Making Trainz Movies

Mick_Berg

Not sure where to put this thread but;

I am trying to make a movie of my route. I'm wondering if anyone has done this before and can give me advice as to what settings to use to get the best quality. So far, as soon as I capture with FRAPS, the quality goes down to the point where I'm not satisfied.

I plan to capture the movie with FRAPS, edit it with NCH's VideoPad editor, and convert it to a reasonable size with VLC, because the free Videopad will not do conversions. (Fair enough, it's a very decent editor for the price!)

I'm running TANE at 1920x1080 half vertical sync. I'm quite happy to reduce the size of the display on screen if that helps. In fact I often run TANE that way with the forum up on screen at the same time. The joys of Windows 10!

Thanks,
Mick

Mick --

No, no, stick with the full (payware) FRAPS. It's an excellent video recorder.

Keep your normal setting and record full screen. The files you get from FRAPS, though, will be enormous.

To join and compress I use a free application, "virtualdub". Documentation is sparse, but to join videos:

Select Video/Direct stream copy.
Select Audio/Direct stream copy.
Open first video file.
File/Append AVI segment.
Select second video file.
Repeat with all video files.​

And then to make a compressed HD video suitable for uploading to youtube:

Video/Full processing mode
Video/Compression
Choose codec = Xvid MPEG-4 Codec
Configure DivX 1080HD -- more = H.263
Single pass
10000 for Target bitrate (maximize to increase file size and definition)
Audio/Full processing mode
Audio/Compression = MPEG Layer-3
File/Save as AVI​

I've just uploaded a Trainz video to youtube.

FRAPS generated 5 files totalling 37GB. Virtualdub compress this to 774MB.

This is the final result. Watch full screen and 1080p:

Phil

Hello Mick,

This is how I do it, that includes music in the background

1. I use Frap --

2. Then Freemake Video Converter (website - http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/ ) free download -- it compresses and convert videos to any format that you like -- At this step is about taste, ex: how big or small, or how sharp or quality you want your video -- the program basically helps you decide!

3. I use window video maker to add extra stuff and effects to my videos, like music and / or clipart, etc ....

Example videos from my desert interactive route here:
http://forums.auran.com/trainz/entry.php?932-quot-Desert-Interactive-Railroads-quot

Good Luck :wave:

Ish

free Fraps gives up to 30 second videos, with a Fraps name watermark
free Bandicam does nicely
MS MovieMaker does good editing

Most people follow along in chase mode, pacing a train in a Trainz whirlybird, trackingview ... Very unprototypical !

Others set up right at a RR crossing with overly loud clanging bells, blowing out the sound system with blaring horns ... better to set up 500' distant a crossing, or several hundred feet distant the tracks.

Use many hundreds of of 5-8 second long edited movie segments, all merged together ... as any longer than 10 seconds loses the viewers attention span !

Others have a 2 minute long view of a train coming down a straight tangent of track ... how long winded and totally boring !

Use trackside rotating cameras to catch the action

Last edited:
Mick,

The ability to record games and other programs is built right into Windows 10.

Press Windows + G to record plus it has other features.

https://mspoweruser.com/how-to-record-your-screen-using-the-built-in-screen-recorder-on-windows-10/

Once done you will need some other program, such as Camtassa or others to edit your video and assemble your final video.

Hi John --

Our of curiosity, sir, I tried Windows + G while in surveyor, but nothing happened, except that the screen flashed twice -- That's about it!

Ish

Thanks everyone, I wasn't asking for software suggestions, just settings to get the best results. So extra thanks to Philskene for the settings suggestions.
Mick

Mick,

The ability to record games and other programs is built right into Windows 10.

Press Windows + G to record plus it has other features.

https://mspoweruser.com/how-to-record-your-screen-using-the-built-in-screen-recorder-on-windows-10/

Once done you will need some other program, such as Camtassa or others to edit your video and assemble your final video.

