekc75_20140312_0000_zpsb4588bf9.jpg

The second view shows the ground level view that is achieved.

Derekc75_20140312_0001_zps36ba2d71.jpg

If you are serious about prototypical route building I absolutely recommend TransDEM. There are excellent free resources for both DEMs and topographic maps/orthographic images available for Canada and the United States. Enjoy,

Derek

Last edited:
Back