The Mojave & Panamint Railroad

Kegg_Works

Greetings all! For a while I've been posting some screenshots of a route I've been steadily working on in another forum threat. Specifically the Narrow Gauge Screenshots thread. Though there is a fair amount of Standard Gauge on this route to, so I thought I would create a new thread to showcase the route's progress in more detail. And yes, this will be a freeware route when finished.

The route I'm working on is a "Plausible" or "What-If" sort of line, a freelance narrow gauge desert dweller called the Mojave & Panamint railroad. It was inspired by an HOn3 model railroad created by Craig Tice and featured in the Feb. 93' issue of Railroad Model Craftsman. It was a wonderful freelance line that operates along the western shores of Searles dry lake, north to Ballarat, CA. I found it a very original idea for a freelance railroad I elected to take a crack at it in Trainz!

The map was made by a friend in TransDEM or the region and it is HUGE!! So be forewarned, this is a massive route with both narrow and standard gauge lines. (Thanks again, Curtis!!)

One thing I love about this route is how arid and lonesome it is, something it has in common with another well known slim gauge line, the Southern Pacific narrow gauge.

arid_lonesome_by_gunslinger87-d9zin1p.jpg

teaser_1_by_gunslinger87-d9zio1o.jpg

view_from_up_top_by_gunslinger87-d9zjguk.jpg

approaching_valley_wells_by_gunslinger87-d9zji3j.jpg

These first few shots were taken during early progress on the route. As well as before I created some custom reskins for some of the motive power and rolling stock. The last shot here shows a train approaching Valley Wells, CA. Which is just above Searles Lake. It is also a crucial spot on the railroad's right-of-way as it is the only place where water can be found until the railroad's northern terminus at Ballarat. Water is loaded into tank cars and then drained and pumped into a water tank at the railroad's summit at Slate Range Pass. More on that later though.

panamint_jct_2_by_gunslinger87-d9zi5l0.jpg

Here is an early shot of Panamint Junction. In the cannon that Craig Tice created for the M&P, the line interchanged with the Standard Gauge Los Angeles & Independence RR which indeed had plans to make its way into Searles and Death Valley. However in reality those plans never came to fruition, but in this case they did. The LA&I's Right-of-Way is actually what is the Trona RR. All ov which is included in with the route as well as a small portion of the SP's Jawbone Branch and line heading west to Mojave. The SG line to Mojave hits the map's edge a mile or so west of Rand, CA. All of those SG lines will be modeled also. In any case, Panamint Junction rests just under Searles Lake along the Trona RR's strait and flat section south of the lake.

on_the_gallows_by_gunslinger87-d9znh15.jpg

Here is another early shot of the engine facilities at Panamint Jct. Also seen is one of the locos reskined for the Mojave & Panamint. The locomotive is one of Togog's D&RG C-16 locos.

Very interesting story your telling, i want to make sure i understand something correctly, this is a fictional route?
Thankyou for sharing and pictures are awesome.

Agreed it looks lonesome as a Western outpost in the desert. Gives good appeal for what your trying accomplish here.

Keep the pics n storytelling coming.

Continuing from the first post here are some shots of reskined equipment for the Mojave & Panamint.

mp_no_4_by_gunslinger87-d9zne3x.jpg

mp_coach_by_gunslinger87-d9zngi2.jpg

mp_waycar_by_gunslinger87-d9zneq6.jpg

I still have several locos and cars I'm working on reskinning for the M&P and I'll post shots of them as they progress. Next up is an updated pic of the turntable. The ground texture was reskined upon request by Pencil42, who'm I am ever so grateful for his help.

panamint_jct_gallows_by_gunslinger87-d9zycke.jpg

The next major stop north of Panamint Jct. is Valley Wells. As mentioned this is a crucial part along the railroad as it is the only place where water can be found between it and Ballarat, CA. That's quite some distance and so it is necessary to ship water via tank cars to the summit at Slate Range Pass to be pumped into water tanks there. Here is an early shot of Valley Wells. I've made quite a lot of progress since this shot so I'll have to take another one soon to show the updates.

valley_wells_by_gunslinger87-d9zk6wq.jpg

The grades are pretty moderate between Panamint Jct. and Valley Wells. Maxing out at around 1.7%. Heading north of Valley Wells the grade is a steady 2.5% and levels off at Slate Range Pass. I don't have many shots between Valley Wells and Slate Range Pass, but here is a shot of the M&P's crack passenger train the "Mojave Canonball".

mojave_canonball_by_gunslinger87-da0h2e1.jpg

And here was have a more modern locomotive on the M&P's roster approaching the wye and yard at Slate Range.

