Path Rule by Mutton/Portals

justinroth

Hello, I am running TS12 and working on a large complex route (Columbus Ohio). I have been using the path rule by mutton and autodrive through trackmark to control a.i. traffic. I have normal portals set-up using quick portal manager to manage schedules. I have been starting up a session and letting it run a while before returning to my computer. Sometimes things are fine...I have an excel spreadsheet with the schedules so I can check what should have been produced and consumed on the route. Sometimes I have had problems with trains being consumed by portals and not releasing their path. After this occurs the junctions are permanently locked making the session unplayable. I also witnessed an a.i. come to a stop and start reversing for no reason at all...something I have never seen while using path rule/ autodrive. I have tested particular complex interlockings on a seperate test route to see how they behave i.e. what happens when three trains have a conflicting path, ect and they always work fine. Of course there is a lot more going on in the actual route and I fear other scripted assets could be causing some sort of unforeseen conflicts. I use my own signals which use RRsignals scripts, ATLS crossings and mostly JR loco's and rolling stock. Has anyone experienced similar problems that could offer some insight? Is there another method/rule that I could use instead? My goal really is to have a.i. running on their own without having to babysit them and this seems impossible in this game. The only alternative I can come up with is to buy a new SSD and install TANE and learn interlocking towers though there are multiple reasons I am hesitant to do that.

Hi

With regard to the train entering a portal and not clearing a junction. Is there sufficient distance for the longest train to clear the release trackmark, signal or junction before entering the portal? That's the only reason that I can think of that a train wouldn't clear the path. Have you looked at the path rule and driver commands by brummfondel which are available on the DLS? This system has the benefit of releasing junctions along a path as the train clears them. This rule also needs all signals along a path to be named which can be a big task if it hasn't been done as the route was built. It also needs to control the first signal along a path which can't always be done with some scripted signals.

If it is one junction that is always locked you could try to free it with the ReleaseJunction command by attilabarut which is built in to T:ANE (I don't know about TS12 but it will be on the DLS). Try using it before the path is called by every train which may ensure that all the junctions are available for the path. The risk with this is that it will clear the junction before the previous train has cleared it which will depend on the frequency of the trains but, if it works, you could use a variable to prevent a second train entering the path before the first one has exited it.

I have never seen trains reversing while using one of the autodrive/autopilot type commands as those commands are designed just to drive the train forward to or via a trackmark without any decision making, so I have no idea on that one.

Regards

Brian

As said the train must clear the last point before it enters the portal. Once a consist enters the portal the engine will be erased first and the consist will then loose its consist name/number even though the rear of the consist is still entering the portal. This means the rule has not been completed. A conflict may happen if the track beyond the release point is blocked or controlled by another train. The path rule must take the train all the way through to a dedicated track that is only one direction only. By this I mean a track that is not used for two way traffic unless under the path rule.

I have about two miles of track before or after portals containing only invisible signals and invisible speed limit signs, none of them are close to any junction. The path rule I am using is supposed to clear the junction(s) after passing a set junction, trackmark or trigger. I always use a trackmark to mark the end of a path and set the beginning of another as to keep my notes simple, an example of them here:
NS DAY-SAN

paths- YARD-NS

PATH-NS DAY-ALTON WEST EB
29720L 29716L 29712L 29610R adthrutm NS CLEAR ALTON WEST EB

PATH-NS ALTON EAST EB
29328L 28926R ADTHRUTM NS CLEAR ALTON EAST EB

PATH-NS HAGUE WEST EB
3646R 3704L 3856L ADTHRUTM NS CLEAR HAGUE WEST EB

PATH-NS HAGUE EAST EB
49288L HAGUE EAST CONTROLR HAGUE EAST SIDINGR 49990R ADTHRUTM NS CLEAR HAGUE EAST EB

PATH-NS CP139-138
72226R 75230L 77614R 48918R 45882R 6518L 10260L SCI-ICJ5L "ICJ3L" ICJ1L ICJ2R 79770L 10222R 83850R
84284L 84120L 99412L ADTHRUTM NS CLEAR CP139-138NB

PATH-NS WEBER NB
SET WEBERL WBR3R WBR2R WBR1R 108714R ADTHRUTM SET WORTH NB

PATH-NS WOR NB
111884R WORTHINGTON TOWER CONTROL 3 (CSX)R WORTHING TOWER CONTROL2R ADTHRUTM NS CLEAR WOR NB<-C

PATH NS FLINT-CP26 NB
66010R 65936L 124704R 136458L 136440R ADTHRUTM NS CLEAR FLINT-CP26<-C

PATH NS TROYTON-SAN NB
256L 151802L 157502R WALDO GRAIN SR WALDO GRAIN NL 161904R 161900L
ADTHRU TM NS CLEAR TROYTON NB<-C DRIVE TO PORTAL SAN_CONSUME

This rule allows signal to be set to a desired state but I do not use this function as the scripted signals do this already. I guess I will clone the session and try the rule by brummfondel though if I remember correctly I have tried this rule and it shows up in Russian characters.

