North East England - Steam Days Screenshots - Large Screenshots Possible

Excursion times at Reedsmouth

Northeast England during the steam era. Here on my Reedsmouth layout is depicted a late 1920s excursion train from Tyneside to the Scottish borders leaving Reedsmouth on a northbound service. Maybe it is a church outing to Melrose to see the Abbey. Two former TW Worsdell NER C Class 0-6-0s, classed as J21 by the LNER are hauling a rake of 52 ft ex-NER ordinary clerestory roof coaches built around 1900. The presence of a Lavatory Van Composite with two First Class compartments would have been an unexpected spot of luxury. Both J21s, No 1075 and 147 are superheated with the longer smokebox and have Westinghouse brake for passenger and fitted goods work. No. 1075 has the new economy-measure unlined black livery with cabside number while sister No. 147 still retains both the lined red black livery and the numbered tender originally applied post-grouping.

July 2017 - photobucket link switched to Imgur.

Last edited:
Sentinel Steam railcar on trial run on the Wansbeck line

Northeast England during the steam era. Here on my Reedsmouth layout is depicted the Wansbeck branch line approach to the station. An LNER diagram 97 Sentinel Steam Railcar, No. 2261 "Diligence" is on a trial run from Morpeth, calling at Scots Gap and Woodburn en-route. Also included is a cab view of the station approach showing the 45ft turntable, the Wickham permanent way trolley and behind it Reedsmouth's grounded coach body, which was used as a store. The station building was a large water tank with the station office on the lower floor. The LNER never actually used either the Sentinel or Clayton steam railcars on the Wansbeck or Border Counties lines. On the Wansbeck branch the single brake third coach with three compartments providing thirty seats was adequate for most weekday trains but it was probably too expensive to provide a new railcar with around twice that seating capacity on a service which only ran three or four return journeys daily.

July 2017 - Photobucket links switched to Imgur.

Last edited:
The "Yorkshire" at work in Northumberland

Northeast England during the steam era. On my Reedsmouth layout, depicting the late 1920s LNER D49 4-4-0 No. 234 "Yorkshire" has a trailing load of four Gresley bogie gangway teak coaches for a service between Hawick and Newcastle via the Border Counties Railway. In screenshot 1, heading south out of Reedsmouth, "Yorkshire" passes J24 0-6-0 No. 1854 standing on the yard headshunt. In screenshot 2 the 4-4-0 approaches Countess Park with the River North tyne and Reedsmouth in the background.

July 2017 - photobucket links switched to imgur.

Last edited:
Waiting to cross the ECML at Darlington circa 1920

Northeast England during the steam era. Here is a depiction of Darlington around 1920 at the Stockton & Darlington crossing, where the original S&D line was crossed by the East Coast Main Line. One of TW Worsdell's C Class 0-6-0s No. 1564 on an iron ore train waits for signals. The train consists of diagram S3 30 Ton steel hoppers fitted with antifriction gear (the discs visible over the axle boxes). This gear was removed from the 30 Ton iron ore hoppers and 21T diagram P8 wooden coal hoppers by the grouping due to coal dust and ore dust fouling the gear, leading to heavy maintenance costs. The C Class (LNER J21) is superheated with the longer smokebox and fitted with westinghouse brake. The diagram S3 hoppers were fitted so higher speeds could be attained hauling loaded ore trains from the cleveland hills to Whitehaven via the Stainmore line through Barnard Castle and Kirby Stephen. The iron viaducts such as Belah on the Stainmore line had weight restrictions, excluding locomotives such as the S2 and S3 4-6-0 classes. A raven Z Class 4-4-2 Atlantic (LNER C7) heads south on the main line, overtaking a Raven S2 4-6-0 (LNER B15) on a fitted van train, while an E1 Class 0-6-0T (LNER J72) stands in the sidings. This is the County Durham section of the TS12 built-in route Kings Cross to Newcastle. I have rolled back this section to the steam era for my personal use.

July 2017 - photobucket link switched to imgur.