entering_the_wye_by_gunslinger87-da41qjo.jpg

The pass here features a turning wye, siding, and a borax mine. North bound trains pause here and also a local stage can drop off passengers or pick up. What make Slate Range Pass so important is that the line passes through the mountains via hard rock tunnel and then descends a treacherous 4% grade down into the Panamint Valley. Southbound trains usually require helper locomotives hauling gold and silver ore from Ballarat, making the climb difficult. So locomotives would be quite thirsty upon reaching the pass. Then the helper would be turned on the wye and coast back down to Ballarat.

southbound_canonball_by_gunslinger87-da0h310.jpg

slate_range_pass_2_by_gunslinger87-da0h1nz.jpg

departing_slate_range_by_gunslinger87-da41qk6.jpg

That's about it for this post. Next up will be the 4% decent into the Panamint Valley and on to Ballarat, CA.

Very interesting story your telling, i want to make sure i understand something correctly, this is a fictional route?
Thankyou for sharing and pictures are awesome.

Agreed it looks lonesome as a Western outpost in the desert. Gives good appeal for what your trying accomplish here.

Keep the pics n storytelling coming.

Much Obliged! And yes, this is a fictional route. Craig Tice, whom I must credit for this is really his creation, conceived the Mojave & Panamint RR as a fictional, but plausible narrow gauge line for an HOn3 model railroad. He actually used topographical maps to plot out the line's fictional ROW and to determine what locations and places the railroad could serve, such as Valley Wells, Slate Range Pass, and Ballarat, CA. I'm trying to model the route as closely as possible to how Craig envisioned it, but I've had to make a few changes. For example, he said his line is roughly 34 miles long. Where at I couldn't get the line any shorter than 37 miles and a few yards.

Thanks and it looks great, your route will look awesome when you finish.

Fiction and artistry at it's best......I have to look up where these names of cities are too....

Thanks and it looks great, your route will look awesome when you finish.

Fiction and artistry at it's best......I have to look up where these names of cities are too....

About the only location on the route that's fictitious is Panamint Jct. All the other places do exist, they just never had a railroad pass through them. Valley Wells, Ballarat, and if you google Slate Range Crossing you'll find Slate Range Pass. There's also an iron mine with its own spur, but I'll go into more detail with than in a future post.

About the only location on the route that's fictitious is Panamint Jct. All the other places do exist, they just never had a railroad pass through them. Valley Wells, Ballarat, and if you google Slate Range Crossing you'll find Slate Range Pass. There's also an iron mine with its own spur, but I'll go into more detail with than in a future post.

Will do sir, I give Google a chance to work tonight. Thanks.

Well my last post left off with Slate Range Pass and I would like to cover the norther part of the line between the summit and the descending 4% grade into the Panamint Valley. However I've been doing some tweaking on the narrow gauge Right-of-Way, so with this post I will show off some of the other features of the route. In particular the standard gauge which the M&P interchanges with, the Los Angeles & Independence Railroad.

This first image is of a recently updated scene with Panamint Junction, where the narrow gauge Mojave & Panamint RR interchanges with the standard gauge LA&I. Unfortunately I neglected to take any shots of the SG trackage here, but will post an image or two of that later.

jct_textures_1_by_gunslinger87-da4lxhg.jpg

I've also started experimenting with ground textures. This texture is based off of one made from dirt found at Lone Pine, CA which isn't terribly far away. I think it's a pretty good match for the region and should make a good base to build off of. The next few shots are a "period" Southern Pacific freight south/westbound to Searles, CA. In reality this would be the Trona RR. However just before the turn of the century (1890s-1900) the LA&I was intending to build into the Owens Valley and or Death Valley. (which one I don't quite remember) However the project never came to fruition, but in theory the LA&I would have used the same route as the current Trona RR. The LA&I was also bought by the Southern Pacific and leased it to the Central Pacific, so seeing CP motive power would be common along this route. However eventually the LA&I was absorbed into the SP system. So SP locomotives would be the norm for the later depictions of this route.

c3099bd802c4fcf909ef628384acaf96-dabfqlb.jpg

leaving_panamint_jct__by_gunslinger87-dabfql3.jpg

1905_freight_by_gunslinger87-dabfqk2.jpg

hills_and_cuts_by_gunslinger87-dabfqjk.jpg

Another feature of the route is the famous Trona Pinnacles. If you look closely to the background in the next photo you can make out where they would be. I do intent on modeling there Pinnacles in some way. Just how I'm not quite certain yet so any suggestions are more than welcome!

pinnacles_in_the_distance_by_gunslinger87-dabfqj6.jpg

trundling_along_by_gunslinger87-dabfqia.jpg

more_desert_by_gunslinger87-dabfqi0.jpg

desert_vistas_by_gunslinger87-dabfqil.jpg

fills_and_hills_by_gunslinger87-dabfqgr.jpg

Even though the texturing is very basic I think one can see the potential this route has as a desert railroad. The entire 30 miles of track consisting of the Trona RR is included on the map as well as a portion of the SP's Jawbone Branch to Lone Pine and a portion of the SP's line to Mojave. That section ends a mile or two west of Rand, CA. I'll be posting more of both the narrow and the standard gauge so stay tuned!

