Tutorial for Using Google Earth & TransDEM for route creation

But not using TransDEM.

On the other hand, that one helps to understand how complicated things become if we neglect an essential piece of information in any map or ortho-image: the geo-reference.

I received an email from a user the other day, complaining about the poor perfomance of TransDEM when it exceeded physical memory(!), due to the vast amount of geo data he'd loaded for a route more than a 100km long. This would definitely not happen with the base map approach shown in the video, because of the enormous time it takes to complete all those manual steps over and over again.

And still, I again suggest for TransDEM to use the Map Tile client for acquiring the ortho-images and not bother with the semi-automatic or semi-manual procedure with Google Earth images and placemarks.

With individual Google Earth images to still have to repeat for each image:
  1. In Google Earth, position the image, align "Up" and "North",
  2. Set a placemark and name it,
  3. Save the placemark,
  4. Save the image, assigning same name as for placemark,
  5. In TransDEM, open the image,
  6. Convert to UTM,
  7. Save

With the TransDEM Map Tile client, on the other hand:
  1. Acquire a single medium scale map clipping that shows your route,
  2. Trace the route path with the built-in vector line editor,
  3. Let the Map Tile client acquire all the large scale images along the path.
I uderstand 1, 2, but the rest confused me on what to save it as a jpg or Kml file plus how far are you suppose to be from the ground like 400m was it. I've been trying to figure it out on how this guy did it. plus his image look one continuous image though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L63lEz-Iu8

I uderstand 1, 2, but the rest confused me on what to save it as a jpg or Kml file plus how far are you suppose to be from the ground like 400m was it. I've been trying to figure it out on how this guy did it. plus his image look one continuous image though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L63lEz-Iu8

With Google Earth Pro 7.3.2.5776:

It's tedious work, as these steps have to be repeated one by one for each image. Much faster with the Map Tile client. BTW, that video shows UTM tiles, not ground textures, as the author explains in the commentary.

TransDEM order

I have purchased Tranz19 just this week. I would like to order the TransDEM program but there is a stumbling block regarding a question to verify that I am not a bot. It isn't in english so I don't understand the question. Everything in the description is in english but some of the question is in German. I understand that all I need to do is e-mail the developer but it isn't posted. Can someone help me with an e-mail link so that I can get my order in?

My suggestion would be to run '19 for a while to verify you want to get into TransDEM. However, if you care to proceed: http://www.rolandziegler.de/StreckeUndLandschaft/startseiteTransDEMEngl.htm

The email address is at the bottom but you need to turn it into a valid email address - he has it setup on the page for anti-spam.
It would be "contact" then the normal "at sign" and then his website name "rolandziegler.de"

Be aware... theres quite a learning curve. I spent 3 solid days on a tutorial and just now got my first positive result, a 40 mile route with track and roads.

I've returned to route building with an eye for a specific area and find the URL for SRTM data (http://dds.cr.usgs.gov/srtm/) given in my tutorial isn't available any more. Has anyone found a suitable replacement URL?

STRM download addresses (as of 04/2021):
(I believe you will have to register a - free - account.)

However, for any US route I would always go for the the much better terrestrial DEMs offered by the USGS National Map Viewer, 1/3 arc sec, or for some places (subject to availability) 1/9 arc sec or even 1 m LIDAR:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...nsDEM-2-6-now-available&p=1807339#post1807339

Ah. Thanks for those references. I figured they had to be out there somewhere. I'll take a look and alter my tutorial accordingly.

Bill

GE's Polyline into TransDEM

Hi,
I was just trying to create route with GE and TD.
And this is what happen to my project :

1. I should to CONTINUOUSLY capture image and kmz file from GE without change the tilt. If I forgot in blank area (dark color), it was difficult (at least for me) to fill blank area without broken image at the final maps. This is annoying me.
So, If it happen, it is more easy for me : delete all old capture and kmz files, then re-capture and save kmz again...
This is the only way to fix blank area (at least for me at this moment)....

2. It is possible we convert polyline from GE to TD route (srt file) ?
So we do not need again to create simple route at TD.

3. For ground texture, I prefer use image like basemapz did. It is more clear than shadowed from TD.
But basemapz only use 2D texture ground, not 3D as TD use.

Could someone guide me ?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
First, we need to know which version of Trainz you are using. Your profile shows nothing. You need to register your version.

Bill

First, we need to know which version of Trainz you are using. Your profile shows nothing. You need to register your version.

