Intermodal Load Issues

Ken_S

I'm having the following issues with Intermodal loads downloaded from JR.

Error: Unable to commit changes to asset <kuid:334896:10103> as the config file contains the wrong KUID - The config file for this asset is more or less full of gibberish and unknown characters.

Error: Failed to commit changes to asset <kuid:334896:10100> due to file access error

Error: Failed to commit changes to asset <kuid:334896:10106> due to file access error

Error: Failed to commit changes to asset <kuid2:334896:120029:1> due to file access error

Error: Failed to commit changes to asset <kuid:334896:120031> due to file access error

Error: Unable to commit changes to asset <kuid:334896:10105> as the config file contains the wrong KUID

The files are fine so it seems like some sort of either permissions error or possibly even an incomplete download? I've installed all the loads just now again in TANE and TS12 without any issues

I did an EDR recently and it appears that these loads are still not working properly. The big problem with this is that it creates "floating containers" on some intermodal cars because these loads aren't working.

I've redownloaded these assets and I'm getting the following.

Error: Failed to commit changes to asset <kuid:334896:120031> due to file access error
Error: Failed to commit changes to asset <kuid2:334896:120029:1> due to file access error
Error: Failed to commit changes to asset <kuid:334896:10105> due to file access error
Error: Failed to commit changes to asset <kuid:334896:10103> due to file access error
Error: Failed to commit changes to asset <kuid:334896:10100> due to file access error
Error: Failed to commit changes to asset <kuid:334896:10106> due to file access error

I've redownloaded these assets and I'm getting the following.

..snip..

Just having this same error recently, while trying to get my old copy of TS2010 back in order (Error: Failed to commit changes to asset <kuid:334896:10106> due to file access error), an internet search turns up only this thread as relevant, but it seems an "answer" was never really found... So I did some investigating into other areas, since I know the .CDP I have is good, and the 53' Container Trailer Library is installed and running with no errors in both TS12 and TANE... I also noticed, the OP only has up to TS2010 in his timeline of Trainz versions, which got me thinking it is not a content issue, but a TS2010 issue.

-Turns out, as best I can determine, that the "problem" is not that the content is not "compatible" with TS2010 (beacause it is compatible), but simply that the Library package is too large (at over 147MB) for TS2010 to process. I can not find the article I thought I read long ago, but other information I found indicates that TS2010 has a 100MB file size limit. This seems to be confirmed by the fact that TS2010 is processing the config.txt and converting to config.chump files, but simply can not process the large volume of the container trailers files and their skins, and is unable to commit the asset as a whole.

I am looking into a way, or how to, split the library up, to make two 75MB libraries, and if I find a solution, I will post instructions here. I realize that JR does not support anything past the newest version of TS12, and I understand and respect that choice. Hopefully, no one is offended that I provided some information on the subject, as there are quite a few assets that are TS2010 compatible, but are Dependant on this Library asset.

Just having this same error recently, while trying to get my old copy of TS2010 back in order (Error: Failed to commit changes to asset <kuid:334896:10106> due to file access error), an internet search turns up only this thread as relevant, but it seems an "answer" was never really found... So I did some investigating into other areas, since I know the .CDP I have is good, and the 53' Container Trailer Library is installed and running with no errors in both TS12 and TANE... I also noticed, the OP only has up to TS2010 in his timeline of Trainz versions, which got me thinking it is not a content issue, but a TS2010 issue.

-Turns out, as best I can determine, that the "problem" is not that the content is not "compatible" with TS2010 (beacause it is compatible), but simply that the Library package is too large (at over 147MB) for TS2010 to process. I can not find the article I thought I read long ago, but other information I found indicates that TS2010 has a 100MB file size limit. This seems to be confirmed by the fact that TS2010 is processing the config.txt and converting to config.chump files, but simply can not process the large volume of the container trailers files and their skins, and is unable to commit the asset as a whole.

I am looking into a way, or how to, split the library up, to make two 75MB libraries, and if I find a solution, I will post instructions here. I realize that JR does not support anything past the newest version of TS12, and I understand and respect that choice. Hopefully, no one is offended that I provided some information on the subject, as there are quite a few assets that are TS2010 compatible, but are Dependant on this Library asset.

VVMM has a utility called CDP Explorer.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/vvmm/

You can extract the assets from the CDP into individual asset folders to any path. I extract the assets to a temp folder on my F: drive (F:\TEMP).

Once extracted you can then import those extracted assets into TS2010 Content Manager.

Using this method, there is no reason to divvy up the content into smaller CDPs unless you want to.

