Page 11 of 64 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Snow High Valley Distr Ctr (High Resolution 950x532) Approx

Quote Originally Posted by maruffijd View Post
    Trees in the road? It ain't nothing a few lumberjacks, a stump puller, and a basic road maintainance/pave crew can't fix. You'll be back in buisiness and get some lumber for vacation cottages. Still a good looking route. Can't wait for the next chapter of this series.
    I'm talking to the City about that Tree in the Road now, it seems they got Road Plan changes and the Contractor didn't see it or get it in time while they were installing the Road, so he didn't want to remove the Tree without permission, so he just paved it into the Road.........Imagine that!

Thank you for kind Comments too......

Question Farmland III (need help on Farm Structure placement ideas) Pics 2, 3, 4, Thanks

Continuing on, the blue line below, I added in Bridge, and raised the Terrain up 1/2 way because the Concrete Supports are not to long, so the Dirt had to come up to meet. All worked out fine......

I added some Pine Tree Groups in with the Trees that came with Farm Country Kuid I used.

Over view Map here, the Yard is Aurora and has a Engine Facilities several Tracks for sorting, and I believe a Coal dump area too.

My small issue from last night, (Red Circle) is some Farm Buildings I put in center of the Field, Sort of, LOL, and I'm not sure I like the placement,

I'm thinking of moving to one of the ends in the field, possibly closer to the Highway.....????

DO you think it is fine where it sets, or do I need to move it?

This is a night shot below from the Highway side viewing across the fields........

Over view from the air to see what you think of the location, and it's and easy move to relocate this structure on the field, I do copy and paste mode, then just redo the Brown lines, about 5 mins or less....I'm not sure I'm satisfied with the placement of it?????

This is last corner of the Farm Country Kuid, and I was able to get the Main Line moved over about 25 feet to the left of these houses and get the Ground dropped so it all works nicely now. Added several Trees in here too.
    Just another view from a different direction., and this is in the Evening time too, that's why it's somewhat Dark, but I think it works OK for you to see the details in my Pictures.

Have a blessed Sunday and thanks for coming by to visit.
    Last edited by blueodessey; October 2nd, 2016 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Add more notes

Honestly, I feel moving the structures closer to the road is a plus. As is, there would be possible crop damage as any people or vehicles would have to trample something costing the farmer money. If you do leave it where it is at, at least put in a path to connect the "island" to the main road. Another idea is to extend the surrounding grass as a skinny line along the road as croplines don't actually touch the road. This is just my point of view.
    (-3-)y-~~

Question

Honestly, I feel moving the structures closer to the road is a plus. As is, there would be possible crop damage as any people or vehicles would have to trample something costing the farmer money. If you do leave it where it is at, at least put in a path to connect the "island" to the main road. Another idea is to extend the surrounding grass as a skinny line along the road as croplines don't actually touch the road. This is just my point of view.

Fantastic maruffijd, I just needed another set of eyes, and me not being a Farmer, that makes perfect sense.....I'll move it over and put in some Green next to the Road, it didn't even dawn on me about Crop Lines touching the Road..........

One other Ques, do think just Plane Dirt road is reasonable for the Farm?

Thanks for the help here.

1. You are welcome. There is value in some 3rd party observations, and a fresh set of eyes can spot what is overlooked.

2. Sure. Plain dirt would be fine. A farm "driveway" can be any thing. Dirt, gravel, ashphalt, concrete, shredded tire bits,... It's up to how frugal or creative the farmer wants to be. I have even seen one made out of leftover lumber from when the house was finished being built and the owner did not want to waste one spinter.
    (-3-)y-~~

Thumbs up

1. You are welcome. There is value in some 3rd party observations, and a fresh set of eyes can spot what is overlooked.

2. Sure. Plain dirt would be fine. A farm "driveway" can be any thing. Dirt, gravel, ashphalt, concrete, shredded tire bits,... It's up to how frugal or creative the farmer wants to be. I have even seen one made out of leftover lumber from when the house was finished being built and the owner did not want to waste one spinter.
    Copy that, and I've seen some funny things, but on the other hand, Farming is darn near a 24hr job, depending on what is needed to keep it going. I have lot of respect for the Farmers, they keep us fed, but some of the stuff they come up with, your spot on!

I did a lot of Tinkering tonight, have a slew of Pictures and more advice needed on some Road additions I have in mind for nearby area. So if I may I will call on you for some more guidance.

I Plan on talking about background Wall Boards which hopefully will be interesting for some Corner and end of Base Board Horizon issues you see when your looking across the Base boards at distant objects etc.

It's late and I'm off to bed before I see the Sun again,just remembered it's Monday, where did my weekend go!!!!

I really can see how folks can spend Hours, Days, Weeks on their Route, everywhere I look I see something I want to change or improve in some way, and hey, I haven't even learned how to Reskin yet .....

Maybe some day I'll cross that path, but just am having to much fun building, and Merging Routes.

