Cost of PC capable of running Tane in Aussie dollars.

matruck

Dirty Deeds
Hi All,
Could i ask a favour please ?, What would it cost in Aussie dollar's to have a PC built capable of running Tane ?. Not being putor literate i feel kind of silly asking but i'd like to know for myself what i'd be up for now i the PC being built would not have to power the world or take it over just the average run of the mill nice home set up capable of running Trainz latest version and beyond maybe for a year or so.
Cheers Mick.:)

For a really good guide to Australian computer prices (and to a business that consistently wins design and performance awards from computer magazines/ reviewers) look no further than TI Computers in Crows Nest, Sydney.

http://www.ticomputers.com.au/

Over many years, these guys have provided me and my clients with scores of computers - and the systems they built to order have always been of outstanding quality for the money outlaid.
As you will see, you can easily pick up an i5 quad system with at least 8Gb RAM from John and his team for under AU $800, but spending a little more will get you a really great system that will storm T:ANE.

I concur with johnwhelan above:
"an i5 and a GTX 1060 would be a great place to start"
but if low budget is the main concern, then consider an i5 with a new RX 470 or RX 480 for considerably less outlay.

Last edited:
For a really good guide to Australian computer prices (and to a business that consistently wins design and performance awards from computer magazines/ reviewers) look no further than TI Computers in Crows Nest, Sydney.

http://www.ticomputers.com.au/

Over many years, these guys have provided me and my clients with scores of computers - and the systems they built to order have always been of outstanding quality for the money outlaid.
As you will see, you can easily pick up an i5 quad system with at least 8Gb RAM from John and his team for under AU $800, but spending a little more will get you a really great system that will storm T:ANE.

I concur with johnwhelan above: but if low budget is the main concern, then consider an i5 with a new RX 470 or RX 480 for considerably less outlay.

On Newegg.com a 480 and a 1060 are not that different in price, TANE prefers nVidia cards over AMD and the TDP is higher for the AMD cards. Translation you need a bigger power supply.

Cheerio John

Thanks a lot for the help folk's appreciate it, I'll go thru those suggestions and see what i can come up with.
Cheers Mick.:)

Basically an i5 and a GTX 1060 would be a good place to start but you can go higher.

Cheerio John

An i5 4960k plus a GTX 960 4Gb vram? I understand the gtx 960 has a lot of overclocking potential. I'm thinking of buying this kit.

Rob.

Edit: The i5 4960k has plenty of O/C headroom.

Last edited:
ebuyer.com GTX 1060 3 gigs of memory lowest price £188.99 inc. vat amazon.co.uk £188.99

ebuyer.com GTX 960 2 gigs of memory lowest price £144.99 inc. vat amazon.co.uk £134.99

Yes there is a difference but not that significant.

Cheerio John

Is 3Gb of vram enough these days, not just for Trainz but for many other games and apps also?

On the prices you've quoted one can add another £20 - £25 for a GTX960 with 4Gb vram and another £55 - £60 for a GTX 1060 with 6Gb vram... generally!

The GTX 960 with 4Gb vram plus it's overclocking capabilities is good enough and enough for me to pay (£170 - £180, ebuyer) when one takes into account delivery costs etc.

Rob.

Edit: Apologies to OP for quoting GBP and not AUD.

Last edited:
Is 3Gb of vram enough these days, not just for Trainz but for many other games and apps also?

On the prices you've quoted one can add another £20 - £25 for a GTX960 with 4Gb vram and another £55 - £60 for a GTX 1060 with 6Gb vram... generally!

The GTX 960 with 4Gb vram plus it's overclocking capabilities is good enough and enough for me to pay (£170 - £180, ebuyer) when one takes into account delivery costs etc.

Rob.

Edit: Apologies to OP for quoting GBP and not AUD.
Hi Rob,
If you were able to afford a 1060, and a had a rig capable of running it, then the GTX1060 is going to be better in the end than my overclocked GTX960.

