What do you think of the idea of a Download of the Week Competition?

Would you like to see a Download of the Week Competition on these forums?

• Yes

Votes: 78 62.4%
  • No

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 13 10.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony_Hilliam

Trainz Plus - enjoy Trainz from just 20 cents a da
Hi folks. The Screenshot Competition has been around for as long as I can remember. We at N3V Games think the time has come to broaden our horizons and add a "Download of the Week Competition" and we'd love your feedback...

We envisage the competition would run in a similar manner to the screenshot competition. (See this thread if you would like to volunteer to become a coordinator).

Each week, a different them would be chosen e.g. Theme = coal mines.

People would post a screenshot of an item they have downloaded (or created) along with a description of the asset and any further interesting information such as poly count, LOD, scripting, how to use etc.

After a week of submissions, entries are closed off and voting begins with people voting on the item they like best (and based upon potentially different criteria as part of the theme).

Themes could be functional, regional, railroad specific, a particular asset type etc. Please feel free to throw your ideas into this thread as well.

Good question Dave - I have updated the introductory post with more details.

Let me know if that covers your question.

Hi Tony,

To answer your question, why not, right ...

I think this can be found, and also allow us a glimpse of what's being uploaded at the same time! :)

Ish

I vote for yes because this sounds like a excellent idea since the screenshot competition is lacking on the creative side when it comes to the themes.

Brilliant idea.

Also, it is a pleasure to download products that aren't faulty.
I downloaded a speedster built for 2004 and it worked, straight out of the cdp with no errors.

So I feel we are in for a good time with this new competition. :p

With over 400,000 assets on the DLS I often have problems finding things, anything that helps that process would be welcome.

quote :
With over 400,000 assets on the DLS I often have problems finding things, anything that helps that process would be welcome.​

Could not agree more. Bring it on......
helian43

Yes, I vote and an additional idea adding the pros and cons of why you selected the item. I think this would give the content creators some constructive crit feedback I am sure they would like to hear.

I vote not until things like this are removed from the DLS.....
0d07d94424.jpg

Don't forget gramma's Amtrak SDP70ACe
94cc89052b85389762b33468d5905fcf.png

Until things of quality come about and items like I put in the picture are removed, I will not participate in this event if it does come about.

Until things of quality come about and items like I put in the picture are removed, I will not participate in this event if it does come about.

"Dear sir/mam, I, the overlord and self-righteous Vinnie, have decided that I don't like your content and it's not good enough to be on a free website where anyone can upload what they have created."

Think before you speak. Who decides quality? Who tests every piece of content uploaded? If you're rejected then what? You're barred from uploading content?

Way to put people off sharing their stuff, man.

nice personal attack, btw. You've broken so many more rules of the CoC than gramma did by uploading that.

@Tony: I'd rather see your item of the week in the newsletter expanded. If you're interested in showing off the game, perhaps not use rules or surveyor items to advertise. Shiny locos with shadows work better.

Way to put people off sharing their stuff, man.

nice personal attack, btw.
Thank you for your generous input & kind words!

I almost forgot why I don't post anything on here. Thanks for the reminder.

Not responding to this anymore, so have fun.

Nope, I don't see this as the next hottest thing. To be honest, competition on this front is not what this community needs. It seems the kids on this forum already think there is some kind of payware freeware godship pecking order in place and the last thing that needs to be done is to reinforce that notion. What we need is a promotion of respect and understanding that content creation takes time and isn't about one-upping someone. I do it for the enjoyment of the art, and I feel like the most effective community does as well. Sure there is such thing as friendly competion, but I would be lying if I said I have ever seen the likes of that here when you try to pit creators against eachother whether directly or by third part. Just my thoughts.

Thank you for your generous input & kind words!

I almost forgot why I don't post anything on here. Thanks for the reminder.

Not responding to this anymore, so have fun.

Because people call you out for being rude? Act your age.

XD

Nice job Vinnie. Ya done went and pissed off the great and almighty Jamie! You better run for teh hills before he gets ya!

H222 said:
Because people call you out for being rude?

When people call YOU out for being rude, you get all pissy and go off on a tangent, making you look just as childish. Amazing how people like you are still allowed here. It's a good thing this forum has lax-enough rules to prevent you from being banned! :hehe:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back