San Marino Railway?

nathanmallard

Hi,
I see that in Ing4Trainz, there are several bits of San Marino Railway-related content, namely some rolling stock, assorted buildings and a tunnel. The rolling stock is quite interesting, and as they are the closest you can get in Trainz to Manx Electric Railway and Snaefell rolling stock I was thinking of doing some sort of Manx-based route. However, I cannot find any suitable catenary. I've seen some on screenshots, is it on the DLS? Secondly, are they any plans to do a prototypical SMR-based route? It would certainly be an interesting line to drive on from what little photographic evidence is available, San Marino is a very pretty country.

Hi,
I see that in Ing4Trainz, there are several bits of San Marino Railway-related content,

<snip>
<snip>

from what little photographic evidence is available, San Marino is a very pretty country.

You know what I think the next big thing is?

Flying drones over lifted/dismantled railway formations to get evidence of what the railway looked like / might have looked like ...

Can't we do that anyway with Google Earth?
When I said "what little photographic evidence is available" I meant of the railway, not of San Marino!

Hi nathanmallard,
If you are still thinking about doing the San Marino - Rimini railway then there is a basic plan of the route at:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Rimini–San_Marino_railway
If you superimpose this over a suitable map or satellite view you should be fairly close to the original.
I modelled various items of the SMR rolling stock and some of the buildings at the request of an Italian Trainzer. At the moment I am upgrading my models to work OK on T:ANE SP2 after a year-long absence from model making. I also have to redo my website as my site making programme has been discontinued and I have to do everything again, including zillions of links.
For the SMR I worked from a series of outline plans plus photos (old and current) of the stations and tunnels so you should certainly be able to capture the spirit of the old line. Incidentally, my dad's regiment was one of those that captured San Marino in 1944 - small world.
On the Manx Electric etc., if you have good scale plans and photos then I am always on the lookout for new projects to model - no guarantee on when they'd be done, but they'd certainly be on the list. That includes the catenary posts of course.
Steve

Hi Vern,
Yes it is quite an amazing little line. There are at least two spirals to gain height and several reverse curves, not exactly as the crow flies!
You're right about the tunnels, both on the SMR and in Trainz. I have started changing my own models to a different approach, basically the one used by Andi06 years back. The tunnel entrance becomes a piece of set-track and you need to use the dighole to cut into the terrain. The tunnel itself is a standard track model which will conform to however many or few spline points you use. The key about this approach is that it separates the tunnel itself from the entrance which, I think, is what causes that dreadful writhing about in kind:tunnel. I can't bear it. I read a warning somewhere that dighole tends to push up the PC requirements, or rather uses more memory, but frankly I haven't noticed any difference. Mine is an Intel i5 (3.4 Ghz), 8Gig RAM, 64-bit Win10, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745, so fairly run of the mill.
I have modelled two tunnel entrances for the San Marino line. At the moment they are set as kind:tunnel, but I will be converting them to the set-track/dighole approach. This should make them much easier for tunnelling into the mountain at San Marino.
Incidentally, most of the tunnels are lateral to the mountain face. That is, they run inside the mountain parallel to the outside, not at right angles to it as in most tunnels. Part of the tunnel route has 'windows' looking out over the mountainside from the train and I haven't worked out how to replicate these in Trainz.
It may be a month or two before I have got my website sorted and updates, along with all the models (I am only going to release them for T:ANE SP2 from now on), but the existing cdps should be fine as I haven't encountered any problems with loading old models into T:ANE.
Good luck!
Steve

On the Manx Electric etc., if you have good scale plans and photos then I am always on the lookout for new projects to model - no guarantee on when they'd be done, but they'd certainly be on the list. That includes the catenary posts of course.
Steve
Unfortunately no scale plans of the MER but I have got some for the adjacent Snaefell Mountain Railway as well as dimensions for the Manx cars, and plenty of pictures, inside and out. I might have a crack at doing a basic scale drawing myself, I'm no draughtsman but it can't be too difficult...

Very reasonably priced- I think I'll be having it! The price is very good compared to some 'niche-subject' books. Its worth pointing out for anyone who hasn't been, the Manx Electric is an absolute scenic wonder and a must do if you are ever on the island. I did put up some photos in the Prototype Talk section of my trip there in 2015.

Truly awesome!
I wish they had done the UK as well. I can see our area before they built our house.
Thanks John.

You're welcome Mick. I can't remember how I came across this website, but it sure is addicting. I too find myself look at old places I grew up and lived in. It's sad too to also see some of the railroad lines that are no longer here, or pared down to nothing compared to what was once there.

I agree it would be nice if they covered other places as well as the US.

tramz.png

I have hundreds of MER pictures on my phone that I have taken including ones from the workshop tour
I can travel on the trams for free with my travel card
I also made some content but then got lazy... not made any for a while

Sorry to bump but FAO Steve, your rolling stock items B71 and BD62 are coming up with missing dependency errors - shown as kuid:16985:50294 not known.

Any advice would be appreciated?

Per the previous discussion on overhead views of old lines, Google Maps has a feature to see older versions of areas. I was able to go back to 1989 and see some mill sites when they were in operation with active train operations....

Hi Vern,
That is the San Marino carriage bogey. Hmmm, it should be in the cdp of those two. I will redo the cdp and send it to my website. Will post again when it happens.
Steve

The cdp should have kuid2:169585:50294:1, I must have had to do an update for TANE, probably build number or something like that. It should be in the single cdp for the two carriages, but I will send it to my sebsite again.
Steve

OK, I have just redone the cdp with the updated bogey. I'll need to check the configs for the two carriages, but if you have a quick look at them they may have the original version listed in the dependecies listing at the bottom. I'll check them tomorrow, off out now :)
Steve

Back