Why do railroads prefer the K5HL-R2 over the regular K5HL?

jonwray

Hey everyone. This question's been brewing in my mind ever since I heard a K5HL-R2 for the very first time: Why do railroads seem to prefer the K5HL-R2 over the standard 1st gen K5HL, which is, in my opinion, the most beautiful sounding horn of all time? Is it something to do with noise levels, both trackside and in the cab? If you listen to a 1st-gen K5HL, and then listen to a K5HL-R2 like you see on newer GEVOs, I think you will agree that the former sounds a lot better. So why is the R2 variant more popular?

Probably because RR's and locomotive manufacturing companies are not railfans :hehe:

And maybe the supplier offered the different horn, at a cheaper price, per thousands of horns

Maybe they did a sound test and the other horn scared the bajesus' outa' automobile drivers at crossings, better

Last edited:
they don't "prefer" it. That reversal (everything backwards except the #2 bell) is the arrangement that meets FRA requirements for minimum db and maximum db when approaching a crossing. Also you speak of "generations"- there aren't K horn "generations" like there are for P horns (1st gen oval inlets old cast, 2nd gen circle inlet old cast, 3rd gen new cast). This is a misnomer as the "first gen" K horns date back to the 50s and 60s meanwhile "first gen" K5HL/LL horns would date back to 2000, still years before GEvos were being produced. Furthermore railroads couldn't just get more of these older cast horns because they're just that, old- eg. not being produced with the same casting anymore.

Personally I think the K5HL (1L 1 2 3 4) arrangement is a horrible muddy chord and all straight 3's should be replaced with 3A's [see NS 8101] but that's unrelated.

they don't "prefer" it. That reversal (everything backwards except the #2 bell) is the arrangement that meets FRA requirements for minimum db and maximum db when approaching a crossing. Also you speak of "generations"- there aren't K horn "generations" like there are for P horns (1st gen oval inlets old cast, 2nd gen circle inlet old cast, 3rd gen new cast). This is a misnomer as the "first gen" K horns date back to the 50s and 60s meanwhile "first gen" K5HL/LL horns would date back to 2000, still years before GEvos were being produced. Furthermore railroads couldn't just get more of these older cast horns because they're just that, old- eg. not being produced with the same casting anymore.

Personally I think the K5HL (1L 1 2 3 4) arrangement is a horrible muddy chord and all straight 3's should be replaced with 3A's [see NS 8101] but that's unrelated.
Figured it had something to do with noise levels. I wonder why the #2 bell not being reversed leads to a much lower pitched horn.

Hey everyone. This question's been brewing in my mind ever since I heard a K5HL-R2 for the very first time: Why do railroads seem to prefer the K5HL-R2 over the standard 1st gen K5HL, which is, in my opinion, the most beautiful sounding horn of all time? Is it something to do with noise levels, both trackside and in the cab? If you listen to a 1st-gen K5HL, and then listen to a K5HL-R2 like you see on newer GEVOs, I think you will agree that the former sounds a lot better. So why is the R2 variant more popular?
Note: I prefer a Nathan P5 but I will happily answer.The reason why the K5HL-R2 over the standard K5HL is because railroads often try to find the loudest and cheapest horns. Just like how people look at different cars.

Note: I prefer a Nathan P5 but I will happily answer.The reason why the K5HL-R2 over the standard K5HL is because railroads often try to find the loudest and cheapest horns. Just like how people look at different cars.
No. You literally have no idea what you're talking about.

What you just said doesn't even make sense- a K5HL and K5HLR2 are literally the exact same horn with the #2 bell flipped around.

No. You literally have no idea what you're talking about.

What you just said doesn't even make sense- a K5HL and K5HLR2 are literally the exact same horn with the #2 bell flipped around.

Dude listen. I have only grown up hearing Norfolk Southern's Nathan P5. And that's the only horn that I care about. And besides, I'm not like a 100% railroad genious. But I see that since that you think I'm dumb (I have As and Bs in school so far), then how about you answer it. (Not targeting or bullying. Just trying to prove a point)

Dude listen. I have only grown up hearing Norfolk Southern's Nathan P5. And that's the only horn that I care about. And besides, I'm not like a 100% railroad genious. But I see that since that you think I'm dumb (I have As and Bs in school so far), then how about you answer it. (Not targeting or bullying. Just trying to prove a point)

I already did! Two posts before yours! If you're not 'like a 100% railroad "genious"' then don't feel the necessity to answer questions you don't know anything about.

Last edited:
Therock,could you stop annoying Santafe8643,do not blame him,you started it mate.SORRY IF I AM CORRECT.
(I am probobly about %1 rail genius) Only started liking trains 2 years ago.

Last edited:
Therock,could you stop annoying Santafe8643,do not blame him,you started it mate.SORRY IF I AM CORRECT.
(I am probobly about %1 rail genius) Only started liking trains 2 years ago.

Dude, just let it go. It's not his fault that I realized that I was acting like an idiot before making this mistake.

@Therock, I'm sorry. I just thought you were being rude. My mistake.

Back