I do vaguely remember that problem, now that you mention it. Since CDPs use the LZW compression, it may have been due to the version that was available at the time. 100 MB files were considered quite large. The size did increase in TS12 to a much more friendly size of around 500 MB. Anything larger than that may work, but keeping the files at 500 MB plays it safe.

VVMM has a utility called CDP Explorer.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/vvmm/

You can extract the assets from the CDP into individual asset folders to any path. I extract the assets to a temp folder on my F: drive (F:\TEMP).

Once extracted you can then import those extracted assets into TS2010 Content Manager.

Using this method, there is no reason to divvy up the content into smaller CDPs unless you want to.

I do vaguely remember that problem, now that you mention it. Since CDPs use the LZW compression, it may have been due to the version that was available at the time. 100 MB files were considered quite large. The size did increase in TS12 to a much more friendly size of around 500 MB. Anything larger than that may work, but keeping the files at 500 MB plays it safe.

Unfortunately John, I think the file size issue is internal to TS2010, or CMv3.3 and older, as I tried several methods, including import CDP, import Content Folder (from both TS12 and TANE working installs, as well as from a temp folder location) and even just copying the Config.txt in to the "open for edit" folder of TS2010, after a failed commit, thinking that maybe there was a problem with the Config.txt>Config.chump file after installing to TS2010. Maybe I am missing something, but I see no "privileges" container in the Config file that would prohibit a successful commit. I'm trying to find another CDP/asset with a file size larger than 120MB single-asset/KUID CDP to test my theory, but have not yet found one from a 3rd party. Plenty of large CDPs, but they end up being "packs" of multiple small asset KUIDs. To clarify, the asset "installs", but will not commit, due to file access error. I have Admin Priv installs, installed Trainz versions on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th hard drives (none on Windows C drive), have taken Ownership, set Security privileges for all Folders, and even tried resetting for just that particular file in each type of install attempt, with no joy.

The file in question is by SoCalWB909, 53' Container Trailers, contains (3) KUIDs, only the largest, the "library" will not commit.
https://socaltrains.weebly.com/products.html <~from here.

Edit: Opening in TANE, Windows Explorer says the Library file KUID:334896:10106 is 575MB~577MB after decompression. TS12 and TANE handle the file just fine, but TS2010 will not commit it.

Edit 2: Okay, so I opened a working version from TANE, copied the 577MB file to a temp folder, deleted (30) sub-folders (30 of 40 trailers in the Library) reducing the total file size to approx. 145-ish MB, and I was able to get the KUID*10106 to commit. Of course, now I have 30 errors for the 30 missing sub-folders, which was totally expected. I have one of two issues: 1. the file is just too large for CMv3.3 to commit at 577MB, or 2. one or more of the 30 sub-folders have bad errors (unlikely, as they work in other installs).

Last edited:
I have found a solution, albeit a bit 'round-about. To get the Library installed into TS2010, you will need Trainz TS12, and have the KUID:334896:10106 installed without errors.

1. In TS12 Content Manager, find <KUID:334896:10106>, Right click->Edit->Edit in Explorer.
2. Copy the entire folder to another location (a temp folder, a "working" folder, an "editing" folder, etc.)
3. Open the new copied folder, and you should see a few files, and (40) sub-folders: Select 30-35 of the sub-folders and Delete them.
3.a. Make a note of the name of one of the folders you left intact, such as "bnsf1-ribbed". You will need this name later.
--Do NOT delete the Config.txt or Render.jpg, and leave at least 5 sub-folders (which contain the shape and texture files of the trailers).
4. Return to TS12 CM, select the Open for Edit <KUID:334896:10106>, right click->Edit->Revert. Close TS12.
5 Open TS2010 Content Manager, click Menu at top left, select "Import Content", then navigate to the temp folder you pasted the edited KUID:334896:10106 folder to and select it.
--CM should proceed to install and commit the <KUID:334896:10106> asset. After installed and committed, the asset will show as many errors as the number of folders you deleted previously. That is OK at this point.
6. Minimize TS2010 CM and open Windows Explorer.
6.a. Navigate to your TS2010 installation folder, then to the UserData->Local folder. (ex. "E:\Auran\TS2010\UserData\local\")
7. Using the name you noted earlier (ex. "bnsf1-ribbed"), use the Windows Search box in the top right of Windows Explorer to search the UserData->Local folder.
--It will take a few minutes if you have a large install, be patient.
8. If you have more than one result, do not worry, it is not an error. Another KUID also uses the same names, just select the one with the newest date and/or the correct KUID:334896:10106 number.
--You should now see in your window (2) IM files, (5) txt files, (4) texture files, and (4) tga files.
9. Look at the Address Bar, and look to see WHICH "Hash" folder these files are located in.
--On my computer, they are at.. E:\Auran\TS2010\UserData\local\hash-74\kuid 334896 10106\ ..note the Hash-74, or whatever your system shows.
10. Open a SECOND instance of Windows Explorer, and navigate to your TS12 installation folder, and again to your "UserData\Local" folder.
10.a. Find the Hash-xx folder noted in #9, open it, and look for kuid:334896:10106. (on my system, the KUID was located in the "UserData\Local\Hash-74" folder of BOTH TS2010 and TS12 .. Coincidence?)
--(ex. "F:\N3V Games\TS12\UserData\local\hash-74\kuid 334896 10106\")
11. COPY the (40) sub-folders ONLY. Do not copy the "Config.chump" file.
12. Go back to the first Windows Explorer, your "TS2010\UserData\Local\Hash-xx\kuid:334896:10106" folder and PASTE the (40) sub-folders, over-write or skip as you please, the existing few folders.
13. Close both Windows Explorer windows, and return to TS2010 Content Manager. -The kuid:334896:10106 will still show faulty .. that's OK.
14. Right click the asset, View Errors and Warnings. --CM will validate the file, and now containing all (40) files, should return with no errors and no warnings. Done.

