Snow High Valley Distr Ctr (High Resolution 950x532) Approx

Nice shots Blue! Glad the hump yard is working for you. The way I have it designed, you can use the loop to run around your train as long as it isn't too terribly long, and then use the lead just outside of town to push the cars up to it, that way you only have to go over the hump once, and you don't have to hump the engines which would bottom out on the hump.

I need to get back to work on the layout soon, at the moment I'm just trying to find room in my schedule to do so. Next week is finals week, and I have a engineering graphics project due Thursday alongside my English portfolio, plus a chem exam I believe on Friday. So I am completely booked at least for the next 2 days, and I'll only have some very minimal breathing room by Friday between 11:00 and 2:30 before I have to gear up for another weekend working the train.

That said, after finals week, I can really turn myself loose on the project, and most importantly its content pack. I have a few ideas for skins that I want to pursue, plus a couple of existing skins I can finalize for release. I'm really hoping Dave releases his GP15 soon, because that little switcher is absolutely perfect for this route and I plan to skin one pretty much instantly upon release for this route. In addition to that, I have Dave's GP40-2W finished for one number, I plan on doing several more, I have mchawkman's SW1500's done more or less, probably won't need to do anything to them to get them release worthy. I have his SD40T-2's started as well but not finished. I have SD40-2's and SD60's from JR finished, but whether or not I can put those out there is doubtful at best. This leaves the projects that I have not yet started. I fully plan to skin up Dave's GP38-2 for this route. I may do another skin from him as well but I would actually have to look and see what all he has made in the locomotive department, as the list by now of his assets is getting to be quite spectacular. The other option is to work around the highly improbable chance of getting the JR SD40-2's out there by instead skinning the SPorBust SD40-2 for the NCNO. I think I can produce a skin in suitable quality to get Frank's seal of approval, although really I'm going from highly unlikely chance of success to highly unlikely chance of success. Basically I'll just see what I can come up with and get permission for and what I put out I put out.

After all that I want to start addressing the problems that the route has, which I have outlined several times and don't have to energy to outline again. Hopefully I can put out an updated route and content pack out around Christmas-ish.

No worries, Take care of those Finals first, that is up most importance, this will keep.....Priorities count!

I still need to get this Road Boards fixed on the Layout,,,,,I'll try the delete and reinstall method and see what happens....

Thanks for info on run around circle for Hump Yard..

BTW did you get the PM I sent you the other day? No biggy, it'll keep too.

Wish you the very best luck with your test, don't forget to take some Vitamins, your Brain is going in for a hell of workout..........

Hump and Shunting Day in the Yard

Morning All,

Lots to do for Xmas Decos. time is a flying,

So we are in the City here, and tying up one or two Xings for a few minutes as we get ready to sort our Train in the Yard, we had to put another Engine on, as the Ramp is little steep for our Consist Load.

Long ?View here, as we pull thru and reposition, I should have taken the other track and then backed in, as the Conductor is in the Caboose.....OOPs...I'll probably get slapped up side the head, :'( but hey I new at this, never done Hump Yard.......:eek:Experience of course is the best Teacher, and I have a feeling our Conductor has been down this road many a time, it's called Train Handling,,,,,Got to learn sometime!

Xings have dropped as we approach, it's early in the morning so no Traffic yet, but in another hour it will be lots here. Shouldn't take us long to sort, we had our Crew Change at the Office, bottom of this Yard where we came in.

Every City has a little Junk to Sell, this is ours, not bad really, I've seen them go for Blocks and Blocks, like old Auto Parts Yards.

Conductor is getting out of the Caboose now, he doesn't need to ride this down.

And there they go, they cut and free wheeling to first Track on Right thru the preset Switches. The next pictures tonight will show where it stopped in the Yard.

Will pick up this later on.....

Have a good day all and thanks for dropping in!

Last edited:
Hit Miss, and How I lost a couple of Cars!

Good Evening All,

You read the title for today's review, and probably said what sam heck is he talking about, well it's like this, when you think your a know it all like me, and you find out how much you don't know, well it tends to put oneself in a precarious or shall I say a dangerous position.

