A New Dimension in Model Railroads

Stand alone product, the "routes" or should that be lumps of Plywood will be available to TANE users as DLC if you hadn't already guessed.

I have added some clarification to the opening post and to the news article about the impact for existing users.

The same content is on the DLS. N3V are just looking for money at this point. There is nothing grand or new about this. What a pathetic excuse, and I thought tane was bad.

I for one am quite looking forward to this. as noted in the previous thread (not sure where it's gone with an apparent forum re-org) there is a place for a product which brings together the elements for making a model railway in one place.

My first interest will always be in creating prototype routes, be that in Trainz, MSTS, TS20xx or whatever comes next. However there's loads of layout plans I've collected over the years in magazines, annuals and latterly on-line which would probably never get built in plywood and plaster but here is a chance to do them in virtuality. And while there's plenty of room for attention to detail, the constraints of a model environment mean there is less to worry about placing or decorating distant scenery.

And again as I noted a few weeks ago, some model railroads are incredibly complex and take an age to run a train round - the Pasadena Sierra Pacific comes to mind. In fact it might take as long to build as a prototype route stretched out to the equivalent length.

My only concern at the moment is price - given the collapse of the GBP£ post-Brexit vote, even against the AUS$...

Tony if you read this. Consider this. Get rid of the crappy TadDaemon garbage. We didnt have it in TRS2006 and it ran just fine. TS2009 introduced it and it was trash. If you are going to release a new version, consider trashing that feature, it causes more issues than we need.

Tony if you read this. Consider this. Get rid of the crappy TadDaemon garbage. We didnt have it in TRS2006 and it ran just fine. TS2009 introduced it and it was trash. If you are going to release a new version, consider trashing that feature, it causes more issues than we need.

If it's based on T:ANE, T:ANE doesn't have TADDaemon from what I can see (and I have checked all relevant folders).

Shane

Trainman7161, TANE already replaced TADDaemon and also has a completely new Content Manager. The multi-threaded engine now allows database operations on a separate thread avoiding the long pauses seen with large database operations in past versions. I run all versions of Trainz regularly and the last time I ran 2006 I was surprised at how short the draw distance was and how empty the environments were. Comparing apples with apples, TANE (on my mid-range system) is way ahead of any other version.

In regard to your earlier post, the vast majority of TMR routes are brand new, and all the sessions are new. And I have never understood the concept of a company avoiding generating revenue. No revenue = no staff= no new features, content or updates at all, so I totally miss your point.

So that I am clear in my understanding, if I create a model Rly layout in TMR17 and I upload it to the DLS, can it be downloaded by both 1) Normal TANE users, 2) TMR17 users? If I create the same model Rly layout in TANE and upload it, can it also be downloaded by both groups? As there are items included in TMR17 which are specific to this particular incarnation of TANE, I presume that the layout would be unworkable for any TANE users who have not bought into the MR17 version. Is that correct? I am not clear as to whether to buy it as a stand alone or as an upgrade to TANE!

Would also like to know if procedural track will be included in TMR17.

Yorkshire

completely new Content Manager.
Uhm, sir, have you seen the mac version of trainz? Yea, it looks pretty much the same.......which to say.....is terrible.

Thought of the day:
People (or at least me) want to make model railroads to mimic real railroading as best as possible. If given the opportunity to make a full on, correctly sized (I think 1:87 in HO's case), prototypical railroad or subdivision, it would be jumped on in a heartbeat if money wasn't involved. The problem with Model Railroading is space and money. The nice thing is, this game eliminates both of those, making it much more appealing to some. My question is.......why would one want to have a model of a model?

TL: DR version -
This is the idea from what I understand :Real > model > tane?
....what....why? Who would want that? Do they have clinical depression?

Last edited:
...disabled version of T:ANE -prototype content +included 'model' (read that as toyz) trainz = TMR17

tumblr_n5mtrnsPoE1sayodwo1_500.gif

Tony, you say you run a mid range system? What are your specs because I can max out every single game I play except TANE. It constantly crashes my graphics drivers, which are up to date.

As for generating cash flow, please tell me, what can you do different in it for model railroads that you cant already do or download in current versions?

sorry trainman7616, but I can kind of disagree with your comment if you use NEWER hardware, like bought this year, in the last 6 months... otherwise I'd agree, but this is getting offtrack already starting to derail the thread...

mlfw4772-8c1.gif

I see it as a virtual model of the models, so the Thomas and Friends kidz,

oDTnBI.gif

as well as Chuggington fanatics:

Chuggington.jpg

can have something to play with on a screen, instead of gettin' off their bottoms and physically playing with things... interesting concept...

trains.gif

What about inport from TS12, would be nice to be able to bring my model railroad layots up.

Tom

Boy, the branding for these games really is all over the place. So many made up acronyms just for the sake of making it look different from the previous release. So is this going to be a stripped version just to include a few already available routes and assets geared towards model railroading? Boy, one can only dream :sleep:

Has the shadow problem been cured from using high walls around the layout , They cast huge shadows across a Model trainz route in TANE unless you set the routes Lat and Long co-ordinates to 0,0,0 ?

I think the Model Railroad concept with Trainz as a whole itself is good as it is so unless you can somehow make it so it's very easy for a normal user ( think those NOT on this forum that have had the series of sims for years) I don't think this will have much success as theyll buy it and throw it in the corner because they cant figure it out. A standalone product is fine but it needs to be easy for an average user to understand. If its a re-branded TANE with just model railroad routes out of the box it's going to be problematic still for sure.

- If the new TMR as you call it includes Content Manager as it is in its current TANE state the people you are targeting this at will be confused to say the least.
- I would highly suggest you include a manual that covers all aspects A to Z of this "TMR", if you do not, consider it will cause you a lot of undue support issues and its just generally easier if people can figure the things out to begin with.

What I've realized in the past 12 years I've been in this game is the more you make it easier for people to learn and use, the more people will be likely to adopt the software and go from there. I'll still say to this day that at least from a content management standpoint TS12 to TANE was a step backward. I've demonstrated the sim before for years but I haven't touched it since TANE simply due to the non ease of use of TANE so if that continues with this TMR I wish you good luck, you may need it.

The game has a learning curve as it is, if you want it to succeed you need to keep that manageable to a point.

Just my 2 cents....take it with a grain of salt ( and my opinions don't neccessarily reflect that of JointedRail as a whole just to be clear)

The only thing I don't like about T:ANE content manager is there's not a section on the left showing Asset Details, Download Helper, etc. etc. I liked the old CM much better. Much more user friendly

Back