The non-overclocked speed on the 1060 is still faster than the GTX960 overclocked setup I am running. It makes a very big difference in terms of graphical performance along with the VRAM to go with it. You can still overclock the 1060 like you can the 960 anyways.
But, you need to consider this before deciding:
What am I doing with it? Can it be done cheaper with nearly as good as performance? And what are my budget/rig constraints? For me, putting a 1060 in my rig means a new PSU, as mine isn't enough to run it safely. Cost is also a bit much, thus why I am running a 960 vs a 970 or 980. For me, the 960 runs most of my games as smooth as silk, thus I don't see a significant reason to upgrade, but of course, I'm a TANE holdout as well, so I'm not big on updating my PC for that specifically. I upgrade my PC further as the games I am running become more taxing on the system.

Hi Rob,
If you were able to afford a 1060, and a had a rig capable of running it, then the GTX1060 is going to be better in the end than my overclocked GTX960.

The non-overclocked speed on the 1060 is still faster than the GTX960 overclocked setup I am running. It makes a very big difference in terms of graphical performance along with the VRAM to go with it. You can still overclock the 1060 like you can the 960 anyways.
What am I doing with it? Can it be done cheaper with nearly as good as performance? And what are my budget/rig constraints? For me, putting a 1060 in my rig means a new PSU, as mine isn't enough to run it safely. Cost is also a bit much, thus why I am running a 960 vs a 970 or 980. For me, the 960 runs most of my games as smooth as silk, thus I don't see a significant reason to upgrade, but of course, I'm a TANE holdout as well, so I'm not big on updating my PC for that specifically. I upgrade my PC further as the games I am running become more taxing on the system.

The power draw on the 1060 is normally less than a 960.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-pascal,4679-6.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/msi-geforce-gtx-960-gaming-2g,4194.html#p9

Cheerio John

Hi Rob,

I have been 'gifted' a brand new ASUS Z97-P mobo and a OCZ 600W 80+ PS so I'm looking for components to fill it up! It will be a quantum leap with a i5 4960k and GTX 960 4Gb over what I have at the moment i.e. a i5 760 with a HD6870. Ihave a few SSD's spare and 16 Gb ddr3 1866 memory so with the CPU and GPU mentioned I'm good to go, with some trepidation, into the world of TANE.

I believe there is another hotfix on the way for TANE.

Rob.

robd - that new combo will make a world of difference in terms of your T:ANE experience! I'm rather fond of my current Z97-A mobo and think you'll enjoy the capabilities of yours.

Hey Mick,
I thought you built a computer not long ago, maybe you could just look into a new Graphics card or maybe a CPU? Can you post your specs?

I made my own a few months back getting parts from http://www.austin.net.au/

i5 4590 - $289

Samsung 500gb SSD - $199

1TB HDD - $79

MSI micro motherboard - $85

Corsair 550 W PSU - $66

Gigabite Nvidia 750ti GPU - $199 (Will probs upgrade shortly)

CD drive - $15

Case - $59

Total about $991, I'm sure many will tell me where I've gone wrong, but the setup works for me and runs TANE fine. Your prices might be a bit cheaper than WA's. :)

Last edited:
robd - that new combo will make a world of difference in terms of your T:ANE experience! I'm rather fond of my current Z97-A mobo and think you'll enjoy the capabilities of yours.

Hi Rob,

After much thought I've plumped for the Asus GTX 1060 6Gb.

It's approx £90 more than the GTX 960 4Gb but it's probably a little bit more future proof plus it's very much faster than GTX960.

Again, apologies to the OP, I didn't pay a single AUD for my new gear, just lots of GBP!

Rob.

Last edited:
robd - the Asus GTX 1060 makes much more sense, despite the extra expense. Over its lifetime, you'll likely save the difference in power costs alone.
In my case, replacing my aging Asus R9-280X with a new GTX1070 will result in half the power draw under load for more than double the frame-rate performance.

Back