:p Nufff said?

See this Caboose and 3 Cars, they are headed out this way, and guess what, the dummy engineer didn't do it right, and the cars are traveling way too fast, guess what?

Yup we have runaway's and I hope to the Train God no one gets hurt,:( and all the Crossing Gates work, cause this little 178' foot consist, at 32 Tons is going to go thru town, around the Curve, look on the other side, beautiful forest, and oh they'll stop just past the Bridge over the Lake. Ummm? only about 1.5 miles from where they are supposed to stop, and how do I know all this?......shhhhhhh? Don't tell anyone, but I watched them with movable Camera.......Oh am I in trouble now.....And yes I'll have to send a switcher out there to pick them up and drag them over here where they belong......

Think I'll go have a couple straight up drinks tonight for good measure.......

Now with these cars I had engineer get to the level section, stop the train, uncouple, and gently push at .5 MPH. Lets see how this works out?:hehe:

They are heading thru the double switch throat here, it looks like they are slower than our first ones!

And Voila, did better, kinda :hehe: they went close to the end, but they stopped right at the street Xing.At least the Crossing Gates worked ok.........Guess this is a work in progress.....

And now I got our runaway's corralled and back to the yard.....What a crazy day......My Mother warned me when I was young I could depend on day's like this, looks like she was right.....

:sleep: I think that's enough excitement for one day.

See you tomorrow and I see what I can serve up.......

Lol, looks like you had a fun day there Blue. I did get your pm, unfortunately I don't really have much use for such magazines (I already have my own fairly impressive stack accumulating dust back at the house), and while I do like the magazines from before my time I just don't have much use or space for them. If you don't keep them I'd consider scanning some of it to your computer so if you get to wondering "hmmm, that seemed interesting, think I'll go have another look," you have your copies there to do so with.

As for the runaways with the hump yard, because the hump doesn't have any working retarders, I can't actually slow down the cars once they are over the hump. I heard that kits exist where you can make the hump yards fully functional and I think I'll probably do that here (assuming I can find one). Also might throw in a runaway track for good measure. A good tip though until I can get the system installed, if you right click on one of the Jointed Rail cars and hit view details, in the pop up window it gives you, you should have the option to apply a handbrake. That should stop your cars until I get a better system in place.

Lol, looks like you had a fun day there Blue. I did get your pm, unfortunately I don't really have much use for such magazines (I already have my own fairly impressive stack accumulating dust back at the house), and while I do like the magazines from before my time I just don't have much use or space for them. If you don't keep them I'd consider scanning some of it to your computer so if you get to wondering "hmmm, that seemed interesting, think I'll go have another look," you have your copies there to do so with.

As for the runaways with the hump yard, because the hump doesn't have any working retarders, I can't actually slow down the cars once they are over the hump. I heard that kits exist where you can make the hump yards fully functional and I think I'll probably do that here (assuming I can find one). Also might throw in a runaway track for good measure. A good tip though until I can get the system installed, if you right click on one of the Jointed Rail cars and hit view details, in the pop up window it gives you, you should have the option to apply a handbrake. That should stop your cars until I get a better system in place.

Yes I did have a great time.......Chasing Runaways..........LOL

Cool on the Mags, Good idea on the Scan too.......

Got some ideas for the retarder.....I'll PM u on it.......

Say a prayer for good luck on your finals too.

Thanks for dropping by......

Some issues with T:ANE ?

Hello all,

Sorry I'm in so late with Pics, but had to spend the day at Dentist,,,,no fun of course.

So now to what we have, For some reason I not clear yet, but this particular car will lose it wheels, why I don't know yet........

And I keep getting time outs for Scripts, so if anyone has any Ideas, I would welcome them?

Sending our Caboose minus the conductor down the Hump to Sort.
And we are taking the last car over to the Plastic Factory for Pellet delivery.

This is the end of the Layout and we have a turn around loop here so my train gets to last cars on the end, what a sight for sure, and we have our Red EOT device on for Safety, affectionately known as a "FRED".......

Delivery plastics Plant, and Turnaround Loop downtown.......

