"Semi" bare-bones desktop without graphics card for T:ANE

hallgee

I am looking for a bare-bones system that has everything but the graphics card installed. The reason for this is that there are a lot of low-end systems that have the CPU for T:ANE, but with an inadequate graphics card for T:ANE, and you have to pay an awful lot more to get a system with an adequate graphics card installed.

Most bare-bones systems start from square one. Does anybody sell fairly low-end "semi" bare-bones systems like the above (with all the CPU, etc. parameters already worked out), that are also set up to accommodate high-end graphics cards?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Check out www.newegg.com

They have barebones case, power supply, motherboard, CPU kits which come all ready to go. You can then supply the video card you are interested in.

You could even look at one of their 'gaming' PCs and replace the video card, add memory, etc.

There are many other manufacturers/builders, but this one came to mind immediately.

Thanks for your quick response! I have checked them out, and am checking again after I write this. Will let you know if I can find the "semi" bare-bones...

I have built dozens of computers over the years the majority of which have been for others, but other than for myself few have been what I would describe as 'gaming' machines. The bare-bone systems I have used while respectable and have saved a little money and perhaps 30 minutes effort unfortunately in many respects have been a compromise in regards of components used or bits I didn't need or should have had and so forth.

While I appreciate the small financial saving may be critical, for a computer to run Trainz, is a bare-bone build really your best option or could a little more homework source a more balanced and complimentry machine worthy of Trainz to your liking for the same price. Peter

Thanks! Ended up with a Lenovo x315, after detailed comparison of specs. Now TANE will not recognize the card (Radeon R9 360) even though the Settings panel says "Primary" concerning that GPU. NOTE: if this is not an easy TANE-based answer I will do more research, just thought it might be an easy fix.

Thanks! Ended up with a Lenovo x315, after detailed comparison of specs. Now TANE will not recognize the card (Radeon R9 360) even though the Settings panel says "Primary" concerning that GPU. NOTE: if this is not an easy TANE-based answer I will do more research, just thought it might be an easy fix.

Lenovo x315 specs:

Processor AMD FX-770K Processor (3.50GHz 4MB)
Operating system Windows 10 Home 64
Graphics AMD Radeon R9 M360 2GB
Memory 8.0GB DDR3 1600 MHz
Hard Drive 1TB 7200 RPM+128GB SSD
Optical Drive DVD Recordable
Network Card Lenovo AC Wireless

I guess that will work. Being all AMD though, not sure.

Why on earth did you go AMD on the graphics card? nVidia works better for TANE much as I hate to say it.

Cheerio John

What's done is done so make the most of it and don't give up. Many run AMD cards very successfully and I'm sure you can to. Start by making sure Windows and your graphic drivers are bang up to date. Go into Device Manager and likewise make sure there are none of those yellow hyphens showing, if there are resolve them. Perhaps switch off the anti-virus just for the first time you run Trainz. Peter

Back