That's interesting, I'll give it a go to check it out, (EDIT: Maybe not, it specifically states it doesn't do high-res, I can do lo-res right now!) but I've always been a Fraps fan. The suggested OBS looks interesting though, I'm a great fan of open-source software!
Cheers!

Last edited:
just settings to get the best results
Mick

Mick, it's why I wrote #2 in my post!
Quality and sharpness is up to you ... There's no set standards since everyone video cards and pcs are different, so it's really hard to say -- I can give you my settings, but then you might put time into it, duplicating what I have done, and then discovered later is not for you -- Also, if you upload to youtube it could kick back to a lower resolution, etc ...

I use Frap too, and you will need a converter (software), as I suggested , because the video are way to huge, and youttube, etc will simply kick it back!

Lastly, You just need to experiment and see what works for you!

Anyhow, good luck!
Ish

Last edited:
Snip.................

Lastly, You just need to experiment and see what works for you!

Anyhow, good luck!
Ish
Ish, I've spent a lot of time experimenting to find the best settings. I was just hoping someone might have found the magic numbers. I will try what Philskene suggested. VLC has a good converter and it's free.
Cheers.

Mick --

No, no, stick with the full (payware) FRAPS. It's an excellent video recorder.

Keep your normal setting and record full screen. The files you get from FRAPS, though, will be enormous.

To join and compress I use a free application, "virtualdub". Documentation is sparse, but to join videos:
Select Video/Direct stream copy.
Select Audio/Direct stream copy.
Open first video file.
File/Append AVI segment.
Select second video file.
Repeat with all video files.​

And then to make a compressed HD video suitable for uploading to youtube:
Video/Full processing mode
Video/Compression
Choose codec = Xvid MPEG-4 Codec
Configure DivX 1080HD -- more = H.263
Single pass
10000 for Target bitrate (maximize to increase file size and definition)
Audio/Full processing mode
Audio/Compression = MPEG Layer-3
File/Save as AVI​

I've just uploaded a Trainz video to youtube.

FRAPS generated 5 files totalling 37GB. Virtualdub compress this to 774MB.

This is the final result. Watch full screen and 1080p:

Phil
Thanks Phil. Your video is of long distance shots, whereas mine will be much closer detail (helicopter chase mode following the train just overhead. Anyway we'll see what happens.

In the days I used Virtualdub it was quite a spartan way of editing videos, so I started looking for something more intuitive with a more user friendly interface.

One I can recommend is Shotcut, open source and free. It has a learning curve though.

The other is a professional video editor used by the motion picture industry called Lightworks. The free version only requires signing up, but if you want to use an editor that has been used in movies like Pulp Fiction, here's your chance. ;)

Greetings from tropical Amsterdam,

Jan

Ish, I've spent a lot of time experimenting to find the best settings. I was just hoping someone might have found the magic numbers. I will try what Philskene suggested. VLC has a good converter and it's free.
Cheers.

Ok, dokie. sir -- :wave:

And to add, our dearly friend Phil has the right formula! Go with that, and see how it goes! -- Even post it up here when you get to that stage!

Kind Regards
Ish

Most people follow along in chase mode, pacing a train in a Trainz whirlybird, trackingview ... Very unprototypical !
Use trackside rotating cameras to catch the action
You make some great points about video composition.

On the other hand, I can see why philskene (for instance) would create a following view for his routes. This specialized kind of video introduces the overall layout for those that might be (or become) interested in downloading the route.

It would be interesting to see philskene's model railroad layouts captured with the trackside camera views as you suggest. It would be possible to position cameras to avoid capturing walls and such to the point that it would not even appear to be a model layout.

I just might add this to my to-do list. I'll get around to it in the next year or two...

My aim is to produce a video that will show what the route was like in operation, for friends of mine who only knew of it after it was closed. So "Whirlybird" view is the best approach for me, I think. I also need to annotate the video, with both text and narration, so some heavy editing will be needed.

First attempts with Phil's settings are encouraging.

VLC allows you to watch in black and white. It looks great, all the glaring mismatched Trainz textures blend together, and it has a definite 'fifties feel.

Mick

Back