Amtrak Unveils New Acela Trains

Supposed to replace the current consists (do we even use those things?) by 2021.

“The Northeast Corridor is a national economic engine that carries a workforce contributing $50 billion annually to the national GDP,” said U.S. Senator Cory Booker, D, NJ. “Amtrak’s continued investment in modernizing its fleet will only serve to enhance this vital rail link between Boston and Washington D.C. while allowing for safer and faster travel at a time when passenger demand is expected to rise.”

You may not use them but a lot of people do.

Is its me or do the new sets look, not ugly but, worse? it almost looks like it has a piece of tape over its mouth or something. Also the video says it can operate up to 220, but if I remember correctly the current sets and only hit 150 (there top speed) in one small section of the line.

I'm glad that they're getting new trains, but if they can redesign the paint scheme, that'll be even better. The paint scheme at the front just looks weird. I can't help but think of several Shinkansen models, especially the 800, E2, E3, and W7 series models. Then again, I think it's (Amtrak's new trains) the same model as Germany's ICE-3 type high speed trains.

Hi everybody.
It does not matter what these sets look like , they are their to produce a function. That function being to get people who use them on an every day basis to their destinations quickly and on time. As already stated in this thread those persons produce millions every day for the American economy that contributes greatly to keeping the whole country running.

Function is what these sets are to be brought into service for by way of those that need them everyday, and nothing else.

And that's how it should be.
Bill

Hi everybody.
It does not matter what these sets look like , they are their to produce a function. That function being to get people who use them on an every day basis to their destinations quickly and on time. As already stated in this thread those persons produce millions every day for the American economy that contributes greatly to keeping the whole country running.

Function is what these sets are to be brought into service for by way of those that need them everyday, and nothing else.

And that's how it should be.
Bill

That is very true, but on the other hand a sharp looking train can draw more people to it and aid in performing that function.

Is its me or do the new sets look, not ugly but, worse? it almost looks like it has a piece of tape over its mouth or something.

I agree, makes me feel like they stuck another part of a train on the front of it.. If they changed the front, maybe it wouldn't ruin the look of the set.. Or if they tried another paint scheme.. :confused:

I personally think that it looks really good and sleek. This is also something useful that Amtrak really needs on the Northeast Corridor

I agree, makes me feel like they stuck another part of a train on the front of it.. If they changed the front, maybe it wouldn't ruin the look of the set.. Or if they tried another paint scheme.. :confused:

I'm guessing they're actually trying to make it look French. AFAIK the sets are based off of the Pendolino design and are made by Alstom, the TGV company. But I think we are very far away from a TGV-like network here. :(

You lot must be slow or something, this has been news for about a week! :hehe: :)

Don't tell me that's the colour scheme that Amtrak has chosen?

Why use the word "Avelia" instead of using say "Liberty Xpress", "Liberty eXpress", "Liberty Express", or maybe just "Liberty" & maybe call them the "Liberty Class"?

Last edited:
You lot must be slow or something, this has been news for about a week! :hehe: :)

Don't tell me that's the colour scheme that Amtrak has chosen?

Why use the word "Avelia" instead of using say "Liberty Xpress", "Liberty eXpress", "Liberty Express", or maybe just "Liberty" & maybe call them the "Liberty Class"?

"Avelia" is the brand name for that type of Alstom high speed train. It isn't specific to Amtrak. If I had to guess the name will change before the final unveiling, like the Acela did (originally it was going to be called the "American Flyer")

peter

(originally it was going to be called the "American Flyer")
Me thinks that name was changed for "other reasons", due to a model rail company that has/had that name.

If I had to guess the name will change before the final unveiling
Hope so! Liberty Belles maybe?

PS: Wonder what they'll do with the Acelas? Perhaps convert them to 1500 V DC, and use for NSW Intercity/Interurban services - although most commuters will "whinge" but we DON'T want second hand trains, blah, blah.

Well I am from the other side of the pond too and I think it looks first class and a great rail step forward and catching up with so much of the world elsewhere. So well done to Amtrak for all the passing wee moans!

I'm on the other side of the pond.

What happened to the metroliners?

They went out of service in the late 1980s. Most of them were converted to push pull cab cars for use on the Keystone Corridor. The "Metroliner" service however was still kept for a few years after. Nowadays it has just been replaced entirely with the Northeast Regional, sporting ACS64s and Amcans

Last edited:
Back