who's still around from the old days?

Im still around, mostly lurking, enjoy seeing the creativity being displayed. Hopefully will get back to route building at some point in time, just not motivated to do so at the moment.

Cheers,
John

I'm still around as you most of you know. HA! Being retired since 2012 means I have way more time on my hands for Trainzing than before. I ended up with TRS2004 because I bought the PaintShed for MSTS and saw the link on the box to Auran.com. I checked out the link and saw the stuff that was going on. I tried the demo back in 2002, but the program kept crashing on my computer. I had a really lousy ATI 8500 video card that didn't like much of anything, and it definitely didn't like Trainz. I kept following and lurking and finally I saw the sale announced and watched for it to appear in the stores. It so happened that I upgraded to an early NVidia card and was able to run the demo without issues. Then TRS2004 was released just after Christmas in 2003. I picked up my copy of TRS2004 at CompUSA a day or two after Christmas. After poking around a bit, I started my own route and that route is still here today, although it's been recently retired due to the intervening years, crashes, mistakes, upgrades, and unnoticed things getting the better of it.

So much has happened to all of us, yet for many of us Trainz is that go-to place when times are rough. It's a nice way, most of the time, to avoid the evils of everyday life and do something with our own little world. It was Trainz that got me through and helped me deal with my own ongoing health issues that lead to my retirement as well as the untimely death of my sister in 2017, and the expected, but still shocking death of my mum in December 2018. When working on my now retired route, I would think back to those better times when for me things were much better. Certain areas on the route brought back the memories as if these areas were only done yesterday.

Sadly we lost Cee Bee a few years ago as well the great Ben Dorsey, Fat Controller and many others. It's those intervening years and life that gets in the way and we wish these gents were still here as well.

John, if you mention Cee Bee, I remember, when I was playing Railroad Tycoon 2 (RRT 2), Cee Bee was one of the most famous creators of maps for RRT 2. And suddenly he left the community for an obscure program, called Trainz.

My first Trainz-Version was TRS2004 too.

Regards
Swordfish

John, if you mention Cee Bee, I remember, when I was playing Railroad Tycoon 2 (RRT 2), Cee Bee was one of the most famous creators of maps for RRT 2. And suddenly he left the community for an obscure program, called Trainz.

My first Trainz-Version was TRS2004 too.

Regards
Swordfish

Wow, I didn't know that. I used to play that program a lot but didn't download any maps.

I fumbled with Trainz for quite a few years before realising that the 'Forum' actually existed with access to a community of helpful people who perhaps couldn't always resolve the mess I had created but gave me the encouragement to keep trying to the extent that now on occasions I get the opportunity to help others.

Like many I have never finished a route either, perhaps you are not actually meant to or for the majority it was only ever meant to be an aspiration, but I have been merging and migrating bits and pieces since TRS2009 to create what I am working on now which likewise I cannot see an end to. Does it matter, probable not, but even with all the frustrations, ups and downs and so forth, its been an enjoyable journey which I hope to stick with for a few more years to come. Thank you all for the company along the way. Peter

Back