Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: A New Dimension in Model Railroads

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lovetrainzloathen3v View Post
    Trainz has struggled to throw off the "model railway" stigma for nearly 15 years (I bought CE in 2001).

So now you go and do this

After the TANE fiasco, i have decided to have nothing more to do with Trainz.

I am certainly not interested in wasting more money on a toy train game.
    To be fair, I have seen some on here who have asked for a model railway specific version so that's what N3V are sorting out (although gauging by your username it probably won't make much difference).

Shane
    Shane Turner
    Technical and DirectX Advisor - Not affiliated with N3V

My Forum -- PevSoft Tools -- Tutorial List (inc DirectX) -- My Utilities --TrainzTutorials.com

So, it's TANE with less content. Why would anybody really want this? Does the surveyor have a prebuilt model railroad setup to work with when creating a new route? If not... what's the point? It brings nothing new to the table... depressing.

Cheers,
    SM
    Last edited by lego207; October 28th, 2016 at 01:48 PM.

United States of America, Arkansas, Jonesboro

Quote Originally Posted by shaneturner12 View Post
    ... (although gauging by your username it probably won't make much difference)....

Shane
    Why in the hell would anyone CHOOSE a username like that??? Absolutely ridiculous!

Blog Entries

I'm not entirely sure there I'm afraid.

Shane
    Shane Turner

My Forum -- PevSoft Tools -- Tutorial List (inc DirectX) -- My Utilities --TrainzTutorials.com

Blog Entries

Hi Guyz,

I don't get it --- I read the article --

So, is TMR17 a stand-alone product, or a add-on for TANE??

Ish

Stand alone product, the "routes" or should that be lumps of Plywood will be available to TANE users as DLC if you hadn't already guessed.
    Malc

I have added some clarification to the opening post and to the news article about the impact for existing users.
    Tony Hilliam

Got questions about TRS19? Click here for TRS19 FAQs

Looking for answers to in-game functionality? Click here for help

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lovetrainzloathen3v View Post

I am certainly not interested in wasting more money on a toy train game.
    Without many registered versions in your timeline, that can't by very much.
    Meanwhile, I'll continue enjoying the Trainz hobby in many of its incarnations.

70337:
    TRS19 build 100240 and 103369 Win10 Pro 64 bit, i7-7700 3.6GHz 16 GB, GTX 1070 Ti

The same content is on the DLS. N3V are just looking for money at this point. There is nothing grand or new about this. What a pathetic excuse, and I thought tane was bad.

I for one am quite looking forward to this. as noted in the previous thread (not sure where it's gone with an apparent forum re-org) there is a place for a product which brings together the elements for making a model railway in one place.

My first interest will always be in creating prototype routes, be that in Trainz, MSTS, TS20xx or whatever comes next. However there's loads of layout plans I've collected over the years in magazines, annuals and latterly on-line which would probably never get built in plywood and plaster but here is a chance to do them in virtuality. And while there's plenty of room for attention to detail, the constraints of a model environment mean there is less to worry about placing or decorating distant scenery.

And again as I noted a few weeks ago, some model railroads are incredibly complex and take an age to run a train round - the Pasadena Sierra Pacific comes to mind. In fact it might take as long to build as a prototype route stretched out to the equivalent length.

My only concern at the moment is price - given the collapse of the GBP£ post-Brexit vote, even against the AUS$...
    TRS 2019 Coach Class (Former Customer)

Tony if you read this. Consider this. Get rid of the crappy TadDaemon garbage. We didnt have it in TRS2006 and it ran just fine. TS2009 introduced it and it was trash. If you are going to release a new version, consider trashing that feature, it causes more issues than we need.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trainman7616 View Post
    Tony if you read this. Consider this. Get rid of the crappy TadDaemon garbage. We didnt have it in TRS2006 and it ran just fine. TS2009 introduced it and it was trash. If you are going to release a new version, consider trashing that feature, it causes more issues than we need.
    If it's based on T:ANE, T:ANE doesn't have TADDaemon from what I can see (and I have checked all relevant folders).

Shane
    Shane Turner

Trainman7161, TANE already replaced TADDaemon and also has a completely new Content Manager. The multi-threaded engine now allows database operations on a separate thread avoiding the long pauses seen with large database operations in past versions. I run all versions of Trainz regularly and the last time I ran 2006 I was surprised at how short the draw distance was and how empty the environments were. Comparing apples with apples, TANE (on my mid-range system) is way ahead of any other version.

In regard to your earlier post, the vast majority of TMR routes are brand new, and all the sessions are new. And I have never understood the concept of a company avoiding generating revenue. No revenue = no staff= no new features, content or updates at all, so I totally miss your point.
    Tony Hilliam

Got questions about TRS19? Click here for TRS19 FAQs

Looking for answers to in-game functionality? Click here for help

So that I am clear in my understanding, if I create a model Rly layout in TMR17 and I upload it to the DLS, can it be downloaded by both 1) Normal TANE users, 2) TMR17 users? If I create the same model Rly layout in TANE and upload it, can it also be downloaded by both groups? As there are items included in TMR17 which are specific to this particular incarnation of TANE, I presume that the layout would be unworkable for any TANE users who have not bought into the MR17 version. Is that correct? I am not clear as to whether to buy it as a stand alone or as an upgrade to TANE!

Would also like to know if procedural track will be included in TMR17.

Yorkshire

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Hilliam View Post
    completely new Content Manager.
    Uhm, sir, have you seen the mac version of trainz? Yea, it looks pretty much the same.......which to say.....is terrible.

Thought of the day:
    People (or at least me) want to make model railroads to mimic real railroading as best as possible. If given the opportunity to make a full on, correctly sized (I think 1:87 in HO's case), prototypical railroad or subdivision, it would be jumped on in a heartbeat if money wasn't involved. The problem with Model Railroading is space and money. The nice thing is, this game eliminates both of those, making it much more appealing to some. My question is.......why would one want to have a model of a model?

TL: DR version -
    This is the idea from what I understand :Real > model > tane?
    ....what....why? Who would want that? Do they have clinical depression?
    Last edited by Vinnie264; October 28th, 2016 at 04:53 PM.