There's a new train a coming

I was an early adopter of the beginning of this product line. It had great promise until Sir Paul turned it into a game, which is his background. Development ceased and the appearance suffered as well as the program being unable to perform some normal railroad tasks. I still have the TS2016 on my system and occasionally look at it to see if anything changed, but alas, no changes outside of gaming improvements. I am not going to drop $45 US for a TS2017 pioneering version. We have all been down that route.

Hi everybody.
As someone who purchased almost all versions of Trainz prior to T:ane, I feel that the greatest threat to this sim does not come from the Dovetail simulator but events in the wider gaming world announced in the last week or so.

In the above, I have found windows gaming in recent years over complex and in that respect Trainz less enjoyable as a hobby. I realize that many find the complexity of windows gaming very much part of the enjoyment, but for me like many others the simplicity of the mobile gaming platforms has become ever more attractive as the apps and the devices to engage in that gaming have become ever more powerful.

Therefore, the announcement that the 1.8 million android gaming apps on the Google play store would be made available on the Google OS platform a few months ago “raised many eyebrows”. It was expected that it would take many months for the plans to come to any sort of fruition, (if ever). However, in the last two weeks three OS platform devices have received the ability to download and run Android apps with google announcing that over fifty more will receive the same upgrade and ability prior to Christmas.

The importance of the foregoing means that Google mobile apps will now be available to be enjoyed on large screen laptops and desktops running the google OS platform throughout the world. Apple have also announced (I believe) similar plans for the merger of the iphone/ipad IOS platform with Mac devices which will have the same large screen benefits for its users.

Many analysts are now expressing the view that the above developments have “completely reset the scene” in the gaming industry as there will be an ability to enjoy the same game on a large or small screens, indoors or out.

The foregoing development along with the the new environment of augmented reality gaming puts mobile platform developers firmly in the driving seat in terms of customer attraction into the future. I do believe that the windows pc gaming platform will continue, but it will become a niche market for very high end gaming with perhaps the present problem of finding gaming app developers wishing to produce for such a market increasing.

Bill

careful, that is close to fanboi territory. :eek:

There's a difference between being a "fanboi" and trusting in a company. A fanboi believes N3V can do no wrong and will continue supporting N3V to no end, even supporting them when they do something most of the community disagrees with. Being loyal to a company usually means the company has a good record when it comes to titles under their belt, and since Railworks all the way up to TS2016 are all pretty solid titles, i think DTG has earned their loyal fanbase. I may not use TS2016 as much as TS12, but i trust in DTG to make a quality game as they have before (except for the franchise becoming DLC Quest 2.0).

sigh, only page two and this already? Besides, what's so wrong with "a dark, interactive scenery sim?" Their colours are generally darker, more gritty, there is an interactive element to some of it, there is lots of scenery and it is a sim.

Based on H222's delivery and overall view towards this coming game and it's possible fanbase, he's saying this as if the trains aren't going to be the main focus, and that it's just gonna be "Screenshot Sim World", which is very unlikely. Yeah, the colors are darker, and the shading isn't as bright as what he might be used to in T:ANE, but the real world can be like that, and it adds to the game's realism.

Besides, this is a "train simulator". Does that automatically mean it has to look bright and cheery like a Thomas lover's newest fan character? I don't think so.

Vern said:
...but for "Next" they need to be considering that same quantum leap, perhaps.

I tell ya, if NEXT really is gonna be a subscription based service like it was rumored to be, then DTG is gonna overtake N3V in every way possible with the eventual release of TSW (maybe).

If you can't easily create your own route in a sim, and do all the multitude of things "that you can do" in Trainz ... that steers me away from a "driving" game, that has a gigantic HUD blocking the view

@Bill - If the Android version of Trainz is so popular, why are there tumbleweeds, er, tumbling in the Android section of this very forum?

I bought the Android version of Trainz to try while my laptop was away being repaired and it is utter crap. @2003 era routes, trains with unrealistic performance, a Class 37 that uses the original Auran Alco sound. No means to filter available content except by scrolling down a very long list of items, many with little or no information as to whether you're getting a decent route or a circle of track on a blank baseboard. Creating a route with a finger pen on screen and the limited assets supplied is a non-starter. Not to mention the storage capacity on the Android would be filled up with one decent sized PC version route and all its assets.

Leave the tablets for Clash of Clans and Boom Beach, the PC is where programmes such as Trainz and indeed TSW belong.

I tell ya, if NEXT really is gonna be a subscription based service like it was rumored to be, then DTG is gonna overtake N3V in every way possible with the eventual release of TSW (maybe).

As I read it, only the Multiplayer surveyor is going to be subscription based, maybe....

TSW:

I wasn't aware of TSW so I Googled it. Here's a link for those that are in the dark like myself. Very pretty graphics, much better than any version of Trainz - judging by the screenshots!

[url]http://train-simulator.com/

[/URL]

Last edited:
Do you mean the image of a CSX 232 loco with the fellow wearing the white hardhat in front? Looking at it from a photographic point of view, it's an impressive picture but I wonder where all the lights are coming from. Is this all in game as-is?

It will be cool if you can really climb up in the cab and drive the train. The more N3v or TS2017 can make their train games more like the real thing instead just simulation I'm all for that.