Last edited:
paths- YARD-NS

PATH-NS DAY-ALTON WEST EB
29720L 29716L 29712L 29610R adthrutm NS CLEAR ALTON WEST EB

PATH-NS ALTON EAST EB
29328L 28926R ADTHRUTM NS CLEAR ALTON EAST EB

PATH-NS HAGUE WEST EB
3646R 3704L 3856L ADTHRUTM NS CLEAR HAGUE WEST EB

PATH-NS HAGUE EAST EB
49288L HAGUE EAST CONTROLR HAGUE EAST SIDINGR 49990R ADTHRUTM NS CLEAR HAGUE EAST EB

PATH-NS CP139-138
72226R 75230L 77614R 48918R 45882R 6518L 10260L SCI-ICJ5L "ICJ3L" ICJ1L ICJ2R 79770L 10222R 83850R
84284L 84120L 99412L ADTHRUTM NS CLEAR CP139-138NB

PATH-NS WEBER NB
SET WEBERL WBR3R WBR2R WBR1R 108714R ADTHRUTM SET WORTH NB

PATH-NS WOR NB
111884R WORTHINGTON TOWER CONTROL 3 (CSX)R WORTHING TOWER CONTROL2R ADTHRUTM NS CLEAR WOR NB<-C

PATH NS FLINT-CP26 NB
66010R 65936L 124704R 136458L 136440R ADTHRUTM NS CLEAR FLINT-CP26<-C

PATH NS TROYTON-SAN NB
ADTHRU TM NS CLEAR TROYTON NB<-C DRIVE TO PORTAL SAN_CONSUME.

The last bit of the path drive to portal can not be part of the path as the consist can not finish it. The engine would be deleted before the path rule was completed and this would be the same as a derailed train where the consist number/name is deleted before completion of rule. The TM must be the last instruction in the rule and needs to be further than consist length from portal.

The last bit of the path drive to portal can not be part of the path as the consist can not finish it. The engine would be deleted before the path rule was completed and this would be the same as a derailed train where the consist number/name is deleted before completion of rule. The TM must be the last instruction in the rule and needs to be further than consist length from portal.
PATH NS TROYTON-SAN NB
ADTHRU TM NS CLEAR TROYTON NB<-C DRIVE TO PORTAL SAN_CONSUME. The trackmark "NS CLEAR TROYTON NB" is well before the portal, as are all the others on my route before consuming portals. The path is set to clear upon passing this TM, which happens just fine. I tested it last night (the consist that last time started backing up for no reason) and the only problem I got was a script error when the consist was consumed from a Jointed Rail locomotive cab function, which happens with this particular loco.

I looked into brummfondels path rule, and went to implement it but unfortunately it will only control one block at a time, I need to control two to three blocks and/or complex interlockings. Only being able to set a path a block ahead will cause false signal aspects ect.

So I did find one method to fix the locked junctions. Save the driver session, go back in and then "freejunction" works....except when resuming saved driver sessions the sound is messed up. every time.

Hi again

Unless I've misunderstood you, you can set as many blocks ahead with the brummfondel path rule as you wish. Simply use a set path driver command for each path in sequence followed by an Autodrive command for the final trackmark. I have had to do this at times with UK semaphore signalling to get the aspects to show properly and keep the trains running at full speed.

Regards

Brian

Hi again

Unless I've misunderstood you, you can set as many blocks ahead with the brummfondel path rule as you wish. Simply use a set path driver command for each path in sequence followed by an Autodrive command for the final trackmark. I have had to do this at times with UK semaphore signalling to get the aspects to show properly and keep the trains running at full speed.
Regards

Brian

For some reason I was under the impression that Brummfondel's path rule would work like the other I was using, i.e. you have to have an autodrive command in between path commands. It does not and that works for me much better. The only problem I have ran into so far is the rule overriding scripted signals showing "extended" aspects however I was able to negate this by issuing a series of "set selected signal state"(to automatic) when needed. Thus far this seems to work, I guess I won't know until I have all paths set up and a bunch of A.I. on the route. My only hope is it will work better than Mutton's rule which seems to get confused a bunch.
Has anyone had experience using the "yard path alias" function of Brummfondel's rule? The explanation on his website is in broken English so I am having a tough time understanding what this feature does-what I gather is that it is a way to allow trains an alternate path, i.e. a passing siding or loop..the train will see an obstruction in it's normal path so it will take the alternate path when needed. Thanks.

Hi

I could never work out what the "yard path alias" was intended to do but you can choose alternative paths using variables and the conditional commands by trev999. On single line track I use this method to look ahead at passing loops so if the next section ahead is occupied the train will be put into the siding while if it is clear it keeps to the mainline. I also use 2 variables and the conditional commands as a directional token system on longer single line sections so that trains can follow into the section if they are travelling in the same direction. If any of this interests you then let me know and I can go into further detail.

Regards

Brian

"yard path alias" allows you to set up a number of paths that all finish at the same signal as a group. In other words you can set up paths from three platforms to the up main line and by using the alias command the loco will select the correct path no matter which platform it is on. Ideal if you use "copy commands" because you can set up a command for leaving a station regardless of the platform.

Peter

Back