Figured I post these too,

So we are continuing to pull our train thru the turn and drop that car off real quick at the plastics factory which is right in the middle of town.

And here is front of Factory, workers are taking a quick break as we pass by. Switch is right around the corner.

If u look right over the left side of this car you can see the workers on their break.......We are just passed the Switch, and will do a quick shunt in and drop off this car.......

Looking down the street you can see us lining for reverse move in to spot the loaded Plastic Pellet Car.

And here we go, as we get ready to uncouple the car......Pull out passed the switch, and then reverse the switch and back the train to the Hump Yard which is 1/4 mile away.......

Here is a over head shop so you can see how this is setup, very excellent use of Tracks by Southern 1581 to allow Industry stop and Turnaround all in close proximity, and Hump Yard close by with escape Tracks strategically placed, makes this a terrific Model RR layout to play on.

;) Just a reminder, this Layout is still WIP with items for improvement and other items to be connected up........

And Mr's Blue is starting to get on the mend from Terrible Winter Cold.....She is a Trooper and I'm lucky person to have her!

Thanks for dropping by folks, hope everyone is having a good week.....

Newcastle Shunt Operations, Loco 90 Day work ordered...

Good evening,

Well today went a lot better than yesterday, no runaways, so now that this part is over, we are taking 2 Locos and putting in the Ready track for when more Shunting is needed. And the other two are going in for 90 Day Check.

And in they go on the restricted Signal.

And into the Locomotive Maintenance Shop.

Lots of Cars came in and they are sorted and ready for departure next day.

Long view shows are current outbound ready cars. looks like we plenty of empties for the mine run too.

Below NS 8003 is bringing in loaded Freight for Shunting.

He has backed the Train around the return loop and is starting to push it into the Hump Hill.......You get a pretty good view of the whole City as we look across the Field. Building on left is the Newcastle Yard Office.

That's all for tonight Folks, Tomorrow I'll try and show you some of the other Industries we have on this route.

Thanks for your support and coming by..........

We visit Heather Feed n Supply at the top of the Hill

Evening all,

CSX #7662 is rounding up some cars for the trip up the spur Ramp, we haven't discussed this yet. But the Heather Feed and Supply sits atop a hill at the of the Yard Turnaround Loops.

Got our consists and will run out the top of the Yard and switch over to the last Track on Left with the Flood Lights.

We r far enough out, will reverse move up the Spur Ramp....

I picked one of our stronger engines to push these loads up the incline, and it works spot on.

Takes a couple of mins to shove up the Spur here.

We made to Heather Feed and Supply, we have three storage tracks to fill with our Loads. Should drop and spot 3 cars next to each side of the Feed Plant, and 2 Cars on the outside Spur.

:( Looks like I have a Rogue SP SD40-2 or similar that didn't get sent back from our temporary Leasing program when we started up the new route. I have him gone by tomorrow morning.........Send him out with the next Freight in the morning.

That's all for tonight, tomorrow will visit some more industry's around this Route.

Thank you for dropping by.

Shoving the Conductors Caboose, and other moves in the Yards

Nice shots Blue! Really enjoying your screenshots, you're doing a great job! Keep it up!

Thank you Sir, and I hope the Folks enjoy your Route as much as I do.......:D

Good Day all, hard to believe it is Sat already, was out with my wonderful Grand Kids last night, Gave the parents a little special time for themselves.....

Ok, so as promised we continue thru our Industry's here, today is a busy day in the Yards and here, we have a ton of Shunting to do, so I won't get it all in this session, you'll see more tonight if all goes well.

Train above on Heather Feed and Supply is finishing the last of Shunting their, I missed this picture some how on previous msg.....:(

Ok he has two cars that go to another spot, so will head down the Ramp here and wait at the Bottom, as we have more Jobs in process, but we are told are loco NS#3293 is over at Purina,, Union Ice Co, and another Manufacture picking up all the empty's and Loads for us, he'll drag into the Yard and then will hookup and pull them to go out tonight. Weather is holding so far, but we r told in a few days another Snow Storm is coming our way, how heavy is it, anyone's guess.

