Track supports

Thanks again these look a lot better.
AVzG9m.jpg

Last edited:
Now what is a good looking power line I can use along side the roads. Thanks.

Utility Poles:

<kuid2:42884:37030:1> Utility Poles ---- eurostar
<kuid:106916:10443> Utility Poles USA 01 ----- gfisher
<kuid:117608:50527> Utility pole 01 ---- kenichiro
<kuid:117608:60924> Utility pole 02
<kuid:117608:60925> Utility pole 03
<kuid2:481384:1414144:2> Vertical Power Line 3+1 lower Poly (Residential) ---- rrsignal
<kuid:481384:1414146> Vertical Power Line 2+1+1 lower Poly (Residential)

G'day Jayco-man,

As much as things are looking much better now, I really must "take you to task"...

...there is NO WAY IN THIS WORLD, that the length of track on the approaches to your bridge (both sides) could be supported by the piers you have chosen to use here. In the real world, without some kind of proper support (such as a plate girder type bridge) spanning the gap between the piers, the track would simply sag between them, towards the ground, causing an instant derailment the second any train tried to traverse the section of track spanning the valley. To make this work properly (and look even better), you need to use something more closely akin to the bridge created by bendorsey <KUID2:210518:8359:1> (the "Maribyrnong_River_Bridge"), for us Victorian modellers, which has approach spans on each side, as you require in your situation. Unfortunately, this bridge was built for a specific location and isn't suitable for your situation (it will, however, give you an idea of what you need). In fact, I'm surprised Ben hasn't chipped in here to suggest this, himself)...

Jerker {:)} (the other "Trestle man")

G'day Jayco-man,

As much as things are looking much better now, I really must "take you to task"...

...there is NO WAY IN THIS WORLD, that the length of track on the approaches to your bridge (both sides) could be supported by the piers you have chosen to use here. In the real world, without some kind of proper support (such as a plate girder type bridge) spanning the gap between the piers, the track would simply sag between them, towards the ground, causing an instant derailment the second any train tried to traverse the section of track spanning the valley. To make this work properly (and look even better), you need to use something more closely akin to the bridge created by bendorsey <KUID2:210518:8359:1> (the "Maribyrnong_River_Bridge"), for us Victorian modellers, which has approach spans on each side, as you require in your situation. Unfortunately, this bridge was built for a specific location and isn't suitable for your situation (it will, however, give you an idea of what you need). In fact, I'm surprised Ben hasn't chipped in here to suggest this, himself)...

Jerker {:)} (the other "Trestle man")

You're right! :)

Here's a Bing Bird's Eye view:

https://binged.it/2b5MrcC

The bridge looks to have plate girder spans approaching the bridge. YRR-series are good for those as well as those included with the RRTK-series by austin316hockey.

G'day JCitron & Jayco-man,

@ JCitron,

...exactly, John, although I didn't get all that much extra information from the image in your link. I have no idea of the assets that might be available to achieve the task facing Jayco-man, so I must thank you for stepping in to assist in that regard...

@ Jayco-man,

..one thing that I didn't stress (and which has been mentioned in passing, already), is that, as per this image of the asset I referred to above shows,

Maribrynong_Bridge_in_Trainz.jpg

...you should (NAY MUST) provide appropriate ABUTMENTS under the ends of the girder spans where they "attach" to the earth on either side of the valley (as bendorsey has done on the above asset). Which reminds me, I really do need to get in touch with Ben to get him to "update" the mapping of the concrete on this asset - to remove the horrible tiling that is all too clearly visible, here...

Jerker {:)}

G'day Jayco-man,

There are always 'issues' when copyright is involved but as long as you are not trying to claim that copyright for yourself, such matters are generally 'overlooked'. If I have any doubts that copyright might become an issue when 'republishing' images created by someone else, I will always provide that which we call "a byline" in the trade - I will give an appropriate credit under the image to the original "author" (for example; ..."...image courtesy of..."...) and provide a 'source'...

Jerker [:)}

Found the bridge. Thanks to bridgehunter.com for posting the picture. Now that I've found the bridge none of it looks right, and as far as I can tell we don't have the right stuff to make it look right. The color is wrong and I cant seem to find through plate girder to make them look separate. There is actually 46 pictures of the bridge. bridgehunter.com/wv/mingo
poZY524Mj

Last edited:
Those photos look good enough for some bridge modeller to extract realistic textures for the concrete piers and possibly the steel girder sections. A pity about the dead tree blocking the middle pier, but clear views might be obtained from some of the other 45 pictures of the bridge.

I really do need to get in touch with Ben to get him to "update" the mapping of the concrete on this asset - to remove the horrible tiling that is all too clearly visible, here...
Oh boy, here we go :hehe:

G'day Jayco-man & Dinorius_Redundicus,

@ Jayco-man,

You wrote..

