Any Steam Excursions in St. Louis During the Mid-70's?

My dad says he remembers standing under the Wabash Bridge in St. Charles, MO when he was a kid and hearing the chugging of a steam locomotive going across. He says it would have around 1975 through 1977-ish around the summer time. It has my curiosity peaked, and I'm trying to see if I can find what excursion steam locomotive it could have been. I figure SP #4449 pulling the American Freedom Train is a possibility, though I don't know if it crossed on the Wabash Bridge when it was in the St. Louis area. Thanks in advance for any help!

Just got the December 2016 edition of Trains Magazine today in the mail. In the section regarding mistakes made in previous edition of Trains Magazine it says that Southern Pacific #4449 visited St. Louis on April 4th, 1976 with The American Freedom Train. At first I thought that it was a Southern excursion, however, I can find no evidence of a Southern steam excursion out of St. Louis using 4449.

Four year old thread, but here's what I recollect: I don't know what route the Freedom Train took into St Louis, but it left via the MoPac Desoto Sub. An excursion I remember (road it and chased it), was Southern 4501 from E St Louis to Mt Vernon, IL, and return. That was '77 or '78, iirc. I don't recall any other steam engines in town from about '75 to '80.

Back