What do you think of the idea of a Download of the Week Competition?

Would you like to see a Download of the Week Competition on these forums?

• Yes

Votes: 78 62.4%
  • No

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 13 10.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The NMRA has always had contests and the DLS is getting 400 uploads a week so you can not keep up on what is good and what is bad, this could help find the good.

Agreed. White searches on the DLS show heaps and heaps of uploads, weekly.

No comments on ??????????? assets
No comments on EMU's I cannot start
No comments on DMU's that have no cab view
No comments on locomotives and loads that roll away when you've got the brakes on ...
No comments on heaps and heaps of scenery I may never use. A lot of that is brilliant, and needful.

No comments. All I am saying is that there are heaps and heaps of uploads, weekly.

Last edited:
I see, the forums oddly ate my post and now it has returned! Apologies for any anger caused!

Last edited:
I think the Screenshot should be in the minimum, I would not download something that I can not see.
I agree on that.
Maybe with the (obvious) exception for "rule" assets, though even then an interface screenshot or a drawing to explain what it does would be nice.

I see, the forums oddly ate my post and now it has returned! Apologies for any anger caused!
No clue who had removed it and why, but I have put it back yesterday (but didn't have the time to inform you yet).
It actually was still in the topic but was flagged "disapproved" (just like the way topics in the "Suggestion Boxcar" forum are by default) which made it hidden, so I approved it.

It seemed such a simple concept to expand upon "screenshot of the week" and add a new "download of the week" competition. As it turns out, nothing in the world of Trainz is ever easy. In the interests of maintaining harmony, we will drop the idea of voting on content directly.

I have opened a new thread for people to discuss alternatives to expose all that awesome content that is out there.

Content Showcase

Last week we explored the idea of a Download of the Week competition and while the yes vote "won" it is clear that we would be creating a potential "hotspot" for conflict.

There is a lot of content out there, and with hundreds of items being uploaded every week, it is hard for people to figure out which items might be of interest to them.

I would like to hear proposals for a simple user-controlled forum that provides people an opportunity to showcase recently uploaded interesting content and/or quality content from days gone by.

The goal is to select one item from the forum each week to highlight in the newsletter.

Your suggestions are welcome...

Hi Tony,

I may have jumped the gun a bit too soon earlier and apologize for any misunderstanding caused. Here is what I proposed earlier for Download of The Week in a now-removed post, which has been renamed Content Showcase; a most fitting title.

The primary goal of Content Showcase is for people to share creations that they think are great but may not be well-known to others and for everyone to discover new assets. For example, the JR F7 is a great engine and everyone has it, but what about the little Romanian narrowgauge steamer with custom cabs and start stop scripts that isn't on the DLS? Yes, non-DLS assets can be submitted as well because why not? The folk who are willing to download from third party sites discover a cool new asset and the folk who don't can just skip over it. Likewise assets made for all versions of Trainz can be submitted. In the spirit of sharing I feel it is counterproductive to have too many rules and restrictions.

The format is the same as SSOTW; every other week has a theme, everyone posts their entries prior to closing but there will be no voting. "Thank you" and "wow cool" type posts are permitted but in the interests of keeping Content Showcase inline with the above goals and to avoid conflict, please do not critique or review assets that others have posted. If it does not suit your tastes just move along.

1. Each user may post up to 3 assets.
.a) Can be from any source as long as it is available for free download during the competition.
.b) Can be for any version and build of Trainz.
.c) Can be an own creation or someone else's. If an own asset that is a derivative, please credit the original creator as well.
.d) Can be of any region or language.
.e) Can be a beta but should be stated as such if so.

2. Each entry should include at minimum:
.a) Item name
.b) Author name
.c) KUID (if on DLS) or download link* (if on 3rd party site)
.d) Compatible Trainz version/build
.e) Screenshot

3. Optionally include:
.f) Short description, notable features

4. Compliant with the week's theme, if any.

*Please ensure link is safe before posting. Any attempts to spread badware or otherwise direct users to harmful/inappropriate link either as an act of trolling or malice will be grounds for a ban.

I would be more than happy to oversee the execution of the above proposal.

Tony

In your closed threads you mention 'Screenshots Of The Week'. There is a difference here, in 'SOTW' the items to be judged are submitted by the creator. In your proposal, it seems (and I may be wrong) that other people will select an item downloaded from the DLS and submit it. In this case the creator has no choice in the matter, his content will be compared with others thus it becomes a competition and no different to your original proposal.

The goal is to select one item from the forum each week to highlight in the newsletter.

A comparatively simple solution would be to have creators OPT-IN to allow their content to be judged and at the same time they would become ineligible to vote. Perhaps creators who have left would be automatically classified as OPT-IN which would satisfy your 'days gone by' criterion.

Peter

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]T[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ony,[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I read with interest [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]your [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]comment that '[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]it is hard for people to figure out which items might be of interest to them[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]'. I would agree. An alternative might be to present 'Recent Arrivals This Week' in a simple thumbnail format with a brief description from the content creator.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]This would require more input from the content creator to define their contributions, with location, time period etc. It could be sorted by category, so you could click on locomotives or scenery items. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]If something piques your interest, you could copy the author name or kuid number to search for it.

Noel...
[/FONT]

If it is going to be a showcase of creations, their own or other's, than the presenter must state why they think the item they are highlighting is worthy. No need to have any formal voting if all we want is to bring hidden gems to the attention of a wider audience. I do agree that an opt-in clause should be used. Some people have early content that they might not think represents them well and would rather it was forgotten in the mists of time. Perhaps only the latest version should be eligible.

I'm happy for Nicky9499 to run with his proposal (since he's already setting up two posts it won't be much more to add a couple more posts each week) and let's see how it goes. If it works well, continue on. If there isn't much interest then make some changes

When announced, a picture is needed. Case in point, todays announcement

Download of the Week: Brick Office Set by paulzmayKUID: <kuid:134105:20400>
Build version: 3.5

This set of 50 office buildings share a common library to help with performance.

A picture would be worth a thousand more words . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back