UP Challenger project

dundun92

UK Content Creator
Hey everyone!
I have decided to make a freeware UP Challenger. As of now, I have only finished a basic mesh, so any help would be greatly appreciated. If you want to help, PM me. I also ask that no one mention ANL's UP steam fleet project. The areas I particularly need help with are the mesh, engine specs, and the front drive bogey frame(for the wheels, I'm using bdneals steam construction kit).
Well, bye for now!

Last edited:
The latest photo can be found on my website (uptrainz.webs.com)
Anim8or%202016-10-01%2008-50-30-377.jpg

>Wants to build a challenger as a first model

Chance brings up a pretty valid point here. It's best to start with something small like a simple building or a sign. Steam engines can take weeks or months to create properly. Jumping right in with a complicated model like this isn't the best choice.

I've seen others try to model steam engines as their first project...it usually doesn't go over well. But hey, to each their own, i guess.

Steam engines can take weeks or months to create properly.

That my friend... is another valid point.... as to why I, though I'd love to.. REALLY don't like the idea of creating my own steam engines, or modelling real ones.

I mean sure, it's great, with the knowledge and skills ANY locomotive can be yours even if it's not up on the DLS, but even though you MAY complete the boiler and such, the linkage is where some may halt.. not to mention making it move.. shudder.. :confused:

Plus with what I'm doing IRL right now I'd NEVER have the proper time to work on a steam locomotive..

Also I know it was said to avoid discouraging posts but.. :confused:

I wish you luck though.. :)

Last edited:
Also not to mention, Anl (might) re-upload his Challengers and all his other content onto Jointed Rail, it depends though since he is the creator of all the content and he can decide what he can do with them.

Actually, they were released ages ago, they were just re-uploaded because the website got hacked back in 2014, so this guy building a completely new challenger seems entirely pointless.

I do agree with you on the point that Dundun creating a new Late challenger IS pointless. But, if Dundun changed his mesh then he could 'easily' create the CSA Challenger of which has only been created once before (as far as I know) and THAT version is not available anymore. So then it would NOT be pointless for Dundun to create the early challenger. He could also use the TrainzItalia's bogies for the upgraded CSA challenger. A couple photos.

The CSA Challenger with the 6-axle tender.

da68c6f86e7a19323e09eb67d3280804.jpg

The Upgraded CSA Challenger. (Still uses the 6-axle tender.)
dcd65804317d4b8f23cf56177ffe3ce5.jpg

The late challenger. (Uses the most familiar 7-axle tender.
a6b9acccfe786dc58a94d64dafc30d16.jpg

Another cool addition Dundun could do is make the challenger have changeable running numbers, that is something ANL's version didn't have.

Back