Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A New Dimension in Model Railroads

United States of America, California, San Jose
    Blog Entries

...disabled version of T:ANE -prototype content +included 'model' (read that as toyz) trainz = TMR17

Make train simulators great again #MTSGA obiter dictum

Tony, you say you run a mid range system? What are your specs because I can max out every single game I play except TANE. It constantly crashes my graphics drivers, which are up to date.

As for generating cash flow, please tell me, what can you do different in it for model railroads that you cant already do or download in current versions?

United States of America, California, San Jose
    Blog Entries

sorry trainman7616, but I can kind of disagree with your comment if you use NEWER hardware, like bought this year, in the last 6 months... otherwise I'd agree, but this is getting offtrack already starting to derail the thread...

I see it as a virtual model of the models, so the Thomas and Friends kidz,

as well as Chuggington fanatics:

can have something to play with on a screen, instead of gettin' off their bottoms and physically playing with things... interesting concept...

Make train simulators great again #MTSGA obiter dictum

What about inport from TS12, would be nice to be able to bring my model railroad layots up.

Tom
    Acer Predator Helios 300 16gb ram, GTX1060 graphics on windows home 10
    TANE build 94916 TRS19 build 100240

Boy, the branding for these games really is all over the place. So many made up acronyms just for the sake of making it look different from the previous release. So is this going to be a stripped version just to include a few already available routes and assets geared towards model railroading? Boy, one can only dream

Has the shadow problem been cured from using high walls around the layout , They cast huge shadows across a Model trainz route in TANE unless you set the routes Lat and Long co-ordinates to 0,0,0 ?
    High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line

United States of America, Pennsylvania, Allentown

I think the Model Railroad concept with Trainz as a whole itself is good as it is so unless you can somehow make it so it's very easy for a normal user ( think those NOT on this forum that have had the series of sims for years) I don't think this will have much success as theyll buy it and throw it in the corner because they cant figure it out. A standalone product is fine but it needs to be easy for an average user to understand. If its a re-branded TANE with just model railroad routes out of the box it's going to be problematic still for sure.

- If the new TMR as you call it includes Content Manager as it is in its current TANE state the people you are targeting this at will be confused to say the least.
    - I would highly suggest you include a manual that covers all aspects A to Z of this "TMR", if you do not, consider it will cause you a lot of undue support issues and its just generally easier if people can figure the things out to begin with.

What I've realized in the past 12 years I've been in this game is the more you make it easier for people to learn and use, the more people will be likely to adopt the software and go from there. I'll still say to this day that at least from a content management standpoint TS12 to TANE was a step backward. I've demonstrated the sim before for years but I haven't touched it since TANE simply due to the non ease of use of TANE so if that continues with this TMR I wish you good luck, you may need it.

The game has a learning curve as it is, if you want it to succeed you need to keep that manageable to a point.

Just my 2 cents....take it with a grain of salt ( and my opinions don't neccessarily reflect that of JointedRail as a whole just to be clear)

JointedRail Customer Support

What exactly does this 'new' game have that you can't reproduce in TANE?

release content > complain > repeat

Quote Originally Posted by Therock View Post
    Revenue. Yeah I went there...

United States of America, Arkansas, Jonesboro

The only thing I don't like about T:ANE content manager is there's not a section on the left showing Asset Details, Download Helper, etc. etc. I liked the old CM much better. Much more user friendly

I, frankly, am a little confused about all the angst surrounding the announcement of the release of TMR. You prefer prototypical virtual trains? Great - you've got TANE. You prefer model railroad virtual trains? Great - you've got TANE, and the coming TMR. Personally, I prefer BOTH (but usually not at the same time)! And let's not forget, those hardy souls that wouldn't think of using a newer version of Trainz than 2004, Or 2006, Or 2009, Or 2010, Or 2012! And what about those great content creators who have never run a layout in their life, unless you consider a simple loop or a piece of straight track that they use to test their content, a layout! All of us are trainzers, not better or worse, just different. Different things give us the pleasure of virtual railroading. Let's stop beating each other up over the things that give us enjoyment. Or worse, say that if you don't play (enjoy) the game my way, I'm going to take my marbles, and go home. I want you to enjoy Trainz the way you want to, and I would appreciate it, if you would want the same for me.

Bob

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clam1952 View Post
    Stand alone product, the "routes" or should that be lumps of Plywood will be available to TANE users as DLC if you hadn't already guessed.

Hello Malc,

Thank you, sir for your response!

Ish

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Hilliam View Post
    I have added some clarification to the opening post and to the news article about the impact for existing users.
    Just re-read your first post, and thanks for making things clear, sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Hilliam View Post
    Trainman7161, TANE already replaced TADDaemon and also has a completely new Content Manager. The multi-threaded engine now allows database operations on a separate thread avoiding the long pauses seen with large database operations in past versions. I run all versions of Trainz regularly and the last time I ran 2006 I was surprised at how short the draw distance was and how empty the environments were. Comparing apples with apples, TANE (on my mid-range system) is way ahead of any other version.

In regard to your earlier post, the vast majority of TMR routes are brand new, and all the sessions are new. And I have never understood the concept of a company avoiding generating revenue. No revenue = no staff= no new features, content or updates at all, so I totally miss your point.
    Hi Tony ..

Just my 2 cents --

@Trainman7161 -- TADDaemon was a nightmare worst then "A Nightmare on Elm Street" for me -- For that sole purpose I will always recommend TANE.

--And about generating revenue, you go for it Tony!!!

Take Care
    Ish

United States of America, Floatin' Along the Delaware River
    Blog Entries

TADDaemon could usually be handled if you know how. Running Trainz offline fixes half the problems. Also, I've recently found using TCPView to close connections can bring it and the nastier TrainzUtil in line even when it's headed toward a DB repair or or you've got multiple instances of TrainzUtil chewing away at nothing in the background. It just takes a little patience and hammering away at the connections as they open.
    Eat More Popsicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Therock View Post
    Read the other thread, it will tell you you can either get it as stand alone or a addon to tane sp2 with extra dlc you can also buy.

I spose it mainly give you the advantage if you like building or runninng model railway/roads you have all the model supports, valance, curtians, walls and other objects in one place without having to search or download them.
    Acer Predator Helios 300 16gb ram, GTX1060 graphics on windows home 10
    TANE build 94916 TRS19 build 100240