I have a desktop New HP and I want to get this whole thing ported over to it, too see how the dedicated Video Card works, vs my Laptop, which I know I push to its draw able limits, you can see the Horizon Sheets of Mountains, Water etc drop out of sight at certain Ranges of View when driving a Loco, or scanning ahead on Draw Distance....

Thanks again for your assistance.........

Lightbulb Relocation of Farm House, and Green built fixes

Good day all,

I moved the Farm House out of the middle of Planted Field, dropped in a road and widened the Green area between Road and Crops. Thanks maruffijd for the great advice Sir.....

I decided I wanted more Green around the Farmhouse (black arrow) and I think it works out pretty well.

View from across the Field on Track side...Beautiful star lit evening and lots of Smoke coming out of the house, they must be Smoking and Curing some meat tonight.......

I even found Ranch Sign for the place.........LOL

Dropped in 2 lane Dirt Road, didn't have any Scrap Lumber laying around for now, Asphalt is too expensive, we are just starting up our Farm, going to take several Growing seasons before we have enough money for that improvement......

Overhead map for clarity....Blue arrows, put in lots of trees in these corners and raised the Dirt a little....Yellow Arrow is new Farm House relocation. Red Arrow is Green Belt improvements.

Rail Yard below is directly across from the Farm area I was working on.....Lots of surprises coming.......Thanks for coming by.

Lightbulb Back Ground Panels you can use anywhere on Layout, ?New Asset brought in Turbine Loco

Just wanted to share about using Backgrounds Panels, you find these in your inventory I believe, if not let me know and I'll post the some names of the ones I use, I think this one is called Country..

Have you ever looked across your Baseboards from the Rail, while your Driving or doing surveyor work, and you see the edge of your 't board and it just doesn't look finished right, or if your like me with Merged routes, you see the Black edge of another Panel from across where you removed a panel you didn't need because of too many Excess Panels......

In Picture below, you can't see far in distance, it looks like Terrain just falls off.....now look to the Right, and see the difference with similair colored panel dropped in, and I raised the edge of existing Panel, to give a small hill, and it matches the back ground hills too.....IT looks great,,,Now I don't need to add another panel, yes you can have high mountains on you edges, you can have Water, but there are places where you'll still see it end. I have routes merged where a Water way someone made goes about 100 feet and stops at the edge of baseboard and it looks really funny as your up on train Bridge looking out your Loco, from engineers Cab, and you see it........Catch my drift......Of course it is all in what you want and accept........

Ok look in middle top and see the Back and front of Wall Board here.....Now look at Dirt Field and drops off at edge looks funny, but when I drop in another board and bridge the Gap, and level it slightly below the Dirt Field using elevation Tool, it will make this look great, plus Board is painted on both sides, you can flip it too to get the side you like best.....Neat Trick I think....

Here's another view of the Board, YELLOW arrows so you can see how it looks from the back side as well,,,,,I indented the Board about 3 feet in from the edge, I've seen folks put the board in the middle of a baseboard and have tracks running on both sides,......

New loco on Scene, this is a Gas Turbine, I believe it is more powerful than traditional Locomotive,,,,,Got me a UP Caboose tonight from the DLS.

And here is a UP Slug ( with Blinking alternating lights on Top too) I found too, I'm setting up a Tanker Train to run, with 58 Tankers in Tow,,,,Thanks Dave Snow for his awesome looking Tankers he made for us........He is the Wizard.......

And for the real Show Stopper, X18 UP 8500 HP Gas Turbine has been downloaded tonight and pressed into service.....Thank you Cloaked Ghost for the Great work on this one......I've been looking for this and other Turbines, I got a CN Red & Black Livery if I recall too.....

That's it for now, got some Honey Dues stuff to get on with........Before my Wife gets me.....LOL

Glad I can help. If I can answer any questions, I am at your service.

One word of advice:

I recommend the backdrops that don't have the attached sky. The ones with the sky sometimes have off hued skies that are noticable from a distance, and really show this during sunrise/set as a blue sky painted drop looks odd against a red sunset. Good news is there are more than enough solid and spline drops to shop for, so finding one that fits should be easy.

OH! BTW, I have been taliking to a Travel Agent to see if I can by a ticket to the area for a short repite from the daily grind
    (-3-)y-~~

Question Background Panel addit info &(Traffic Tunnel or Traffic Road over Mtns)need advice?

Thanks maruffijd for the help with Painted Skyline on my background, I had forgotten, several month's ago I had put one of these similar backgrounds in another part of my layout and I did do night work, and saw mismatch with Sky Color at night looking in that direction, so now I need to live with it, or go find some replacements with no Sky......Appreciate the pointer.......At the time I didn't know they came without painted Sky. As you see here it definitely sticks out there in Starry night scene.....

Ok.. so here my dilemma, I've known for a while when I merged this route that I had a cutoff road to nowhere, ending at the base of Canyon....So now I'm working in this area, what do you think would look better, Road goes into Tunnel just like Rail Line on Left side with Rocky opening, or do I go up and over the mountains? I like to do what looks best here, and I'm not sure??

Suggestions please......