We are going Grab NS #5299 and push the front Blue Caboose out with Conductor and free wheel it to another Spur, Conductor says he will set the Handbrake when it's spotted ok......About 5MPH will be just right.......

An here he goes, we already got the switches set for him...........You can't see him, he is on the back getting ready to set the Wheel Brake...

Ok, Conductor and Caboose slow roll came out perfect, now we are going to switch a few tracks and do some yard Shunting.......Get everything Staged and ready for departure.

Meanwhile #NS 3393 moving some Bromine Chem Cars(3) over to Spur outside Manufactures Plant here. Just Behind liberty Proprane Facility. Yup you got that right, no smoking around those big tankls, or everyone goes booomm.......!

If you look down the Tracks, we have lots of Cars to move, shunt and drag out to the Main Yard for CSX #7662 sitting down on the Ramp from Heather Feed and Supply.....There having some lunch while we get the Loads over here corralled up for them. :hehe: Will also lasso the SP SD40 out at the back of the Yard turnaround Tracks... You saw him in our picture today, he just act as extra power for CSX #7662 on his run out today.

Well that's all for now, I need to get the Rest of XMAS lights finished before Xmas catches up with me.

Have a great day all, and stay safe out in your travels.........Thanks for visiting today.

Shunting continues and Vegetation Train pressed into service today!

Evening all,

Our very busy day continues on the Newcastle Route, as we shove a Golden West Service Boxcar into trans load building facility..Slow and steady is the key here, as there is just enough room for two of these inside the Facility.

And now to the Vegetation Sprayer, finally learned how to adjust the Sprayers........And those weeds on the Tracks are going to get a healthy dose of weed deterrent.

We are backing out of our Storage Track and started spraying those varments! :hehe:

We cleared the Yard Tracks and here we go.......

Oh, and since it later in the Afternoon, a bit dark, well , we have contingency for that too, ;) it's called powerful overhead lighting, pretty keen HUH. And no we wont run out of Weed Spray either, we have plenty on board and can handle quite a large area in not much time, other than Delays if we get put in a siding for opposing traffic, and hey, that's just part of our daily routine, get the job done, and done safely and done right, and stay out of the way of Revenue Trains, and it can be done, because our Crews are well trained.

We are going past the power plant and will take the X Crossover Switch to main Track #2 where will hold for a passing train, then continue on the spray abatement process.

That's it for now, lots more to show and tell for tomorrow.

:) Night folks and have a blessed Sunday.

Nice shots Blue! Loving the work you're doing. Dave released his GP15 today which means you'll have a proper NCNO switcher before too long. If I may make a suggestion, one of the big things about the NCNO RR as I came up with it was coal hauling and unit coal trains, mainly with SD40-2's such as 3393 seen above, and the NS C30-7's that you have shown as well, although the SD40 is my preferred choice, obviously your mileage may vary. I was thinking maybe take a coal drag from New Castle (the city), past the Yard out to Crownhart Coal, loading it, and then proceeding to the power plant. If you're feeling up to it, that's something I'd like to see sometime in the future, perhaps whenever you've finished up with our current trains in the story line. 3393 is in for a fun time switching all of those industries at Heather.

Thanks for the good news on Switcher, and I have your Manifest Hot Shot Coal Special in the Q..........Will make it happen......Your Railroad is going to be busy that's for sure! Have a good weekend, and we are rooting for you for good scores on your Finals too.

Manifest Coal Hotshot in Town, and Police looking for Bank Burglars today!

Late braking news just now, Corridor Mgr advising due to the Snow Storm earlier this week, our power plant needs more Coal, they didn't realize how low there reserves were till they took inventory today, so there asking us to rush a load of Coal to them ASAP, they only have a couple of days worth, it was so cold, they burned more coal to generate power for heating in the city.....Meanwhile we have bank burglars running around, and I hear the Cops might stop our Coal Train to see if they stowaways on the Cars, just great timing when we are in a pinch to get those much needed supplies to the Plant......That's OK, our crews will be on the lookout for those Bad Boys.....We carry a few special things on the Train too! ;)

We have our empties, about 27 was all we had for now, and will get underway here and head out to Crowhart Mining Co.......We can make it happen, that's what RR's do.....

