Slight annoyance with the CSX ES44AH

jonwray

Hey everyone. Recently, I installed the CSX ES44AH YN3TL, and there's a slight annoyance to do with the numbers on the cab sides.
5uutlQ6.jpg

They just look bolded or something. Whatever the case, I know it's not supposed to be that way because I've seen them correctly shown in YouTube videos. And yes, I've tried redownloading and installing, though I only did that once.

I think it has something to do with your graphics settings and the way textures with transparent backgrounds are displayed. Check out how the "ES44AH" designation next to the lightning bolt is also obscured.

Try changing your graphics settings (OpenGL to DirectX or vise versa).

Matt

I'd just try bumping your texture quality up in Trainz Settings; I think by default it's pretty low.

peter

I don't think it's the texture quality, since I have that set to "High". And changing from OpenGL to DirectX only makes the menu screens blurrier, it seems. Unless it has to do with the in-game "Anisotropy" setting, which is at its (presumably) default setting of 1.

Oh, something that might've been useful for me to mention earlier, this is the only locomotive with the numbers looking like this. Every other locomotive I have installed has numbers displayed correctly.

I don't see it being a problem, what is your screen resolution...?

idk, the numbers look right here in the screenshot as well.

If it still really bugs you, you can edit the texture files the numbers are to make them a little smaller. But JR is typically pretty accurate on their models.

peter

There are cases where the sharp, clear edges of the autonumbers clash with a nicely weathered paint job. That might be happening here. A little practice with your favorite graphics editing program usually reveals ways in which the numbers can be improved. There are usually many different ways to achieve a particular effect, and of course it depends on what options your image editor provides, but I have found that the magic selection tool (which selects the opaque portion of the number) can be combined with a 'edge feather' effect to create numbers with slightly raggedy outlines, so they merge nicely into the underlying texture.

Back