Bill

Actually I only had 2 versions of trainz :-( ...
- Boxed TANE SP4 Col edition, but in another my mail registration (old mail).
- TRS 2019 steam version... I don't know where's the serial key to be input.

Suggest you contact the Helpdesk (see link at the top of this page) and get your registration straightened out so that your Trainz versions show in your profile. Then you'll get more help from the many helpful people here.

How To Grow Eyelashes?

Careprost eye drops are a popular eye medication that is meant for treating Glaucoma. Careprost Eyelash Serum contain an active ingredient known as Bimatoprost Ophthalmic Solution 0.03, which increases the outflow of the fluid (aqueous humor), causing a decrease in the intraocular pressure (IOP).

Careprost is a bimatoprost ophthalmic solution that helps you grow longer, thicker, and darker eyelashes in 12-14 weeks.

Careprost is a 0.03 % bimatoprost ophthalmic solution, often known as ophthalmic Careprost Eye Drops. This enables a patient to overcome issues such as insufficient or ineffective eyelashes. Careprost Bimatoprost improves the beauty of the eyelashes by lengthening, thickening, and darkening them. Careprost Eyelash serum contains the foam of genuine authentic eye drops. Prostaglandin is a natural chemical that is similar to this. Buy Careprost online at the lowest price from Genericaura.

Careprost is a 0.03 % bimatoprost ophthalmic solution, often known as ophthalmic Careprost review. This enables a patient to overcome issues such as insufficient or ineffective eyelashes. Careprost Amazon Bimatoprost improves the beauty of the eyelashes by lengthening, thickening, and darkening them. This serum contains the foam of genuine Careprost eye drops. Prostaglandin is a natural chemical that is similar to this.

Buy Careprost online PayPal USA from Genericaura just in $12 with Free Shipping Service. Authentic Careprost Eye Drops used for Eyelash Growth. Get Longer, Thicker, and Darker Eyelashes using Careprost Eyelash serum.

Buy Careprost for Longer, Thicker and darker eyelashes. Buy Careprost USA free shipping Bimatoprost Lash boost serum also used to treat glaucoma.

Genericaura is a 100% safe and secure online pharmacy store. you get generic medicine at our safe and reliable pharmacy. Buy Careprost Online From Genericaura.

Buy Careprost UK from Genericaura for just in $12 with Free Shipping Service. Authentic Careprost Eye Drops used for Eyelash Growth. Get Longer, Thicker, and Darker Eyelashes using Careprost Eyelash serum.

Buy Careprost Eye Drops contain the bimatoprost ophthalmic solution 0.03 for eyelash growth. Using Careprost, you can make your eyelashes longer, thicker, and darker. Buy Careprost Online at a low price from Genericaura.
Careprost
Careprost
Careprost
Careprost
Careprost
Careprost
Careprost
Careprost
Careprost
Careprost
Careprost
Careprost
Careprost
Careprost
Careprost

Bill,

I finally worked my way through your tutorial successfully. (Basically learning it to help someone else.) Since Google Earth Pro was a new program to me, it took a few tries to learn what I was doing wrong and how to do it properly.

A couple of times I accidentally changed the height, but it seemed to reset the height if I went back to a previously saved place mark. In fact, going back to an earlier place mark helped me several times when I messed up moving to the next area of the map.

It took me a while to learn that the button for saving images doesn't appear until _after_ trying to save an image via the _File > Save > Save image_ menu selection. The menu selection does not save the image, but it does expose the _save image_ button, which does work. I think you wrote an addendum that addresses that issue.

Anyway, thanks so much for the tutorial! I would have never figured out how to do it on my own.

Thanks for the input, Dave. The tutorial may be a bit out of date since Google Earth changed a few of the UI menus, but it should work. It's a complicated thing to do, and I've found there are alternatives to this process, but I'm happy you made it through.

Bill

Hi all!

Does anyone know of someone who is willing to take a commission to generate a DEM? I purchased TransDEM but unfortunately I cannot get it to work quite the way I wanted. Thank you!

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the reply! I have watched that and attempted to follow a few of the tutorials I've found online, however this is the issue I'm running into;

When I create UTM tiles, they are often grainy or otherwise unable to actually make out any details. So when I zoom in to get a better image, the overall UTM tile shrinks and I lose the larger area I'm looking to get a UTM of. If that makes sense? So farther zoomed out I am the larger the UTM tile but the ****tier the quality. The more zoomed in, the better quality (Predictably) but the UTM tiles are so small I miss the areas I'm looking for. Addt. the DEM data doesn't even remotely line up to the UTM mapping.

Thoughts?

Back