Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guide To Realistic Lighting & Post Processing

United States of America, Illinois, Palatine
    Blog Entries

Thanks for posting this, this will surely help many future Trainzers get similar results.

Blog Entries

Thanks heaps for posting how to get to that! Dabbling in photography this makes me a happy man Lowering the "Base" value in SSAO produces some good results IMO.

Some screenshots, of course.

TS12

Not messing:

Messing:

United States of America, Maryland, Baltimore

Since this is about environment. I'll ask a question. How do you darken the screen for night? The other simulator has a very dark night while in TANE it always seems like a full moon.

Blog Entries

Click the little green light at midnight (you can add more green light thingos at different times using the + button)

Click the top right colour (ambient lighting)
    adjust the swatches to how you like them
    Click in the main sky box (this is split into thirds)
    do the same thing
    Hopefully that came through ok lol

United States of America, Maryland, Baltimore

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. I will download your module from JR.

Rob

Blog Entries

Hmm I seem to have issues applying the settings, is there a way to apply these across all layouts? It also forgets my settings when I relaunch. Can anyone assist?

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by scratchy View Post
    Hmm I seem to have issues applying the settings, is there a way to apply these across all layouts? It also forgets my settings when I relaunch. Can anyone assist?
    Are you doing this from the Launcher under Developer menu item?

You may have to go to settings and the Developer tab and check the box to enable Debug items.

You then apply the settings here --- per use and then ensure you've adjusted the level in-game.

You are correct that these settings aren't saved. This is something that will be implemented soon(tm).
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 109641

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JCitron View Post
    You are correct that these settings aren't saved. This is something that will be implemented soon(tm).
    I think this what I was after, dammit, ok so I have to redo it everytime. Thanks for confirming

I think this what I was after, dammit, ok so I have to redo it everytime. Thanks for confirming
    Yup. It's a huge PITA.

Blog Entries

Bringing this thread back to life instead of making a new one. Can anyone tell me what the highlighted three options do and their impact on performance? Also while im here when I run fraps it tells me TANE runs at 30fps, is there a way to bump this up?

Bringing this thread back to life instead of making a new one. Can anyone tell me what the highlighted three options do and their impact on performance? Also while im here when I run fraps it tells me TANE runs at 30fps, is there a way to bump this up?
    Hi Scratchy.

The top two help with the performance.

Use multiple render threads sends more data to your video card and makes use of the multi-threading capabilities - the multiple cores in your video card.

Texture Streaming is an option that sends data to your video card in chunks, and may or may not be necessary for you. This helps with slower cards from what I remember.

Use PhysX simulation is for the particle collisions to work. This is so that smoke doesn't go through bridges and rain and snow doesn't go through tunnel roofs. Yes! Finally after 15 years we finally have dry tunnels.

Why you have 30 fps... V-sync is normally at the full rate of your monitor refresh, which is 60 fps. The full rate, or none for that matter, can cause a performance hit for many systems, so there is an option in T:ANE and other programs to run at half that or 30 fps, which is the default in T:ANE. So if you want your 60 fps, use the full rate instead.

How to get there:

When you start T:ANE, go to the Trainz settings in the launcher. On the first panel, you will see the various screen resolutions. To change these, you may or may not need to check the box for full screen (you do if you run windowed), after that find the same resolution you are using but with the full-sync instead of half-sync.

Hope this helps!

John
    John

i am SO glad I came across this as it has solved one of my biggest issues with the built in lighting blowing out over light textures at 12 pm ( which occur about 90% of the time in the desert) this makes an incredible difference to noon day lighting.
    Now, is there any way one can add moonlight ? , as i sorely miss being able to drive a train in the light of the moon with the reflections on the water of a lake...
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

It's a pity that some of the screenshots have disappeared. Has any suggestion ever been made about adding numbers to the colours in environment settings in the same way that Paintshop Pro displays the settings for the colour selected. this would make it easier to copy other people's settings.

Ken

Good point Ken. The UI for environmental settings hasn't changed in Trainz since the beginning. Bearing in mind how important ambient lighting, shadows and post-processing effects are to the 'look' of TANE - and the ability to fully exploit the new game engine - it's high time this was redesigned, eg. to use RGB numbers rather than highly inaccurate dials. Oh, and the ability to save post-processing savings.

Wonder if TS2018 will still be using the same UI for environmental settings as Trainz 2001?

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paulsw2 View Post
    Good point Ken. The UI for environmental settings hasn't changed in Trainz since the beginning. Bearing in mind how important ambient lighting, shadows and post-processing effects are to the 'look' of TANE - and the ability to fully exploit the new game engine - it's high time this was redesigned, eg. to use RGB numbers rather than highly inaccurate dials. Oh, and the ability to save post-processing savings.

Wonder if TS2018 will still be using the same UI for environmental settings as Trainz 2001?

Paul
    We requested this in the Trainz Dev for this and other things which require settings and mouse movement like adjusting heights of scenery items. We were told it's possible to do, but we haven't seen anything like it.

My recommendation is to bring this topic up in the Suggestion Boxcar forum.
    John