This red light fortunately is for opposing traffic as we round a tight curve at 5 MPH.....Don't want to pull any empties off the rail today..

This is the back of our train with DPU (distributed power by Radio) given us a gentle push and keep the slack just right on the consist.

NS #3331 and NS #3381 is are 2 on the Lead end with NS #8006 pushing on the rear.......

Ok, here is the Cops, they said we don't need to stop, just go slow, and they are watching for Trespasser Bandits on our train, they also have snipers on the Roof Tops too, apparently these are Bank Robbers and they got away with the Dough from one of our local Banks, fortunately, no one got shot........

That's all I can give you for now, Our Crew is cooperating and watching out to, we have alerted our RR Police, and the Yard to be on the lookout too, as we pull by in few minutes...

That's all I have for now.......

Will continue the Story tomorrow..

Did they find the Bank Burglars yet........Manifest NS#3331 inches to thru the City

Well what a day it is on this RR!

Below the Officer is getting additional info while we wait a minute, apparently, they might have found the Robbers in an alley, somewhere close to here. So we are now instructed to pull our Train to the next Signal for further directions. Looks like we are going to have an unscheduled delay, and the Coal Clock is a ticking.

:hehe:pretty interesting train, when you see the back pushing as your pulling, hey don't laugh, it works and it's paid for to.

We are continuing downtown and headed to the Signal about 1/2 mile up. We also here another Train is coming into the Yard at the bottom, so will need to inch up once we get clearance from the Police.

Ok...Are dispatch just got a call from the Police, they got the Suspects in custody, they flushed them out ....Good news for us, we only lost 15 mins here why talking to the Officer.

We are checking our rear engine and equipment all is working good.

NS #3331 continues pulling the cars slowly thru the loop. And Weather so far is great for us!

As we head down towards the Signal ahead, we pass Santa Fe Caboose #811 who is not in use at the moment.

That's it for now, will see what happens next as we make our Trek to the Mine for loading.

:wave: Have a great day and thanks for dropping in folks,,,,Enjoy the ride here.

Cops said the Coast is clear......Now lets get moving, before we lose Power

Evening again,

Well were passing a lonely Caboose here, out in the cold air all by himself and nobody to play with, certainly not fair, but will have someone grab him up for a run back to the Yards. In the mean time we need to get going to the Mine plant!

Wow does our Coal Manifest stretch back a ways.......We tied up a lot of intersections with the Robbery in Progress call.

Passing a huge Tree sleeping till spring as we head down Main #1 to the next switch where will wait for North Bound Train coming into the Yards.

Almost to the next switch and you can see the whole Train here looking very nice, I think you'll agree.

It took me about 5-10 tries to get that Cam where I wanted it, so here is another side of the Train, just a different perspective.

Ok, now we switch places and continue following our Vegetation Train #2502 as it leaves the Yard to do it's spraying run, all the way to the next Yard. I'll post more pictures tonight.......Thanks

Passing the power Plant and X crossings are working well, plus I got our Yarn uninstalled and reinstalled, now it displays correctly, no more Pink Green imagery........Whats the word they use, Growing pains...LOL

We Scissored over from Main #1 to Main #2 and hold, while our Locals grab the Loads and empties out of Union Ice, Liberty Propane, Golden Grains Mill, and Caterpillar Plant and probably the Corn Sweetener facility too if we can pull it off.......Were doing all these moves so tracks can be clear enough for hotshot Coal Manifest scheduled in tomorrow morning.

We pulled up here to clear the Scissor Puzzle and then dispatcher will set switches for Straight. Will clear the intersection, hope no drivers try to bust thru here. I'd hate to see an incident happen, I'm keeping my fingers crossed, or I pull the across the rest of this crossing.

Thought I would show you how we set the spray patterns on our Vegetation Train. And I believe you can set the broad sprayers at any angle for clearance issues you might run into.

Ok, now we have all the shots in for tonight........See you tomorrow and I wish all a good week ahead.

Thanks for visiting us today..........

Last edited:
Back