..."...none of it looks right..."..

...to which I can only respond without surprise, as, after some further investigation, I discover that we are talking about two completely different bridges, here - some 16 miles apart, as it turns out. They are very similar, being built by the same railroad and both traverse the same river, I admit but they should not be confused. The bridge you state you are trying to reconstruct is shown in bridgehunter.com as the Nolan Railroad Bridge but unfortunately, there are no images associated with the entry for it. Having said that, the images of the bridge in Freeburn could easily be used as a 'guide' for someone to build the 'correct' bridge for you and as Dinorius_Redundicus says, the images of that bridge are perfectly adequate to act as photo-realistic textures for the creator who may take on the challenge...

@ Dinorius_Redundicus,

You wrote...

.."...Oh boy, here we go:hehe: ..."...

...I know, I know :hehe:, Deane (I seek that which is impossible, do I not??)...

Jerker {:)}

This might help using stuff that's already available. I built this using the following components:

Approach Spans:

JJS Deck Girder <kuid2:46819:381292>

Middle Span:

RRTK 1T Through-truss Warren A, 150ft <kuid:316:400070>

Bridge ends:

Bridge End Concrete <kud2:46162:24001:11>

I know the piers are incorrect. I don't have concrete bridge piers, or can't find them. But anyway, use whatever you want for the piers and abutments.

What is the kuid and where did you get those nice concrete bridge supports/piers?

Old stone bridge pillar

There's a great pillar on the DLS which you might find a good choice. It's very weathered and extremely well textured. It's called Filar Mostowy Zmurszaly (bet you'd never normally find that one! :D).

It's made by kilanziom who is renowned for his rolling stock and scenery asset creations amongst the mainland European Trainzers. It's worth doing a DLS username search of all of his stuff. I've used loads of his assets which are mainly Polish, but a lot of them are very suitable for many other countries/regions.

The pillar in question is <KUID:173943:200374>

Make sure the TRS2004 box is checked.

kuid_173943_200374.jpg

Thanks!

I'll look for that one as that's really nice and very useful. I have lots of his content as well such as his churches and other buildings. I agree he's made some great stuff. :)

Thanks!

I'll look for that one as that's really nice and very useful. I have lots of his content as well such as his churches and other buildings. I agree he's made some great stuff. :)
You're welcome. The real thanks needs to go to kilanziom and the other great creators.

I particularly like that pillar because of the way the texturing transforms from old stone higher up, to a really grimy lower section. It works well over damp riverbeds and should make for a good match with the rusty metalwork structures on Jaco-man's bridge span.

The bridge pier is KUID 73500:100157 made by jrfolco and is on the DLS. I'm wondering if the bridge was redone at some point, because it doesn't look the same as the one in GE. The through plate girder on the long end looked curved in the picture, but not in GE. I'm getting a headache. LOL. Thanks for the help guys.

Ok guys here is what I have now. I would really love to use the same pier under the bridge but the bridge pier is not tale enough. It is definitely a nice bridge pier
plA332P8j

More Bird's Eye views

Looking at the Bing Bird's Eye view following the link in JCitron's post #25 https://binged.it/2b5MrcC I found some useful tips in using this alternative image source. It's quite different to Google earth. Thanks for the link. This will be very useful.

After looking at the image offered in the link, which appears to give the latest version, I saw the box marked "Previous Version". Clicking on this led me to some other images of the same area which gives a clearer view of the bridge. I also found that you can spin the image to view the scene from the four NSEW cardinal points, not all of which seem to have been taken on the same day. Just click on the curved arrows on either side of the compass icon at the top right of the image. It does offer further clues to the layout of the bridge structure.

I've posted two screen grabs of the bridge viewed from either side. You can see that the piers supporting the track at the girder bridge ends are not set at right angles to the track, (unlike the apparently smaller approach piers which are built at 90deg to the track). They look to be set following the line of the river bank, closer to 45deg to the track. They also look slightly different (?larger), so you could use a different, and higher, support pier for these two.

The other observation is that the girder bridge shown in the Trainz Surveyor shot has five vertical girders on each side, whereas the image of the real thing shows that there are six.

Bridge%20views_zpsmfeht17v.png~original

Keep up the good work!

:)

Last edited:
Sometimes a bridge pier sits too high, protruding into the bridge, the solution is to lay short sections of invisatrack, and place piers on it, and slde it underneath, holding down on the Shift KB keys, this would also allow you to angle the pier

There is a 25ft, 35ft, 45ft, 55ft, 65ft, pier that could be placed, and rotated, placing one pier on top of another: bridge pier 25ft - bigbern, which is a building/static asset. You place 2 of them, custom rotate them the same degree of rotation, and side one under the other, with meticulous precision

Perhaps your track is placed to high above the river channel ?

Last edited:
Back