Last edited:
NER Tennant 1463 Class 2-4-0 On the S&D South to West chord at Darlington

Northeast England during the steam era. Circa 1920 on the south to west chord by the Stockton & Darlington crossing of the East Coast Main Line, I have depicted a veteran NER Tennant 1463 Class 2-4-0 rostered to haul a passenger train to the NER's junction with the LNWR's West Coast Main Line at Tebay. The "Tennant" is passing the fitted and superheated T.W. Worsdell C Class 0-6-0 on the iron ore train to Whitehaven while a W. Worsdell N Class 0-6-2T heads east with a short coking coal working. In the background a W. Worsdell P Class 0-6-0 goods locomotive stands on the west to north chord as a T.W. Worsdell E Class 0-6-0T shunts the factory siding. The "Tennant" dates back to 1885, the E Class to 1886, the C Class to 1891, and the N Class to 1893. The P Class 0-6-0 is the young whippersnapper, only being 26 years of age in 1920! It is easy to forget that before nationalisation Railway companies expected long lives from their locomotives and in many instances had that expectation thoroughly fulfilled. The route is the County Durham section of the TS12 built-in Kings Cross to Newcastle route which I have cropped and rolled back to the steam era. I have done a considerable amount of track laying in the Darlington area to roll back the route and it is still ongoing. I am hard at work on the rail-connected factory complexes in the sector by the west to north chord. There are literally miles of trackwork to place, much of which is of a tight radius. I am grateful to all those content creators who have taken the time to create factory buildings which can be directly used or adapted to represent the heavy industrial flavour of the region during this era. Next up on my worklist for the Darlington area will be North Road station, Hopetown Goods Depot, the NER Darlington workshops, Stooperdale works and the junction for the Bishop Auckland and Barnard Castle lines.

Last edited:
Thanks SuperSpeedMaglev. When I originally started my NW Durham route, it was with an LNER/BR setting. I have gradually become interested in the pre-grouping NER era. My researching has since discovered that the NER altered its livery circa 1917, so I have ended up with several locomotives which have the 1917 - 1922 livery while others have the 1911 - 1917 style of livery. Roughly, that largely translates as NORTH EASTERN on tenders with large brass number plates on cab sides/splashers for pre-1917 and N E on tenders with number between the letters for 1917 - 1922. Express passenger locomotives such as the V/Z Class Atlantics had the NER crest between NORTH and EASTERN but the older 1463 2-4-0 class only ever got N E R on their tenders. Luckily for me I can "wing it" with running a pre-1917 livery as late as 1921/22 as repainting was always a process rather than an event. Locomotives could easily take two to three years to make it to the workshop for a repaint while coaching stock could take three to five years to get one. In the case of older locomotives and coaching stock thought to be close to disposal it just would not get the repainting.

Cleveland Street level crossing during the 1930s

Northeast England during the steam era. Here at Cleveland Street crossing in Albert Hill in the 1930s. Just north of Darlington and on the north side of the Stockton & Darlington line, a Barclay 0-4-0PT brings a short load across the level crossing in to the Darlington Forge complex as a long-boilered 0-6-0ST waits to cross. With four lines crossing the road I expect that it was a road traffic bottleneck. This is a work in progress.

Last edited:
What do the "S" and "P" in the locomotive designations mean? I've seen this fairly often in UK engines designations and I am wondering what they mean.

It is referring to the type of tank engine in the picture above so P means Pannier Tank and S means Saddle tank and since there were many different designs you needed to differentiate between all of them there is also W for Well tank where I believe the tank is in between the frames and then just normal tank engines where it just had the T after the wheel configuration. American locomotives also use this same practice. You might also be referring to the power classification for British engines, in that case P is for passenger, MT is for Mixed Traffic and F is for freight and the number preceding one of those letters refers to how powerful it is with the numbers going from 0 to 9.
Hope that helps.

Last edited:
it can also be a class designation, the North Eastern railway was one that used letters (and often in combination with a number) to differentiate different locomotive classes. its Successor, the LNER used letters to designate wheel arrangement, with letters to designate classes and a / number to designate subclass

A Shunter/Switcher Parade at Albert Hill

The background is Northeast England during the steam era but is a ficticious parade of six-coupled shunters on loco exchange/comparison ("switching engines"/"Switchers" in US parlance). Albert Hill works provides a backdrop. From left to right, a former G.E.R./L.N.E.R. 0-6-0 Tram engine of L.N.E.R. Class J70, a former W.D./L.N.E.R. "Austerity" 0-6-0ST (Saddle Tank) of L.N.E.R. Class J94, a former G.W.R. 0-6-0PT (Pannier Tank) of G.W.R. 57xx Class, a former N.E.R./L.N.E.R. 0-6-0T (Tank engine) of L.N.E.R. Class J73 and (for some American "flavor") a former U.S.A.T.C./S.R. 0-6-0T (Tank engine) of the S100 class. The former United States Army Transportation Corps S100s were bought by the Southern Railway to shunt/switch the docks at Southampton. The J94s were bought by the London & North Eastern Railway to shunt their yards and accomplish short trip workings. Many ex-War Department "Austerity" 0-6-0STs found their way to Colliery owners to work their coal mine networks and subsequently the UK National Coal Board (N.C.B.) took control of them. The Tram loco was built to work open street lines and worked the Wisbech Branch in East Anglia as well as the docks at Great Yarmouth. The J73 was a powerful North Eastern Railway class of only ten engines (Worsdell's "L" Class), built to work the very steeply graded Newcastle Quayside branch along with the steeply graded former Newcastle & Carlisle Railway Redheugh ( pronounced "reddhyuff" ) branch on the south side of the River Tyne.

