Turnouts/Switches

coop2

Is there a way to reduce the distance that a turnout response to a train? Also is there a way to have a track trigger control a signal? I have a train stop at a red signal that shows that the next turnout is in the wrong direction but I have to stop the train a distance from the turnout or the turnout will lock and then I can't use a track trigger to turn the signal to green after a time delay.

By default your points have a radius of 20 mts. Reduce this to 0 if you want by selecting "trigger tab" and going down to advanced, where you set the trigger radius. Once you click the icon for set, click on the turnout and it will be set. At this point, I leave the radius set to your value, and click every-each set of points everywhere. You can confirm the settings easily with the "get trigger radius" icon. This is one of the wonders of our simulator, very well done.

Thanks for your help. That took care of one item. The other item is; is there a way to keep a turnout from locking when approached by a train? Or is there a way to reduce the distance from the turnout when it locks.

The locking distance is the same as the trigger distance, so if you reduce the trigger to say 1m then the turnout will not lock until the train is 1m from it.

Be careful about setting the distance down to 0. I did that on some turnouts on a route and had the points accidentally trip while a car was rolling over them between the two sets of bogies...resulting in a derailment. I would keep the distance to approximately the average freight car length of your route.

I'm missing something here. When I change the trigger distance it doesn't change the distance that the turnout locks. What does the trigger have to do with the turnout. Are we talking about the triggers that can be placed on the track?

When a consist is approaching a turnout, it locks irregardless of the radius setting. To compound the frustration, it also depends of the speed of the consist and distance. Long ago this was not that way. But some clever programer thought that for multiplayer it was advisable to write the code to do that. And so, we that don't use multiplayer got the "clever" feature wether we like or not. So far, the only way around this is to slow down until you can switch the points. Ideally, we should have the option of turning the "feature" on and off. As per the radius setting, I have never have a problem setting it to 0.03. Remember that the exact point of contact of the bogie with the track is not where you think it is, so a trial and error setting will give you the results you want. One last piece of advice is to position the red and green arrows a little bit away from the center of the spline circle away from the frogs. It prevents the last car from derailing unexpectedly (I thought that this was fixed in T:ANE, but it was not)..

Yes my info was wrong; it does depend on speed but since I am a narrow gauge man and work at low speeds I forgot that.

Hi all,

Sorry to bump a thread from over a year ago, but I was hoping one of you would be able to help me out.
I'm trying to model Swanage in TANE SP2, and I'm having a problem similar to the OPs wherein I can't switch the points in the headshunt because I am too close, therefore they remain locked.
I've tried all of the above, and while I can change the radius of the points between 10m and 20m, this is as small a gap as I can achieve - anything smaller doesn't work.

Now, when I say it doesn't 'work', I mean that the get radius and apply/set radius button doesn't seem to have any effect on junctions or buffers - only signals and speedsigns. Could anyone shed some light on this? I'm now wondering whether or not this could be a bug with TANE or am I just missing something?
Cheers,

PLP

Hi all,

Sorry to bump a thread from over a year ago, but I was hoping one of you would be able to help me out.
I'm trying to model Swanage in TANE SP2, and I'm having a problem similar to the OPs wherein I can't switch the points in the headshunt because I am too close, therefore they remain locked.
I've tried all of the above, and while I can change the radius of the points between 10m and 20m, this is as small a gap as I can achieve - anything smaller doesn't work.

Now, when I say it doesn't 'work', I mean that the get radius and apply/set radius button doesn't seem to have any effect on junctions or buffers - only signals and speedsigns. Could anyone shed some light on this? I'm now wondering whether or not this could be a bug with TANE or am I just missing something?
Cheers,

PLP

There's a bug in T:ANE SP2, however, it was fixed in SP2 HF1 (beta). I was able to go down to 1 meter and save without problem. I'm not sure if the setting will go smaller than that for switch levers.

There's a bug in T:ANE SP2, however, it was fixed in SP2 HF1 (beta). I was able to go down to 1 meter and save without problem. I'm not sure if the setting will go smaller than that for switch levers.

Hi,

It appears that this bug is still unsolved in TANE SP3 and even TRS19.

Kind Regards
Darko

Hi,

It appears that this bug is still unsolved in TANE SP3 and even TRS19.

Kind Regards
Darko

Thank you for the update on that Darko, though not a good one.

Apparently between the beta and final versions someone in their infinite wisdom "fixed" the problem again to be like it was.

I agree the locking should be a rule available for multiplayer ather than the default for all routes.

Thank you for the update on that Darko, though not a good one.

Apparently between the beta and final versions someone in their infinite wisdom "fixed" the problem again to be like it was.

I agree the locking should be a rule available for multiplayer ather than the default for all routes.
But in my set-up, at SP-3, I can set all the points to 1 m, and after saving and all that, they stay at the same setting. However.. do a DBR, and some, just some points, revert to 20 m. Why? I am sure someone at N3V knows, but they don't tell.

But in my set-up, at SP-3, I can set all the points to 1 m, and after saving and all that, they stay at the same setting. However.. do a DBR, and some, just some points, revert to 20 m. Why? I am sure someone at N3V knows, but they don't tell.

That's a scary find! If they don't know about this, report it because this sounds like a bug.

Back