Route is looking great!

Hello Kegg_Works,,,,

Keep those Photos coming,:mop::mop::mop: and the Dirt looks so Dry and Dusty, if you spilled water, it would just roll away into the Dryness. :hehe: Just as it should be.:wave:

:wave:I've been thru Lone Pine area several times, both in Winter with heavy Snow Flurries if you could believe that, and this hot Summer, it was 106-110 I think, dryer than those Cactus out there.

The Dirt Color sounds about right, will be waiting to see the Texture.

;) Have a good holiday weekend, I've got Grand Kid Duty while the Parents are away........Between this and the Grand Kids, I shouldn't be bored a bit.

Night now

Much Obliged, Blue!

I'm actually quite eager to post pics of the narrow gauge progress I made recently. Mostly little touch-ups and such. One small challenge was the pump house at Slate Range Pass. Sadly I haven't found any industry active structures for a pump house I elected to model one. Seeing as the M&P must ship water up to the summit for use at the tanks there, a stationary boiler would be necessary. I had a pump house there, which is seen in some of the earlier pics of Slate Range Pass (it's the building near the water tank) but it felt like the scene was lacking. So I "kitbashed" one together using some wood floor panels, a stationary boiler, water tank, and an open shed. Along with a few other details. I'd like to find a small pipe spline to "connect" the water storage tank with the railroad water tank. I've been unsuccessful so far. I like to pack my routes with LOTS of small details, like adding a crow to the top of the depot sign at Slate Range Pass.

The route is coming along nicely; thank you for the new screenshots!!

Curtis

Thanks, Curtis!

The past few weeks have made working on the route difficult. More specifically a lack of time to do so, but some progress has been made little by little. One thing in particular is the pump house at slate range pass. I "kitbashed" one together using several assets and it looks really good! As for making it "active" I might just add some session triggers or something to the pump house track.

Pump House Needs?

Much Obliged, Blue!

I'm actually quite eager to post pics of the narrow gauge progress I made recently. Mostly little touch-ups and such. One small challenge was the pump house at Slate Range Pass. Sadly I haven't found any industry active structures for a pump house I elected to model one. Seeing as the M&P must ship water up to the summit for use at the tanks there, a stationary boiler would be necessary. I had a pump house there, which is seen in some of the earlier pics of Slate Range Pass (it's the building near the water tank) but it felt like the scene was lacking. So I "kitbashed" one together using some wood floor panels, a stationary boiler, water tank, and an open shed. Along with a few other details. I'd like to find a small pipe spline to "connect" the water storage tank with the railroad water tank. I've been unsuccessful so far. I like to pack my routes with LOTS of small details, like adding a crow to the top of the depot sign at Slate Range Pass.

No Problem sir, I like your work, Im a old John Wayne Fan, and loved the Old Steamers in rough and ride Cowboy Movies.

I linked several Items for you to check on, and the one below, might be something you could use?

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...my-Branchline-Water-Tank&highlight=Pump+House

:eek: I saw your problems with Pump House, I unfortunately haven't made it to that level of ability,

but I was thinking, maybe check with the Follow Folks>

bendorsey, davesnow, cascaderailroad, JCitron, and I'm sure there are others, they may know a way to help you or know someone that does?

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...in-of-rocks-Bridge-pumps&highlight=Pump+House

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/forumdisplay.php?23-Scenario-Scripting-amp-Scriptlets

Hope maybe this helps a little.

Good luck with your project.

Last edited:
No Problem sir, I like your work, Im a old John Wayne Fan, and loved the Old Steamers in rough and ride Cowboy Movies.

I linked several Items for you to check on, and the one below, might be something you could use?

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...my-Branchline-Water-Tank&highlight=Pump+House

:eek: I saw your problems with Pump House, I unfortunately haven't made it to that level of ability,

but I was thinking, maybe check with the Follow Folks>

bendorsey, davesnow, cascaderailroad, JCitron, and I'm sure there are others, they may know a way to help you or know someone that does?