Last edited:
Its grim up north

Northeast England during the steam era. During the 1950s on a grim wet evening a BR (ex-L.N.E.R.) Sentinel Y3 vertical boilered 0-4-0 shunter hauls a rake of bogie bolster and lowmac wagons towards Cleveland Street level crossing and the entry to the Darlington Forge complex. An industrial Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0T heads outwards across the crossing with empty steel bodied coal hoppers as an industrial Robert Heath 0-4-ST approaches on the centre track with coal wagons. This is the Albert Hill district of Darlington on my rolled back version of the County Durham section of TS12's built-in Kings Cross to Newcastle route. it is a work in progress.

Last edited:
Annfield Plain During the pre-grouping era

Northeast England during the steam era. Depicting Annfield Plain circa 1920, a NER Fletcher BTP 0-4-4T stands in the station with an autotrain consisting of Diagram 162 Driving Composites. A Worsdell P1 Class 0-6-0 heads through the station bound for South Pelaw Junction and the yard at Low Fell. this is my personal route NW Durham and is a work in progress.

Last edited:
The view from the school yard

Northeast England during the steam era. Depicting Annfield Plain during the early 1950s, an ex-LNER A8 Class 4-6-2T gets away from Annfield Plain station bound for Newcastle Central, passing an ex-LNER Q6 0-8-0 on a coal train bound for Consett. This is the view from the school yard. I wonder how many boys were distracted from their lessons by the sounds of steam passing them by? This is my personal route NW Durham and is a work in progress.

Last edited:
NER MacDonnell '59' Class 0-6-0 on Excursion duty at Amble Junction circa 1922

Northeast England during the steam era. Depicting the pre-grouping early 1920s, one of MacDonnell's veteran '59' Class mixed-traffic 0-6-0s stands at Amble Junction with an excursion train coming off the Amble branch. MacDonnell built the '59' Class 0-6-0 and the '38' Class 4-4-0 before being forced to resign. While the '38' Class was not suited for the main line duties expected of it, the North Eastern Railway got plenty of work out of the '59' Class, despite T.W.Worsdell's 'C' Class 0-6-0 displacing them from main line duties by the late 1880s. All 44 of the class were equipped with Westinghouse brake and W. Worsdell reboilered them with his steel diagram 69 boiler, which was shared between the 'A' Class 2-4-2T (LNER F8), the 'O' Class 0-4-4T (LNER G5) and the 'P' Class 0-6-0 (LNER J24). The class was a popular choice for excursion duties because of the Westinghouse brake fitted to them. While the class was intact at the grouping as Class J22, with most of them consigned to station pilot and coach marshalling duties, the LNER commenced withdrawals as early as the end of 1924. The last was withdrawn in 1930. This is my personal route Chevington, which is a simple track layout and is a work in progress.

Last edited:
Mha! I am so impatient for this thread to post, you post guys. the closet virtual cousin to magic and gold dust.. :D
Great shots yet again. :)

Your thread, amazinly, dosen't make me crave the payware(Which I persume 99% of this thread :hehe:)

It's normally the the other way round, I crave the payware not the shots.. :hehe:

Last edited:
Northeast England during the steam era. I have tried to use stuff from the Download station for depicting these post-grouping shots circa 1926. Edh6's loco and Andi06's coaches. L.N.E.R. Gresley A1 4-6-2 pacific number 2562 "ISINGLASS" of Gateshead shed heads north through Chevington and past Amble Junction with a down express passenger service. In her as-built A1 form with single chimney, short travel valves, she entered traffic in July 1925. She was built to the LNER loading gauge, rather than the GNR loading gauge of the first members of the class (1481N/4481 "St SIMON" was built to the NBR loading gauge). Allocated to Gateshead during December 1925 she worked express passenger services along with the shed's top link locomotives of Raven's Class A2 Pacifics, Raven's C6 Atlantics and Raven's C7 Atlantics. Her stay in the northeast would be short, heading back down to Doncaster shed in September 1926. She would never again be assigned to a Northeastern shed.
Allocated to Class A10 by Thompson in January 1945 she would be rebuilt to A3 Class in April 1946. The route is my personal Chevington one and is a work in progress.

Last edited:
Back