Here is a better picture of the Road, and you see the Rail Side going into Tunnel on Left, and I redid these fields too,, lots of Shrubbery and Granite Rocks added to Tunnel on Left, I didn't care for the plane concrete Opening I had......I need to look around for better looking Tunnel Covers I think!

Here is Map overlook, and the Red Line is proposed highway either over the Mountain, or through it, and It would empty out next to Tracks somewhere on the low end of the hills and then continue next to mainline, finally connecting to Aurora Yards over at the Bay, which does not have a Highway entrance at the moment..Only a short Road from Cruise Line Landing just below and slightly left of the Large Red Arrow........

This is other end of the Road that comes away from the proposed Tunnel (small red Arrow) and goes into the Coastal and Beach side North of Aurora Yards over by Lovette Water Canal Inlet........

Here is a picture further away from the Hill and you can see where the Road ends at base of Mountains for more visual perspective.

Question Granite added to Concrete Tunnel Opening, Missing Tender on Turbine,,,OOPS!!

Evening all, I added a bunch of Plants and Shrubbery in this area, and redid the colors in some spots, as well as the Canyon walls, plus I was experimenting to dress up the Tunnel Opening with some Granite Rocks...I think it looks OK, just like to see what you think, is it OK, or does it not work aesthetically? You won't hurt my feelings.......

Closer Picture of the Opening, I laid the Boulders across the top of the opening to Tunnel.

Ground level view here

Here is same Tunnel and what it looks like on other side, but I won't change this one because I don't have high height Mountain on the Entry side for comparison......

Put a whole bunch of Shrubbery and Plant Hedges in the area of the Red Arrow.....I think it came out OK.......Dropped some big Boulders in the Field on lower left for more contrasting color arrangements.

Ok....I made a big Boo Boo here, and the Corridor Mgr gave me phone call tonight, well actually this morning, Last night I was super happy to get my A & B UP 8500HP Turbine unit, so when the Corridor Mgr called me, he asked so how do you like your Turbine, I said well it not quite ready to leave yet, we are still assembling the Consists! That's good, but you know you don't have all the Units?

I think I fell like an idiot now as the Big Boss is talking with me, So do you know what your missing,, ? I answer honestly, no sir, I don't but if you explain it to me, I promise not to let it happen again! And he said, well the units you have use a bit of fuel, so depending on what your pulling and Grades Etc, there is a possibility those Engines could run out of Fuel before you get to your next destination, so Union Pacific also had a special Fuel Tender that comes with your units, it was in for Maintenance when you ordered the Turbines, and they should have sent it to you? But it appears you were not informed on this..... He started laughing, I just didn't want you to run out of Fuel in the Mountains over there, and it take a while to get Fuel up there via Semi......

Son, don't worry about it, I have it being deadheaded over to you for later today, and you can hook it up,,,I'm sending the instructions for Fuel Lines too......

I thanked him and I think my Face went 3 shades of red from out right embarrassment! So here is the complete unit below.....

This Consist will be something once we get the rest of the Tankers added onto to the back, 60 car Train, but it is loaded so it will be heavy, I'm adding a different Turbine (helper service) in the Back, it doesn't need a Fuel Tender....I don't wont any Broken Coupler Knuckels.LoL.

Like they say you don't know what you don't know.

Cool Tanker Train with new UP Turbines (Our Trip begins)

Good Day all,

As you know, I've been modeling like crazy, I going take a diversion here, and do some Trainz Driving with my new Toys....

So here we go, Picture of my engineer getting ready for a Road trip from Aurora to Montana Rail Link.

Here is my other Turbine Loco, and does it have power and speed.....It will be the Helper that gets us over the heavy Grades ahead, one of them is 5% so this guy should keep me from breaking knuckles on heavy grades.

I pushed the Caboose to the back so we can have it at the rear......

Here is a look at the Turbine Motor, strange to me, I've never see one before.....Now lets see if it has the Power to muster this heavy Tanker Load up the hill.

Moving back to pick up our Caboose

And here we go.

Based on the way the road digs into the terrain on the first pic, a tunnel might be a better choice. Going over means lowering terrain to prevent the road from going too steep. Even road engineers try to keep the grade closer to level, and loaded semis wouldn't strain/breakdown climbing steep grades. Or even worse, lose the trailer on the grade due to broken trailer pins.
    (-3-)y-~~

Based on the way the road digs into the terrain on the first pic, a tunnel might be a better choice. Going over means lowering terrain to prevent the road from going too steep. Even road engineers try to keep the grade closer to level, and loaded semis wouldn't strain/breakdown climbing steep grades. Or even worse, lose the trailer on the grade due to broken trailer pins.

Sounds good to me, and I think I'll bring that Tunnel closer to the Rail Overpass bridge so I can smooth out that Canyon, which was one of things that was vexing me in the way the Road cut into the hills.

BTW, off topic here a bit, I hope someone keeps an eye on Florida, I have a feeling that Hurricane they said would probably not hit Florida, will be a bigger deal than expected, hope folks are preparing just in case!!

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/04/americ...icane-matthew/

Thanks for good advice too.