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...in-of-rocks-Bridge-pumps&highlight=Pump+House

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/forumdisplay.php?23-Scenario-Scripting-amp-Scriptlets

Hope maybe this helps a little.

Good luck with your project.

Yeah, as young as I am I'm surprisingly addicted to westerns! :hehe:
Though I do love the classic Duke movies, I'm a little more partial to Spaghetti Westerns. Personal preference I suppose, though this route (or rather the region it's set in) does have a tie-in with old Wayne. In "Three Godfathers" they used the Southern Pacific narrow gauge and the Owens Valley as the backdrop. And now that I think about it I'm surprised there isn't a John Wayne figure for the game on the DLS. Anyone reading this might want to take that into consideration! :p

Anyway, I'll check out those links at some point. I'm still working on uploading my most recent screenshots online and then show them off here. And that includes shots of my kit-bashed pump house at Slate Range Pass. It looks great! But my only gripe is now having it as industry active, where loaded water cars can be unloaded. Sadly I have ZERO skills with digital modeling, though that is on my wish list. Otherwise I would make my own industry active structure for that. But for now I'm happy with it. Perhaps someone could could work up a scenario trigger to make the unloading track somewhat "active". I hope to post pics of the pump house soon, so stay tuned!

Alright guys, time for another update. Now I left off with Valley Wells and Slate Range Pass with my last post, but the scenes have had some updates so I'll share them with you all. First up is an overview of Valley Wells.

valley_wells_update_by_gunslinger87-dagbcz4.jpg

valley_wells_2_by_gunslinger87-dagbcyl.jpg

I still want the town to look a little sparse as it is in the middle of an open desert. Put I added a few industries, though only one is industry active with the acceptation of the station platform and water tank. Sadly even the water column isn't active and is just a trackside accessory. However once the train leaves Valley Wells it climbs a steady 2.5% grade up to the summit at Slate Range Pass. It's a lonely stretch, even more so than the the southern leg back to Panamint Jct. as some of the ROW at least borders the foothills of the Argus Mountains or Searles Dry Lake. Here the only visual interests are a few curves here and there.

leaving_valley_wells_by_gunslinger87-dagbd3g.jpg

looking_back_by_gunslinger87-dagbd38.jpg

Looking back to Valley Wells as our train heads north. And for those interested the locomotive is an incredible model created by Trainboi1. Although these engines are payware they are well worth the expense! And I'm sure you would agree than these engines look right at home on the Mojave & Panamint!

nothing_by_gunslinger87-dagbd20.jpg

a_line_in_the_sand_by_gunslinger87-dagbd55.jpg

nearing_the_slate_range_by_gunslinger87-dagbd24.jpg

southern_slate_range_by_gunslinger87-dagbczc.jpg

entering_the_curves_by_gunslinger87-dagbd40.jpg

climbing_the_pass_by_gunslinger87-dagbd4d.jpg

With the last shot here you can Slate Range Pass in the background. The distant structure to the left is the Stealth Borax mine, the only industry at the summit. I'll pause here for now, but I'll share some more images of Slate Range Pass and the new Pump House at the summit in the next addition, so stay tuned!

Copy that on Links, Kegg_Works,

Really like the Trainboi1 Engine, and you pay for you what you get, just depends, but in this case perfect fit.

Like the Sparseness of Buildings in Town as you suggested, and that is what I think I would expect in this big part of the Desert.

Nice shot as you look back behind the Train and small city has almost disappeared, you get the feeling your very along on this part of the Route, and your hoping the Train doesn't break down before your next stop in the middle of no where.

Nice work!

We have a lot creators in this forum hopefully someone will have an idea for the Water Car unloading and the Pump House Animation.

Copy that on Links, Kegg_Works,

Really like the Trainboi1 Engine, and you pay for you what you get, just depends, but in this case perfect fit.

Like the Sparseness of Buildings in Town as you suggested, and that is what I think I would expect in this big part of the Desert.

Nice shot as you look back behind the Train and small city has almost disappeared, you get the feeling your very along on this part of the Route, and your hoping the Train doesn't break down before your next stop in the middle of no where.

Nice work!

We have a lot creators in this forum hopefully someone will have an idea for the Water Car unloading and the Pump House Animation.

Indeed, though the M&P's equipment might show its age they're well maintained despite some appearances. Though breaking down may not be the biggest concern, but the amount of time it takes to complete a journey. The railroad holds a strict speed limit of 20 to 20 mph, with the acceptation of Northbound trains on the northern side of Slate Range Pass. The limit is reduced by half, if not more, due to the treacherous 4% down grade into the Panamint Valley. not to mention all the sharp curves the railroad contends with also.

Back