Miniature Trains - 3 1/2" to 7 1/4"

flathog

Warning - Do not drop 747
Miniature Trains - 3 1/2" to 7 1/4"

I was wondering how many people here have miniature trains....

I had my first opportunity to drive a steam engine today and it was GREAT:)

Also if anyone in Australia knows of a small steam engine that is for sale preferably 5" please contact me:eek:

Tom
________
Jaguar R5 history

Last edited:
I was wondering how many people here have miniature trains....

I had my first opportunity to drive a steam engine today and it was GREAT:)

Also if anyone in Australia knows of a small steam engine that is for sale preferably 5" please contact me:eek:

Tom

Hi Tom

For buying a 5" loco, you could try Australian Model Engineering. They have a classifieds section that has a couple of locos in it from time to time.

Here's me and mine:

tent59l18ek.jpg

Cheers
Tony

Thats one great looking steamer you have there Tony. Wish I could get my hands on a nice 5" or 7 1/4" steamer. Too bad the back yard wouldn't be all that friendly (Either a nice big cutting, or a nice long bridge with some rather sharp curves). Guess if it were an 0-4-0, 0-6-0, or a logging loco it could work... :p
Zec

Unfortunately due to the fact I live in Orange I tend to get mine later then everyone else and therefore the engines have been sold WELL before I get the mag:(

We rang up a guy who was in the local area and he had sold his engine 2 days prior to our call which I made as soon as I got the mag and looked in the classifieds just to give you an idea of how late we get it:eek:

Tom
________
volcano vaporizers

Last edited:
Hi Tom

For buying a 5" loco, you could try Australian Model Engineering. They have a classifieds section that has a couple of locos in it from time to time.

Here's me and mine:

Cheers
Tony
I'm a member of the Model Engineers Club, but I don't have any miniature railway stuff, it's very costly ($2000 upwards i think) the closest I have to a miniature railway is a mixed scale model railway (On30, HO, OO) and an old Mecanno steam engine.
EDIT: I am only 12 years old, turning 13 in September, which probably makes me one of the youngest in the Trainz Community and my Dad puts off this sort of thing, and if I say we can build it ourselves, he says: "We don't have the tools or the expertise to do such a thing." and if I say to try he just says that I'm too young.

Last edited:
These are mine. (somewhat less impressive than the previous shots though) both are 5" gauge.

This one is about 60 years old and has a wooden body. (we had to remove the inner axles to get it around our curves, it was designed to run on straight track only) It has had new motors and control gear to get it running again after being in storage for a long time.
loco_10001.jpg

loco_10001.jpg

train_greenhouse.jpg
train_greenhouse.jpg

This little loco tends to coast rather too well when you close the throttle, so some creative braking is sometimes required ;)

loco_braking.jpg

Mike.
loco_braking.jpg

I really like those steamers. whish i could purchase some of these and build a layout but sadlty i'm too poor. (and yes my family has 36 acres in PA we could use)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

Not in Australia, but this is where I get my stuff from. They sell loco kits and ready to run. They also sell second hand and export all over the world. I've always found them very friendly and helpful.

You may want to make sure your wallet is in the safe care of someone else when viewing the site though, just in case. ;)

http://www.maxitrak.co.uk/

I've seen the Class 45 loco in the flesh in 7.25" gauge and it is fabulous. :)

Mike.

Hay Tom why not put a wanted add in the mag so the people who get it first might ring you first.

No were there is a live steam NSWGR 30 class tank loco in 12 inch to the foot scale that is a large bolt together kit that is for sale. IIRC its number is 3013.

Got some great video footage from the invite steam up held in Canberra.

I'm a member of the Model Engineers Club, but I don't have any miniature railway stuff, it's very costly ($2000 upwards i think) the closest I have to a miniature railway is a mixed scale model railway (On30, HO, OO) and an old Mecanno steam engine.
EDIT: I am only 12 years old, turning 13 in September, which probably makes me one of the youngest in the Trainz Community and my Dad puts off this sort of thing, and if I say we can build it ourselves, he says: "We don't have the tools or the expertise to do such a thing." and if I say to try he just says that I'm too young.

You tell your dad your NEVER to young;). There are PLENTY of engine out there that require little lathe work etc...

He probably doesn't realise that these models electric/diesel or steam or an INVESTMENT. Not just a toy.:D I'm only 14 and me and my dad took on an AME NSWGR 422 as a father and son project, its costly but being spread out over a 2-3 year period makes it ALOT more managable. And we are paying of a loan and in the process of furnishing our house. So its not totally impossible:)

@ Bearcat245 I'd definately be interested in that kit:eek:
What gauge is it just for curiousity sake...:udrool:

You weren't wrong Mike10...:(My pockets somehow just became very shallow compared to how deep they would need to be for one of those engine:(, Aww well My dad has shown SOME interest. I have also been looking a Polly Model Engineering. Does anyone have an opinion on them???

http://www.rideonrailways.co.uk/
http://www.pnp-railways.co.uk/
http://www.pollymodelengineering.co.uk/

I will consider putting a wanted ad in AME when me and my dad have decided upon a price we would be willing to pay:eek:

Tom

EDIT: Kaleb I have just noticed you live in Tamworth, Might see you oneday as I do plan on visiting at some stage. Just persit with your dad and if need be show him the websites above. EXTREMELY CHEAP considering they cost minimum $3,000 for a small Trojan from Ride On Railways.

Tom
________
Ford SAF

Last edited:
@ Bearcat245 I'd definately be interested in that kit:eek:
What gauge is it just for curiousity sake...:udrool:

Tom

its 4 feet 8 and a half inches

it s just down the road about an hours drive form you, drop in for a cofffee or coke on the way past and will show you some way cool video

Took some Kiwi visitors to one of the local minature railways in the Adelaide suburbs a couple of weeks ago - the 7.25in Morphett Vake Railway.

John Wakefield's freelance 2-10-4, based on line drawings of proposed but never built South African 22 class with a few touches borrowed from the 'Red Devil' 4-8-4.
MVRail_1.jpg

A cute freelance 2-6-2, an amalgam of South American, Indian Railways and US narrow gauge influences I think?
MVRail_3.jpg

MVRail_2.jpg

Mark, South Oz

Back