First reviews of the GTX 1070 out now...

PC_Ace

Hauling Heavy Pixels
For those of you with a morbid interest in NVidia graphics processing units, here's a set of hot-off-the-press GPU reviews to salivate about:

http://videocardz.com/60574/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-reviews

Of immediate interest is the fact that many of the reviewers have found that the new Pascal-based GTX 1070 blows away both the old Titan X as well as the GTX 980Ti that were top-tier of the last generation of Maxwell cards in terms of performance in games and undercuts their prices significantly.

Seen any indication of availability (and prices)?

Also - what's the latest on the GTX 1080?

Ben

"unobtanium - sir"
GTX 1080s are allegedly out and available now - but apparently scarce as hens' teeth at the moment:

http://techreport.com/news/30242/geforce-gtx-1080-availability-check-it-made-of-unobtanium-sir

GTX 1070 units won't be available until the official launch date of June 10th - that's for the NVidia 'Founder's Edition' and probably shortly afterwards, some of the lower-priced (but in some cases, better performing) partner vendors' versions (Asus, MSI, EVGA, Gigabyte, Zotac, etc.) MSRP is US$379, with the Founder's Edition 50 bucks more.

Here's a new review of the GTX 1070 from PC Gamer for those of you who want affordable GTX 980Ti/ Titan X-like performance:

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-geforce-gtx-1070-review/

I'm going to wait for a month or two to see which of the 3rd party cooling solutions eke out the best performance from this remarkable Pascal-flavoured silicon and then make a judicious choice in the cool light of day then...

In the meantime, I'm encouraged by the reports coming in from reviewers about the Overclocking performance of some of these rigs.
Here's one from the Overclocker's Club relating to the 1070:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/nvidia_geforcegtx_1070_overclocking/

Last edited:
Thanks for the links.

So only the Pandorans have them, :hehe:.

Hopefully when I'm ready to buy my new computer (in about 3-1/2 months) GTX1080 availability will be a bit better. Definitely worth the wait (if my old computer can hang together long enough).

One thing I do wonder about is how soon will computer companies (like Alienware) start offering them with new machines.

Ben

Last edited:
Here's the latest review of the GTX 1070 from Ars Technica UK:
http://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2016/06/nvidia-gtx-1070-review/

Their verdict so far?
"If you want the absolute best performance in graphics cards, you buy a GTX 1080. If you want the best performance at a slightly more reasonable price, you buy the GTX 1070. It is, at this point, a complete no brainer."

And here's one from OC3D for the Founder's Edition of the GTX 1070:
http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/nvidia_gtx_1070_founder_edition_review/1

Last edited:
Hopefully when I'm ready to buy my new computer (in about 3-1/2 months) GTX1080 availability will be a bit better. Definitely worth the wait (if my old computer can hang together long enough).

One thing I do wonder about is how soon will computer companies (like Alienware) start offering them with new machines.

Ben

Probably when they have been around long enough for any as of yet unknown faults to occur in the hands of the public and when versions other than the founders are in the market place.

I've seen a couple of reviews where the cooling and fan noise in the 1080 founders editions are being criticised and I doubt will be a problem when the likes of EVGA, ASUS, Zotac etc start producing their own cooling systems.
Seem to be issues with fan speeds rapidly changing up and down on 1080 founders according to the Nvidia forums.

1080 user feedback thread here, worth a look https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/938624/geforce-1000-series/user-feedback-thread-gtx-1080-/

I tend to operate on a been out at least 6 months to a year before upgrading so any problems have been found and dealt with.

Meanwhile I'll stick with my overclocked 980TI which comfortably handles TANE on Max settings without going into melt down.

I just noticed Alienware is offering the Area-51 desktop with 1 or 2 GTX 1080's (that didn't take long). Also a 10 core processor.

Ben

Something else interesting is the change in shipping.

4 or 5 days ago it was "ships in 3 to 5 days". Today is sez "ships in 30 to 34 days". Guess everyone was waiting on the Pascal GPU's before buying a new computer and Alienware has been swamped. :hehe:

Ben

That Alienware desktop would be a beast with 2 1080s in SLI.
Should run pretty much any of the latest games at their highest settings at 4K resolution and upwards.
Tests show even a single GTX 1080 is pretty competent at 4k in most titles.

The Area-51 is designed for up to 3 GPU's so three 1080's along with 64Gb of RAM (which it can have), and the new 10 core processor should produce a "beast of beasts" for the rich of rich.:hehe:

I notice they have brought back the Aurora desktop (what I have). It sort of disappeared from their advertising when the Area-51 was introduced but has suddenly re-appeared and is offered with the 1080 as well.

Ben

Problem with 3 GPU's is the Nvidia will not support any thing above 2 cards that was announced with the release of the 1080, any GPU's above 2 actually slows the SLI down, gaining you no benefit from more than 2 cards. Has Alienware started making desktops last I knew it was nothing but laptops. The x99 boards from MSI also allow up to 128 Gig of Ram on the mother board even though the bios will not show more than 127 Gig. I am waiting to get a 1080 card once they are available again, want to see the correction across 3 monitors here and the in game camera sounds really interesting.

Last edited:
Alienware were making Desktops for years from 1997 when they changed the company name from something else to Alienware, way before Dell took them over and before they started making laptops in 2000 or thereabouts.

One or two 1080's is all they offer but they do offer three 980Ti's or three Titan GPU's with the Area-51.
2 is my limit (hic).:hehe:

Ben

Yeah but I cannot see the point of even considering the 980ti or Titan when something so much better is available, just the usual release shortage...

The Pascal Family of video cards has grown again to include the more affordable - but still potent - GTX 1060 which is out already (much faster in the cycle than its predecessor, the GTX 960 appeared).
Here are the first independent reviews:

http://videocardz.com/62364/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-reviews

Again, I'd recommend waiting until the 3rd party versions are abundantly available in the channel before buying.
There's still product scarcity and rampant price-gouging happening out there right now for GTX 1080s, 1070s and this new wee brother!

And I have obtained a 1080 Founders Edition here, only had to drive 800 miles to get it, but we were in the area anyway. Redoing drives here so have not yet ran TANE with the new card, everything else runs like a champ. Fan sound is not that bad... I don't overclock ever if I need more power I upgrade. MSI has announced a 1080 Sea Hawk, with includes a Corsair Liquid Cooling unit and is priced around 800+. The cards that are coming out are all at the price NVidia set for theirs, so no price break, they are milking us as much as they can.

KTOutlaw - Congratulations! Will be interested to hear your thoughts and evaluation after you've been running T:ANE on that card for a while. :)
Even though it is the Founders' Edition card, it has been lauded by most independent reviewers and compares very favourably to just about any other gaming card (other than a 1080).

One cool thing about the GTX 1080 FE - it suits SLI well, because the fans exhaust most of the heat out of your case, instead of into the case for the rest of your cooling system to deal with.

What card were you running before the replacement?

Yup - they sure are milking all the early adopters. Typical! It will last as long as they remain scarce in the channel...

Last edited:
Back