Some questions on Content Manager

RocketeerDon

Hey folks - I'm relatively new to Trainz and have a couple of questions on CM (well, actually many, but I like to start small . . .).

If I understand correctly, when an asset is updated, it gets a new version number and the previous version becomes obsolete. So why is the older obsolete version kept in the content manager database? And is it OK (or even beneficial) to delete it?

Actually, the real question I have is Is there some more in depth documentation (i.e., besides the manual and Wiki) where one could learn more about the inner workings of Trainz?

Thanks in advance.

Don

Last edited:
So why is the older obsolete version kept in the content manager database? And is it OK (or even beneficial) to delete it?
There is no reason for keeping it around, and you may as well delete it. If there turns out to be a problem with the update, you can always download the original again.

There is one exception to being able to delete obsolete assets and that's if it's a built-in asset. If it's a built-in asset it will not be removable via Content Manager.

Shane

I recommend setting up some filters in Content Manager so that you can manage the obsolete and out-of-date assets.

I have setup the following filters which work very well:

Out of date = true

2) Obsolete and NOT Built-in (Named as such the NOT is bolded here for emphasis)

Obsolete = True

Built-in = False

My process to check these assets is as follows:

1) Check the Out-of-date first.

2) Download any assets.

3) Check faulty for missing dependencies and errors.
This is to see if the update actually fixed something as there have been a few which broke the installed version.

4) Go to the Obsolete and NOT built-in and delete the assets that have been updated.

Remember, depending upon how many backups you have setup, you can always restore a deleted or modified assets by dragging the deleted asset back into Content Manager from the Backups folder.

Thanks for the answers. But of course it leads to more questions.

There is one exception to being able to delete obsolete assets and that's if it's a built-in asset. If it's a built-in asset it will not be removable via Content Manager.

Shane

So if you can't delete obsolete assets because they are built-in, what happens to them? If they can't be removed via Content Manager, how can they be removed?

Don

I recommend setting up some filters in Content Manager so that you can manage the obsolete and out-of-date assets.

Out of date = true

2) Obsolete and NOT Built-in (Named as such the NOT is bolded here for emphasis)

Obsolete = True

Built-in = False

2) Download any assets.

This is to see if the update actually fixed something as there have been a few which broke the installed version.

4) Go to the Obsolete and NOT built-in and delete the assets that have been updated.

Remember, depending upon how many backups you have setup, you can always restore a deleted or modified assets by dragging the deleted asset back into Content Manager from the Backups folder.

JCitron - I set up the filters. Ran Out-of-Date first. I get 81 hits.
48 are "Available for download - Obsolete"
33 are either "Built-In" or "Installed, Payware"

What assets am I to download? All that are available to download are already obsolete.

How does "Out of Date" relate to "Obsolete"

Sorry - I seem even more confused than my usual confused state :)

Don

Out of date = true

Obsolete = True

Built-in = False

2) Download any assets.

I'd recommend one further step as good practice after any asset updates / downloads:
5) Select the 'Open for editing' filter. Then select all assets (if any) that show up, right click and choose 'revert if unchanged.'

I see so many people having problems which are most likely due to one or more assets being left in an 'open for editing' state.

@RocketeerDon, Trainz patches / updates may clear out obsolete built-ins. Otherwise, don't worry about them; apart from taking up a bit of disk space they won't do any harm.

John

Back