Firefox Download Station Problem (Steam Version Trainz 2012)

PHENICUS

This question is in reference to Download Station Helper for Trainz 12.

I am running Firefox 45.0.2 and when I select DOWNLOAD HELPER (download using download helper) in the Trainz Download Station it takes me to a
new page:

"trainz://install/<KUID2:xxxxxx:xxxx:x>" With x being the KUID2 number of the item I am trying to download.

This page gives the following message:

"The address wasn't understood

Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because one of the following protocols (trainz) isn't associated with any program or is not allowed in this context.

You might need to install other software to open this address."

How can I get Firefox to recognize this?

I am running 64 bit Windows 10 with the Steam Version of Trainz 12.

Thank you in advance for specific step by step help.

I found the solution that worked for me.

First of all thanks to clam1952 who was the writer for this link http://forum.british-trainz.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=533. I had to make some modifications because of the "steam" file location but it worked well.

I opened "notepad" but any text editor will work.

I entered the following (everything between the dashed lines but not including the dashed lines):

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Trainz]
@="URL: Trainz Protocol"
"URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Trainz\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Trainz\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Trainz\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\TS2012\\bin\\contentmanager.exe\" \"%1\""

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*NOTE* For some reason there is a space being placed between the "t" and the "e" in the word "contentmanager.exe" in the above code. It seems to be an issue with this forum because I have not been able to remove that space by editing my post. You would remove that space when you enter this text into your text editor.

Please note that the text in red is my path to the "contentmanager.exe" file. You would set that path to whatever location your contentmanager.exe is in. Also it is important to note that the backslashes in the "red" area must be doubled up. This “red” highlighted text is for visual purposes only. You do not need to make that path red when you enter it in ;)

After you have entered the text into your text editor save it as a .reg file. In notepad that was done by “File” in the upper left menu bar, then “Save As”, then select the location you want to save (I used desktop as the location because it is easy to find and you will only need this file once and then it can be deleted), then at the bottom change the “Save as type” dropdown to “All files (*.*), and above that name it “trainz.reg” (without the quotations). Now hit “Save” at the bottom of that window.

After you have saved you can close your text editor.

Now go to your desktop (or wherever you saved the “trainz.reg”) and locate the trainz.reg file. Double click “trainz.reg” and follow the prompts. You will get a notification that the registry has been updated.

Now go to the Auran Download Station web site https://www.auran.com/DLS/ and sign in (if it is not set up to do that for you automatically). Select an item for the Download Station and then select the “download page” link below the item image. A box will open with a “Download Helper” button and a “Download FTP” button. Select the “Download Helper” button. A dialog box will open to guide you to associating this protocol with the contentmanager.exe file. Follow the prompts to that file location on your computer (the path you used in “red” while creating your trainz.reg file (without the double backslashes). I believe there is a tick box to the effect of always associate with this application. You would check that tick box. Follow the rest of the prompts to accept and your item will open in contentmanager.exe.

Now your browser is set to always open those items in the contenetmanager.exe.

I hope this helps, and again thank you to clam1952.

Last edited:
There are three last steps that I had to take for Firefox to work fully. Chrome and ie11 each only required the first two steps to work properly.

1) In ContentManager.exe I had to go to File, Settings, Internet and select "Use Internet Explorer Settings"

2) In "Windows File Explorer" (Windows 10) I navigated to the "contentmanger.exe" and right clicked on it. Then I selected "Properties" which is all the way at the bottom of the list. Next I selected the "Compatability" Tab. After that I checked the "Run this program as Administrator" tick box and followed the prompts to accept.

3) In Firefox Open Menu (three gray line icon in upper right), options, applications, highlight "trainz" in the "content" field and then change the "Action" from "Use ContentManager" (with content manager icon) to "Use ContentManager (Default)" (with a generic type icon).

Blessings

Last edited:
Ok, so installed the follwing as a .reg file using regedit.exe and that seem to have done the trick, FF now offers the opption to open with TANE and the Asset Download dialog pops up.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Trainz]
@="URL: Trainz Protocol"
"URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Trainz\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Trainz\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Trainz\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\N3V Games\\Trainz A New Era\\TANE.EXE" \"%1\""

Back