Amtrack Freight

bnsfc

Steam Nut
I remember in the early to mid 2000's the trans-con Amtrak trains like the California zephyr (who's route I used to live next to) would be twice there normal length due to box car's or (though I never saw them) road-railer's. anyone know why they stopped it? Considering Amtrak is trying to be self sufficient it seems silly to stop what I'm assuming was a very profitable business.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think I remember some complaints that AMTRAK, which was supposed to be a passenger-only company, was breaking into the freight companies business. Seems like I remember there was some legal action to stop them from doing so. Or maybe just threats of some.

Not too long ago, maybe six months, I saw some of the old AMTRAK Express cars in the yard at Clovis. Not on an AMTRAK train, though.

That's quite a locomotive you have in your sig file -- 4-6-6-6... And cab forward! And cab rear! I'm not too sure what to think of it! :hehe:

Earl
Clovis, New Mexico USA

huh. I would think that shipping mail wouldn't be that much of a problem, considering its very low volume and passenger trains have been doing it for 100 years.

And yea, that engine was a real plan thought up between the ATSF and Baldwin (I believe). its a 2-8-8-8-8-8-2, would have a flexible boiler, and 3 smoke stacks. But after the failure of both the ATSF flexi boiler mallet's and the triplex's out east, the idea was scraped

I'm not 100% sure, but I think I remember some complaints that AMTRAK, which was supposed to be a passenger-only company, was breaking into the freight companies business. Seems like I remember there was some legal action to stop them from doing so. Or maybe just threats of some.

Correct.

huh. I would think that shipping mail wouldn't be that much of a problem, considering its very low volume and passenger trains have been doing it for 100 years.

It was much more than just mail being carried by Amtrak in those boxcars and roadrailers. Beer, apples, and several other types of time sensitive freight.

Point taken about just the mail, but still, I would think it wouldn't hurt freight railroads THAT much. I mean 1 train each way once a day with 10? cars/roadrailers cant be that bad for business, and considering it was a premium service....

Fun fact, Amtrak does still technically haul freight. Mind you it is usually under special circumstances and is usually limited quantity. Occasionally a few pallets will be hauled in baggage from time to time with various products to be dropped of en route. Adding additional bag cars for capacity does happen but is rare.

I remember that those boxcars mostly carried mail and express freight, until the US Postal Service discontinued its contract with Amtrak in favor of planes. I've seen photos of them still in phase IV, lacking the Amtrak logo, and marshaled in freight trains since then.

I believe a handful are probably under the ownership of a car leasing company now.

I don't want to post too much, but similarly to the above post JointedRail made a 50ft Highcube boxcar in a weathered, patched Amtrak scheme.

One of the reasons why the express freight service (which continued after Amtrak stopped carrying mail) later ended was probably because of that bill-thingy that was passed to give Amtrak greater priority in order to improve timeliness. Amtrak was notorious for not keeping long-distance trains on schedule with freight trains taking priority. And given that Amtrak is a government-created entity, that bill seemed rather unfair to freight railroads. A federally subsidized rail service taking advantage of such a boost by taking away potential business from those who actually own the tracks for their own gain.

Freight railroads didn't want to play with the kid that has the parents who make all the rules.

On a related note, the first true Phase IV (not IVb) Amtrak equipment I ever saw besides 184 was an ex-Amtrak boxcar being used in freight service. I'll post a pic when I can.

Check out the Southern Railroads steam roster as they were well into these type of configurations, not this big of course!

And yea, that engine was a real plan thought up between the ATSF and Baldwin (I believe). its a 2-8-8-8-8-8-2, would have a flexible boiler, and 3 smoke stacks. But after the failure of both the ATSF flexi boiler mallet's and the triplex's out east, the idea was scraped

Well, I'm not sure if this counts but Amtrak did lease some of their F40PHs to Norfolk Southern in the early 2000's. So it could be classified as an Amtrak freight train.

Back