What I found is that with 40 "assets" in the Library, CMv3.3 was failing to compress the Textures, and kicking back the File Access error. You will notice, there are NO .texture files in the FIRST folder you opened for edit in TS12, but there ARE .texture files in the Local\Hash-xx\kuid folder ... By copying these already compressed .textures from TS12\Local\Hash-xx\kuid:334896:10106 you avoid the error in TS2010 CM.

Unfortunately John, I think the file size issue is internal to TS2010, or CMv3.3 and older, as I tried several methods, including import CDP, import Content Folder (from both TS12 and TANE working installs, as well as from a temp folder location) and even just copying the Config.txt in to the "open for edit" folder of TS2010, after a failed commit, thinking that maybe there was a problem with the Config.txt>Config.chump file after installing to TS2010. Maybe I am missing something, but I see no "privileges" container in the Config file that would prohibit a successful commit. I'm trying to find another CDP/asset with a file size larger than 120MB single-asset/KUID CDP to test my theory, but have not yet found one from a 3rd party. Plenty of large CDPs, but they end up being "packs" of multiple small asset KUIDs. To clarify, the asset "installs", but will not commit, due to file access error. I have Admin Priv installs, installed Trainz versions on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th hard drives (none on Windows C drive), have taken Ownership, set Security privileges for all Folders, and even tried resetting for just that particular file in each type of install attempt, with no joy.

Okay I understand. I thought it was a multiple-assets pack.

I remembered I had TS2010 installed - I use it rarely to convert old routes to move them up to T:ANE+.

Anyway I just imported a 138MB CDP without errors so that theory isn't working the way we thought, although I have seen this issue with a file being too big. The issue though has nothing to do with permissions and most likely either data corruption or something else that's causing TRS2010 Content Manager to timeout. Sometimes the error messages are what are called red herrings and lead us in the wrong direction. This isn't uncommon with software.

At the Launcher screen go into the settings and then developer, and then turn on show database processes. While importing the CDP, which you know will hang, watch the processes. This may give an indication of what's happening.

Okay I understand. I thought it was a multiple-assets pack.

I remembered I had TS2010 installed - I use it rarely to convert old routes to move them up to T:ANE+.

Anyway I just imported a 138MB CDP without errors so that theory isn't working the way we thought, although I have seen this issue with a file being too big. The issue though has nothing to do with permissions and most likely either data corruption or something else that's causing TRS2010 Content Manager to timeout. Sometimes the error messages are what are called red herrings and lead us in the wrong direction. This isn't uncommon with software.

At the Launcher screen go into the settings and then developer, and then turn on show database processes. While importing the CDP, which you know will hang, watch the processes. This may give an indication of what's happening.

Though the CDP reads as only 149MB, once unpacked, it is around 577MB of data .. Seems to be just too many textures for TS2010 to compress from TGA to .texture format in one lump. With 8Gb of RAM, well above what TS2010 needs, I can only conclude it is something within TS2010 that is struggling to handle a large task.

At any rate, I did get them installed, as I outlined above, and all is working as it should now.

Back