A New Dimension in Model Railroads

Tony_Hilliam

Trainz Plus - enjoy Trainz from just 20 cents a da
After almost 15 years since the first release of Trainz, the next release is all about Model Trainz. We're so excited about this and confident that train fans of all ages and persuasions will want to take a look at this unique and fascinating part of the hobby that we've created a whole new forum.

Read the latest blog here and discuss your thoughts in this this thread, or start your own threads to discuss other aspects.

You can also check out the Trainzportal Product Page here

You may also like this Model Trainz Screenshots thread.

We've moved a few other relevant threads to this forum. Feel free to discuss anything to do with Model Railroads here whether it is physical, the new TMR17 product or using previous versions of Trainz.

Also note that pre-orders for TMR17 will begin prior to December 4 and give immediate early-access to the latest TMR17 build.

Existing TANE owners can decide to purchase the stand-alone TMR17 to separate their "model" vs "prototypical" railroading, or they can purchase the TMR content set as DLC for TANE SP2. SP2 is currently in testing to ensure compatibility with TMR content. It is likely to still be in beta testing when we release TMR.

I would also like to point out that this version of Trainz is an additional product line and not a complete change of direction. We have plenty more prototypical routes heading your way.

Last edited:
I must admit that my first thought is that this is TANE with a different content set. Is there any functional difference between the two products?

What are the hardware requires for the new Trainz version?
The same as TANE or (hopefully) can those of us with older machinery run it?

TIA

Last edited:
Same engine, same minimum spec.

We expect existing TANE owners who want to experience this content to either buy the TMR version to add to their collection or to buy the DLC to include in their TANE install. This will require the SP2 version which will be ready for testing shortly. This is due to the Trainz-build and some new functionality.

Same engine, same minimum spec.

We expect existing TANE owners who want to experience this content to either buy the TMR version to add to their collection or to buy the DLC to include in their TANE install. This will require the SP2 version which will be ready for testing shortly. This is due to the Trainz-build and some new functionality.
Bugga.....Ahh well, looks like I stay with TS12 then........not enough cash to upgrade my computer to run T:ANE.
(The current machine is a Dell Vostro 220S with a Dual Core Pentium at 3.2GHz, 4Gb RAM and a NVidia 310 Video card.)
(I'm power supply and chipset limited) :(

So, basically, another T:ANE engined simulator geared towards models railroading, HO, N, O, S, LGB scales... or are you just labeling it as model railroading? Toy trainz simulator... the Thomas fans are going to have a fun time! That's great for them. This will also give me another reason to keep watching out for TSW, because I am not into the model railroad. I prefer prototypical, which a lot of railfans like.

Although I was initially lukewarm to the idea, the more I think about it the more I like it. No more distant horizon worries. No long and boring rides between interesting areas of a route. Tons of layouts from model railroad magazines to try without having to modify them to fit a prototypical paradigm. If even a small percent of those model railroaders become interested and get on board, that is still a lot of people. Even if they only test a new layout before actually building it, they might soon discover that a physical layout is not necessary to enjoy the hobby.

This will also give me another reason to keep watching out for TSW, because I am not into the model railroad. I prefer prototypical, which a lot of railfans like.

This. It makes my decision clear.

As I said years ago, I supported TANE because I thought it would take further steps towards prototyping and connecting an entire "world of rails." I can and do have model train layouts in real life. But what the majority of us can't do in real life is help build a full-scale railroad, or go on a real-world coast-to-coast interconnected rail journey, or point to a place on a globe and visit a famous full-scale railroad there.
Think model airplanes and RC versus FSX - Sure: some people may spend their time digitally reproducing their models and RC (in a sim). But what's game-changing -- and, I believe, profitable to the company that develops it -- is global-scale.

You can keep your digital rooms of small-scale trains. I'm glad that makes some people happy, and I know from Trainz' early history that they're good at it. I'll continue to gravitate to real-realism, rather than model-realism.

But what's game-changing -- and, I believe, profitable to the company that develops it -- is global-scale.

I'm probably wrong, but I haven't seen anything that suggests that TSW will be anything more than the present style routes in greater fidelity. World of rails died with MSTS2.

Erm where does it say this is a replacement for TANE? It doesn't so don't know what the doom and gloom brigade are worrying about, I have no desire to make model railways as I'm quite happy doing realistic ones without giant walls and such some prefer to make model train layouts, each to their own, there's room for both.

Even if you don't like the concept, the price is well worth it for that literal extra lifetime that comes with the game. I'm planning on buying at least ten!

Trainz has struggled to throw off the "model railway" stigma for nearly 15 years (I bought CE in 2001).

So now you go and do this :eek:

After the TANE fiasco, i have decided to have nothing more to do with Trainz.

I am certainly not interested in wasting more money on a toy train game.

Trainz has struggled to throw off the "model railway" stigma for nearly 15 years (I bought CE in 2001).

So now you go and do this :eek:

After the TANE fiasco, i have decided to have nothing more to do with Trainz.

I am certainly not interested in wasting more money on a toy train game.

To be fair, I have seen some on here who have asked for a model railway specific version so that's what N3V are sorting out (although gauging by your username it probably won't make much difference).

Shane

So, it's TANE with less content. Why would anybody really want this? Does the surveyor have a prebuilt model railroad setup to work with when creating a new route? If not... what's the point? It brings nothing new to the table... depressing.

Cheers,
SM

Last edited:
Hi Guyz,

I don't get it --- I read the article --

So, is TMR17 a stand-alone product, or a add-on for TANE??

Ish

Back