TANE - Ghost trains – trains still on map, but invisible

Wolfman_1

I am using The Timber Ridge Line layout (original design by klinger) and over the years converted it to my needs.
Except for a handful of trains (which are to be used in any session) all trains are placed in the session.
After importing the layout into TANE (now build 82718) and further editing suddenly trains begin to disappear – two different scenarios:

First scenario:
After a train wreck (which occurred out of my view) the not derailed cars of the train remained on the track, but are not visible.
Only in surveyor, when you zoom out to the blue map, they are indicated as consists (sorry, I made screenshots to illustrate the problem, but posting permissions don't allow me to post attachments).
They cannot be picked with the Get Train menu and so cannot be identified or deleted.
Unfortunately, they are still on the track and thus stop all traffic on the line.

Second scenario:
While working on junction settings in the session next (but in “2-blocks”-distance) to train 471, the entire train suddenly disappeared from the screen.
This train is not visible at all neither in route layer nor in session, close-up or zoom-out.
But, it is still on the track blocking it effectively.
I have deleted – as I knew, which train it was – all items for this train out of the config-file. But the train which was placed there in session is still there in route and shows up only in the find object menu and will be pinned down with it (yet remain invisible).

Are there any ideas how to get rid of these ghost trains? I hope I don't have missed out another thread with a good explanation for this.

My workaround is like this:
I disconnected the track as close as possible to the ghost trains and laid identical new tracks over them.

Edit:
For the first scenario I found a solution:
Using the "Tools" (F5)-Menu > copy and paste > select area (which is similar and has no cars) with "paste track" activated >paste mode.
The consists disappeared in the map and don't show in the find object menu anymore.

This did not work with the second scenario.
But now the cars of the disappeared train 471 show as red rectangles when I zoom out - but only in the little time between the last glimpse of the landscape and appearance of the blue map. Still no way to select them.

Last edited:
Nothing on the ghost trains? Same here: Can se train move in map view - but invisible in other views....Have asked Trainz support for help....

I would try creating a new route layer then merging the old layer onto the new one. Sometimes this can make things reappear.

If you can't remove the consists, even after merging layers, run the Delete Missing Assets utility in the route and then the session.

This will remove those consists and clean up a bunch of other stuff as well.

I've not seen this happen in Driver and hope I never do!

But it happens whenever one loads a session created in 12 into the same route in T:ANE. Some of the derailed cars can be manipulated various ways, many cannot. The ones still on the track can sometimes be re-railed or deleted but the ones that wind up in the boonies cannot.

A warning--I have had Delete Missing Assets play hob with one or more of my portals somehow. I think. Anyway, one portal stopped working right after I used Delete a couple of times, and I wound up deleting the route and reinstalling it from the DLC. That resolved that issue.

John, are you saying Delete Missing Assets can be applied separately to route and session? I thought it was all or none but I await instruction.

:B~)

I've not seen this happen in Driver and hope I never do!

But it happens whenever one loads a session created in 12 into the same route in T:ANE. Some of the derailed cars can be manipulated various ways, many cannot. The ones still on the track can sometimes be re-railed or deleted but the ones that wind up in the boonies cannot.

A warning--I have had Delete Missing Assets play hob with one or more of my portals somehow. I think. Anyway, one portal stopped working right after I used Delete a couple of times, and I wound up deleting the route and reinstalling it from the DLC. That resolved that issue.

John, are you saying Delete Missing Assets can be applied separately to route and session? I thought it was all or none but I await instruction.

:B~)

Yes, you can apply it separately. I've done that to remove ghosts consists and it works perfect for that. Doing it to a route also removes the 'weird' things such as track splines separating from track objects among other things.

I use the Delete missing assets in the session and usually works ok.
Another way to remove ghosts that are on tracks, is to place an asset either side of the offender.
Then delete as a consist.
Cheers,
Mike

If you can't remove the consists, even after merging layers, run the Delete Missing Assets utility in the route and then the session.

This will remove those consists and clean up a bunch of other stuff as well.

THANKS JCitron! Removing the ghost train that came after my editing in the "session" layer (and only the session layer) of a downloaded session happened smoothly after running Delete Missing Assets command on the session. Regards. - - john - -

Ghost Trains- use layer controls

I feel for you. i have had many occasions over the years in TANE with ghost consists, usually caused by me changing a route when there are cars in the session on that track or a db crash.
Delete missing assets usually works but may have non planned other changes you dont know about.
Occasionally there is a stubborn consists. try to add cars either side if there is track present , couple new cars and delete consist works sometimes.

However for the really tough ones, I have used the following successfully

In session, under Layers tab, , add a new Session test layer. call it test. Save, then delete Test layer. This should clear ghosts in Session

In Route, add a new Route test layer. call it test. Save, then delete Test layer. This should clear ghosts in Route.

Back