A New Dimension in Model Railroads

One thing that I don't actually understand is why do I have two of the routes included in the TMR17? I don't remember where did i download them.

One thing that I don't actually understand is why do I have two of the routes included in the TMR17? I don't remember where did i download them.

The M120 models and the N-Scale generic baseboard route are probably the two you didn't have before.

itareus said:
You mean you can actually work with the Railworks editor Harold ?

Personally even after 40 plus years of using and designing computer software I find their user interface obscure to say the least.

I'll second that. I bought RW TS12 or whatever it was called back then, was upgraded several times, and now have TS17 on Steam, and I have yet to do anything serious with their editor.
Having worked with Trainz on and off since the first version, I just can't figure out their editor UI. Even their driver is a lot less intuitive than Trainz.
I've worked with several DOS and Windows based CAD programs over the years, and found them much easier to learn than RW.
I can say though that RW has been less demanding on my system's resources. Back before I upgraded to quad core i5, I was able to get better performance with RW TS15 than with Trainz TS12.

CP

Last edited:
So maybe there is a really good reason N3V came out with TMR17. But why not just build smaller routes in TANE or TS12 without say more than one to two baseboard width, and not worrying about distant horizons?
I love to build very large routes, but have yet to finish one of them. I start with Google Earth, convert in TransDem with ground textures from GE raster maps, then paint with detail as I go. One of these routes is the entire state of Vermont - something no one would try to do on a model RR layout. I could just as easily start at Brattleboro and run up to White River Junction, with short sections from Bellows Falls and White River Jct, but never going more than a few miles from the Connecticut River. That route might be more suited for a model, but certainly I could do that in TANE.

CP

If buying 17 or the DLC's for T:ANE...

Is it all LOCKED again?

I will not buy anything anymore what I can't modify.

I hate locked routes and/or sessions!

☼?!?☼

Last edited:
I think that it would be awesome if there was a model railroadz of Japan's Shinjuku Station, the world's busiest station. In reality, being late by even one second would cause a 'cascade effect' that would 'throw off' the schedule of every other train. Though the route with this station would certainly impact the performance of everyone's computer, it would definitely keep a person 'on their toes' making sure trains get to their correct platform at their arrival time. Even with all the trains, switches, etc. being controlled by the computer, watching the number of trains stopping there would be an amazing sight, and make you think about how much stress the people working there are under making sure nothing goes wrong.

If buying 17 or the DLC's for T:ANE...

Is it all LOCKED again?

I will not buy anything anymore what I can't modify.

I hate locked routes and/or sessions!

☼?!?☼
Yes, all the routes in the release are payware. I second the your dislike of the locked down content.

Bob Pearson

Yes, all the routes in the release are payware. I second the your dislike of the locked down content.

Bob Pearson
Full disclosure, I don't do payware so I can't speak for those creators but I do wonder if the payware creators share this sentiment?

Full disclosure, I don't do payware so I can't speak for those creators but I do wonder if the payware creators share this sentiment?

Unfortunately those people that sell their wares through N3V, or have their routes included in the base products, end up with locked content. It's the problem which goes back to how N3V handles the DRM and packaging of the content. I understand that they don't want the routes and content stolen by the pirates, however, their blanket lock everything approach is wrong. The problem then is we use a built-in assets in a Trainz version which are not available on the DLS as they once were, or we've included what were once DLS assets only to end up with the same assets now locked as built-ins or part of the payware glob.

I've mentioned this issue numerous times and have presented a solution, well a suggested solution, because I'm not a programmer. What would be the best of both worlds is this:

1) If there are included routes, the routes themselves are locked along with any custom content. Anything else that's included remains DRM-free especially if it exists already on the DLS. The content can be built-in can remain as built-in and locked as it was in the past. There should be controls put in place to prevent built-ins from being copied or modified as they are now.

2) As a local user we should be allowed to modify, edit, and update this DRM'd content as long as we keep it on our hard drives locally. In this case there should be mechanisms in place to prevent the modified routes from being uploaded in any fashion including merged into another route should the local user decide to include a built-in route as part of their own, or as a method to circumvent the lock.

As far as other content such as locomotives and DRM packages, well they'll remain locked unless it's up to the original author to state otherwise. In the case of Jointed Rail, the same packages are also available, mostly, on their website so there's no reason then to purchase them from N3V and ending up with content that cannot be updated, fixed or changed locally.

John

Exactly!

That's why I have spend a few 100 hundred dollar at JR and not at N3V!

All JR stuff isn't locked.

Easy to repair if there's something broken in another tranz version.
Easy to skin and easy to install.
I can download the cdp's to my harddisk for storage and install whenever I like.

On a cool route I want to drive my own favorite locos and rolling stock.
This can not on N3V routes and/or sessions.

So, I'll stick to JR for getting content.

☼:wave:☼

I am sure this has been asked before, but after doing a search could not find the answer. What stuff from the Download Station will work with TMR2017?

I bought one route from N3V and it had faults that affected the playability. So will never buy again. In this case the creator gave me access to the unlocked route.
Because I always modify a route to the way I want, I will always go the JR way or use payware the doesn't have DRM.
Cheers,
Mike

Back