Hi everybody.
@Bill - If the Android version of Trainz is so popular, why are there tumbleweeds, er, tumbling in the Android section of this very forum?
I bought the Android version of Trainz to try while my laptop was away being repaired and it is utter crap

Vern, the current Android version of Trainz is at least four years old and without any update in all that time. I would agree with you that it is complete crap, not popular, and by comparison with much else that is available by way of gaming on the Android platform at present very poor. That stated, the vast majority of apps on that platform at prsent are in my opinion great.

However, my posting at #22 of this thread was in regard to the future of large screen gaming on Android and the Apple IOS platforms which many feel in the light of recent developments is a real game changer ( pun intended ).:D

Edit:, these are the Google OS system devices google Andriod will be running on along with the 21 inch screen of the Google OS desktop http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwyMH8wS0

Bill

Last edited:
As a content creator I would never make for that, I could not get the detail they have as you would need to have the real thing to go over and photograph, something most of us can not do. Most of what I make is no longer here or in a museum.

I must admit the current Train Simulator TS2016 graphics are very impressive and I'm sure their 2017 edition will quite likely to be even better but to owning the simulator is akin to building a model railway where every add-on is an additional cost, hence I opted for Trainz which even with the occasional shortfall I believe has still been the right decision for me.

As for the Android version of Trainz considering it is four years old, will run on a device, readily available for less than £50 in the UK with practically no processing power and even less RAM it has been quite an achievement and even more so when compared with the cost and computing assets required to run T:ANE under Windows. Peter

TSW:

I wasn't aware of TSW so I Googled it. Here's a link for those that are in the dark like myself. Very pretty graphics, much better than any version of Trainz - judging by the screenshots!

http://train-simulator.com/

Do you mean the image of a CSX 232 loco with the fellow wearing the white hardhat in front? Looking at it from a photographic point of view, it's an impressive picture but I wonder where all the lights are coming from. Is this all in game as-is?

Having browsed around the TSW site I'm quite impressed by the quality of all the screenshots, if they're indicative of the quality of the game/sim then it's got hold of Trainz at the bollocks!

Rob.

I don't want to have to create fully-interactive models, TSW's got the adaptability as GTA. Nobody want to spend freetime creating models that comply with Unreal standards, if you have the ability to spend much time on that as a 'hobby', you definitely deserve to make it a payware model, and a damn-costly one, at that.

TS2017, I take back what I'd earlier said; it's the same as TS2016, 15, 14 with a slew of routes, which is what makes the game costly: effort from content creators. They don't care to add advanced graphics, as long as the content is long-standing and very good. N3V favors spending money on a slamming new engine, rather than paying to have stellar content made. 2 different routes here (even if on has been funded by the company).

I watched the Johnstown to Altoona video, and the terrain is way off, and looks like pristine well manicured parkland, where in real life the areas has steep cliffs and rocky cuts, with copperhead and timber rattler infested stickerbush, a real no mans land jungle of kidzu. Besides having the Johnstown station canopy missing, as well as the Cassandra Overlook iron bridge missing, the Cresson flyover is vaguely represented as to what what it should be in PRR days. If I had this sim I would want to be able to edit the route, and correct allot of the inadequacies, and the RJ Corman Irvona line is missing, as well as the NantyGlo branch. I would not want a huge HUD taking up the majority of the screen ... etc ... etc ...

Beware of good looks ... that goes for women also !

Last edited:
watched the Johnstown to Altoona video, and the terrain is way off, and looks like pristine well manicured parkland

Well that is "old" TS/Railworks, which frankly does suffer badly when it comes to how the terrain is painted. Train Sim world (which is what we're discussing here) will be a different beast altogether (I hope).

I don't want to have to create fully-interactive models, TSW's got the adaptability as GTA. Nobody want to spend freetime creating models that comply with Unreal standards, if you have the ability to spend much time on that as a 'hobby', you definitely deserve to make it a payware model, and a damn-costly one, at that.

This I fear could be the Achilles Heel of TSW and why, much to my own surprise, despite being excited by the prospect of a new sim I have serious doubts that it will sit comfortably within the paradigm of home/hobby level freeware creation. We know that the DTG business model very much revolves around selling high quality DLC to finance their product and this will I feel be their No.1 priority on release.

So I find myself actually wanting to defend Trainz (within reason) during this interesting period, but with the caveat that Tony and his team must take heed of what's happening in Chatham. This is probably not the place for a new Trainz wish list, but I would say the first essential has got to be the much requested built in scenario and timetable editor* for the player train. No clunky "session" command instruction compiling. Crisp and clean. And, please get rid of those red/green point indicators which shout UTC.

*Even the freeware Open Rails (aka MSTS++) has a built in timetable compiler.

Hi everybody.
Is there any prospective release date for TSW as this sim was first announced over two years ago. I like many had given up on the project ever "seeing the light of day" being DGs commitment to relaunching windows flight simulator and their move into other mobile market platforms

So, is there any release date or is this just a ploy to gain advertising for Train Simulator 17 which was also spoken about in the same advertising brief that I watched.

Bill

I'm fairly certain in the presentation it mentions something like December for public beta access and "go live" sometime in Spring 2017.

Public BETA in Dec this year.release Feb 2017.so we won't have long to wait to see it in reality.
Peronally I think it will blow all the other train sims out of the water.But as I said we will soon be able to judge for ourselves

Back