For those using Safari on Mac OS/Windows - please read (image posting related)

shaneturner12

Tutorial Creator
Moderators - if this is in the wrong place, please put it in the right place.

Hi Trainzers,

I have become aware of an issue that involves the Mac version of Safari (and possibly the Windows version as well), and it relates to image posting.

The issue is specific to images that are copied and pasted directly into a post/thread rather than uploaded using the standard methods. I'm not sure if copying an image directly from another site also has the same effect though.

With Safari on Mac OS and possibly Windows as well the effect is that a WebKit image is created which includes fake-url as part of the address. Unfortunately to the best of my knowledge other browsers cannot understand this type of address/image as it is specific to Safari (possibly even specific to the Mac version(.

The result to others who aren't using Safari is that the image appears as a small box - the same one that appears when an image does not exist. Also, when attempting to view the image in any other browser an error happens that the image cannot be found.

Can I respectfully suggest to those using Safari on Mac OS (and possibly the Windows version) to use the standard upload method that other browsers use if possible, which doesn't have this particular issue.

I do not wish to cause any offense with this post but I do wish to assist those who inadvertently fall into this trap.

Shane

Safari is just our default browser that's stuck here forever, it's just the OSX version of IE (is it 'Edge', now?). Firefox takes my preference, Chrome and Safari are completely screwed because despite having adblockers, they are riddled with ads and disaster. Probably goes for the same on new versions of Firefox, but I'm on v28, and the new is like, v48 or something like that. Interesting error with this one regardless, I've never seen it before. Odd.

Cheers,
SM

Back