Britain's Disgusting Railways

When one has power and it comes to transport matters these days you buy your own heavy vehicles and organise your own contracts.
Now who is going to cut their own throat and point business back to the rail when they have their own transport companies and heavy vehicles ?
So the rail gets used only when it suits them and where it is not viable for road vehicles to run.

It is a very difficult matter we have regarding our railways. Certainly heavy use and constantly growing and although there are problems thee same thing happened under state control. People tend to have short memories when a challenge comes up I think and what the eventual solving will be is wide open. Interestingly more is being spent on rail.

The loss of thousands of miles in the controversial Beeching time is a reminder that no matter which government was in power there was a problem under them. No-one really looked at the possibility of population growth or movement did they? There were lines that just had to go and no longer justifiable as some basic right when hardly anyone used them. In places where a few lines have been brought back they are fortunate in places where there has been over the decades house growth and so on. All those years ago the Argyle Line (named after the street it ran under centrally) in my city here in Glasgow ran through Glasgow Central low Level and like lines that came off it done away with. Then years later brought back and electrified and heavily used so there have been good progressions. Apart from the Borders Line partly back - well about 33 miles (!), Stirling-Alloa and the Larkhall Lines came back and doing well.

There are other places in Gt Britain for rail coming back in England as well as other parts of Scotland (maybe St Andrews and the Peterhead routes?). In N. Ireland a 10,000 petition on getting the Armahg link back showed general interest but the money is tight. Maybe the only city without rail?? Perhaps the structure has to be looked at and the association of Network Rail and the individual companies and one can but hope something positive will be the eventual answer.

Hi everybody.
You have a great wee break and I am hoping after some health issues to try and get over the Irish Sea and do a bit of train running on the NIR and some down south on the IR. All part of my hoped for plan to put a really large productive of railways over the water.

Bobby
ps. Don't bother getting me any rock......

Bobby (rjhowie) we had a great break with some wonderful walks on Exmoor over the New Year's bank holiday. We could not find any rock for you when we visited Lynton and lynmouth, only Exmoor butter toffee which sticks around your teeth and pulls all your fillings out, or even worse things can happen if you have false teeth.

Anyway much has happened on Britain's railways over the last few days with the 2.3% average fare increase coming into effect on the first of January. The foregoing is very hard on regular rail commuters especially considering the terrible service they receive. However, the increase will reduce the overall subsidy provided by all taxpayers as not everyone uses the railways and therefore that group should not have to pay large amounts in tax for its services.

In the above it seems that taxation will not be reduced by the savings on rail subsidy, but rather those savings will be spent on increased road spending which in my humble opinion is the correct decision. Road development and maintenance has been underfunded for a great many years, and that underfunding is now affecting the overall economy most notably in southern England.

Of course we now have once again the usual crowd shouting for full nationalization of the rail network. Those persons seem to forget that the track and its maintenance are already in goverment ownership and run on its behalf by Network Rail. For those who would conveniently forget, that's the same Network Rail that has already squandered two point eight billion pounds and requires another three billion pounds to electrify one hundred and thirty miles of track on the Great Western mainline.

In the foregoing, I find it very amusing that those calling for full nationalization expect to get a cheaper and more efficient rail system if the whole network where handed over to the above body when that body cannot run what they are already responsible for now (LOL).

In regards to the Southern “who closes the doors dispute”, media reports are suggesting that Govia are trying to dissuade the Government from using the military in the dispute as they feel that support for continuing the action is showing signs of crumbling among the union members involved. January the ninth is scheduled for the next round of strike action, so doubtless we shall see if that is correct. If it is not, then the calls for the transport secretary to resign will grow very loud indeed without doubt

Bill

Last edited:
Back