How to make the perfect ascent and a decent with tracks?

susanaes

NYCTA Developer
Ok this may be a weird question and i don't know if this is in the right place but does anyone know how to make the perfect ascent and a decent with tracks i can never seem to get them to be perfect or straighten out they always dip in the middle or have hover to the point where they bend if anyone could help that be awesome.

There's a YouTube video here that may help you. You must remember to apply the gradient to each track spline. If you're trying to be perfectly accurate it may take a bit of trial and error. Don't click on 'Smooth Spline Height' until you are satisfied with the result.

Ok this may be a weird question and i don't know if this is in the right place but does anyone know how to make the perfect ascent and a decent with tracks i can never seem to get them to be perfect or straighten out they always dip in the middle or have hover to the point where they bend if anyone could help that be awesome.

susanaes, It's not a weird question, and there are a number of ways to get good inclines on your layout. However this is the way I do it.

Firstly, I generally use the 'Ruler' tool to measure the length of the terrain that you wish to lay your track. Then I determine the particular height that I need to achieve. Say for example over 1000 meters distance you may wish to raise the level by 5 meters.
Raise one end of the ruler to the height you require. Then lay a piece of track beside it and using the height adjustment tool just click on one spline point. This anchors it and makes it rigid. Then raise one end to the desired height.

At this stage, you may wish to include bends at certain points. If so, place a spline point on your track at the start of your bend and another at the point where it may bend again. Move and position your track spline points to exactly where you want your track to lay. Then using the Terrain Levelling Tool click your track between all the splines points and the terrain will rise to meet it.

The Ruler Tool can then be deleted.

Cheers, Roy3b3

Fix the spline point will stop the track from following the terrain and level out the track between spline points. You can use the gradient tool to set the gradient of your track. If climbing set the tool to say 2.00 and click on the bottom part of the track just after a spline point. The track will then rise to the next spline point, do the same for the next section and so on. You can alter the rise of each section by entering a new number. If you are going down then use a negative number and click at the higher end of the section. Once you have set your track you can then use the terrain level tool to set the ground level beneath the track.

There's a YouTube video here that may help you. You must remember to apply the gradient to each track spline. If you're trying to be perfectly accurate it may take a bit of trial and error. Don't click on 'Smooth Spline Height' until you are satisfied with the result.
Everything else but his opening statement is correct. If you were to type 1.50 into the gradient box you will get a 1.5% gradient which is 1 in 75.
cheers
Graeme

Back