Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: North East England - Steam Days Screenshots - Large Screenshots Possible

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSpeedMaglev View Post
    Very good indeed! Is that a T:ANE Post-Processing setting?(I don't use T:ANE, but I'm curious ).
    No, that is a custom filter designed to use with real life photos. I guess PC graphics have evolved to a point where we can use real photo filters to decent effect,

Also, I realized I goofed with the train composition - the brakevan that is. Looking back I think none of this specific type was used in the region - certainly not pre-1947. I'm not British, so if you see me make any other inaccuracies - feel free to let me know, I will be happy to learn something new.
    Last edited by Ardaeshir; May 15th, 2018 at 01:51 PM.

Ardaeshir. I do not expect it is easy researching UK railway history from Poland. While some stuff can be grabbed from the internet you do not have easy access to books (and I have dozens). If it is brake vans you are concerned about in this instancem then North British Railway brake vans for pre-1923 on the Border Counties Railway (BCR) in NE England, gradually giving way to LNER types between 1923 and 1947 (though both former North British Railway and former North Eastern Railway types would still make appearances until about 1945). In the British Railways nationalisation era from 1948 most remained the LNER type or BR built derivitives of the LNER design. If you search for "LNER 20T TOAD B", "LNER 20T TOAD D" or "LNER 20T TOAD E" you will find information on common LNER types. On the DLS I think searching for "BR Freight CAR Brake Bauxite" will take you to a BR era brake van by pikkabird.

Default 1919 Newcastle - Diagram 159 53ft6in Luggage Van

North East England during the steam era. A T.W. Worsdell E Class 0-6-0T stands in a centre road at Newcastle Central station with a N.E.R. 53ft6in Bogie Gangway Luggage Van built in 1909.

Nice NER luggage van. I see you've applied the 'correct' NER carriage coat of arms!

From the pic, I can't work out whether it is meant to be lined or are the panel recesses mapped to a light brown texture?

Rob.

Oh yes that is very nice. Not quite suitable for my secondary route country railway, but I still like it.
    From what I know of NER coaching stock Rob it should be lined. The lining effect is quite subtle which I really like.

Borderreiver, - I see your Class 'E' is in NER livery with a numberplate on the bunker; - is that something new from Paul?
    Narcolepsy is not napping.

HP XW8400 Xeon, Dual E5320 quad core CPUs, 16GB RAM, 1Tb SAS Hard drive, Nvidia GTX 960, Win 7.

Hi KotangaGirl - The N.E.R. T.W. Worsdell E Class 0-6-0T is not a new model, it is around two years old.
    Hi Robd - The Luggage van is lined, the straw lining has vermillion edging. If I recall it correctly it was 1/2 inch straw with 1/8 inch vermillion edging.
    The diagram 159s ran in the Newcastle to Liverpool and Hull to Liverpool passenger express trains. Currently researching N.E.R. catering coaches. The Newcastle sets had a 67ft twelve wheel fishbelly underframe catering coach, which I think was a Restaurant Third Diagram 170 built in April 1909. Three were built, numbered 1031, 1480 and 1487. Alternatively, it could have been a 67ft twelve wheel fishbelly underframe Diagram 166 Restaurant Composite built in June 1908. Three of those were also built, numbers 547, 3752 and 3753. I might have to have Paul build both types for me.

Hi borderreiver. Thanks for the info. I'm assuming you've set the luggage van in a modified version of the built in ECML route? You appear to have removed most of the BR era signalling and other BR era paraphernalia and put in a signalling gantry and what appears to be a signal box, along with a new castle(!). Are those assets on the DLS?

Rob.
    Last edited by robd; May 23rd, 2018 at 04:24 PM.

Hi Robd. The shot is actually on my NW Durham route. There is more alteration at Newcastle compared to the built-in TS12 ECML than meets the eye at first glance. I could not just take the boards containing the station and just fit them in, so I merged a small section of the ECML off to the side and copied and pasted measured sections on to the existing boards on the NW Durham route. Some small height adjustments were required (I had already relaid the track southwards on the ECML to a track gradient plan I have). I then realigned/straightened the far western end of the station to fit the parcels bays in and relaid the eastern end too. I kept the High Level bridge and King Edward bridge alignments. I mostly used the assets on the DLS. The N.E.R. elevated signal box is one of Paul's assets he created for me. No-one has done that on the DLS to the best of my knowledge. There is no DLS asset for the large SB at the west end of the station so I am using a large one from the S&C route assets. Another job on the "to do" list is have Paul build me some N.E.R. Northern division signal boxes. Build me a couple more N.E.R. station buildings too.

P.S. - the actual N.E.R. era Newcastle Central had an extensive extended roof at the west end, which extended right across the station and the avoiding lines. I have parts of it in place, reflecting things more or less as they were in the late 40s/early 50s. Colour light signalling arrived around 1959, so a 1960s setting would have colour light signalling, the old east end roofing cut back to merely the North Tyneside bays and the N.E.R. elevated signal cabin removed.
    Last edited by borderreiver; May 23rd, 2018 at 10:51 AM.

Default The NER Diagram 171 Luggage Brake

North East England during the steam era. The 1920s post-grouping. The Lanchester branch train from Blackhill to Durham passes Baxter Wood Signal Box, taking the line for Relly Mill Junction, the East Coast Main Line and Durham station. Behind the E5 2-4-0 locomotive is a former North Eastern Railway 32ft 6-wheel Luggage Van to Diagram 171. The predominant type of luggage van on the N.E.R. was the 32ft 6-wheel arc-roof Diagram 21. 197 examples were built between 1886 and the early 1900s, compared to only 22 of the elliptical roof diagram 171 built between 1908 and 1911. An empty horsebox has been attached to the rear. an N8 0-6-2T is in the Baxter Wood sidings headshunt with a 20 Ton 6-wheel Brake Van.

The E5 takes the chord towards Relly Mill Junction as a Q6 0-8-0 heads northwards from Bridge House Junction to join the Lanchester branch for Consett South Junction.

The E5 takes the branch train on to the Down ECML at Relly Mill Junction.

Running down the bank from Relly Mill in the deep cutting approach to the viaduct at the south of Durham station.

Southbound Up fitted freight heading for York Dringhouses in the hands of a B16 4-6-0. Durham cathedral in the background.

E5 and B16 pass on the ECML south of Durham station.

Great shots, borderreiver.

Rob.

Yes excellent screenshot, - thanks for sharing them with us.
    Narcolepsy is not napping.

HP XW8400 Xeon, Dual E5320 quad core CPUs, 16GB RAM, 1Tb SAS Hard drive, Nvidia GTX 960, Win 7.

Thanks Robd and KotangaGirl. I have managed to buy five out of six articles by D. Rowland from 1974 titled "Keeping the Balance". It appears to have come about from wanting to build a model railway layout based on the L.M.S.R. during 1938. The author wondered how many locomotives he should have and what rolling stock would be suitable to reflect the L.M.S.R. in 1938. The results of his research appear to be quite startling. Ten locomotives, twenty-three coaches, eight non-passenger carrying vehicles and seven hundred and thirty three wagons! Of those wagons almost half were private owner wagons, with over half of all railway owned wagons being in the common user pool!

Is the loco, numbered LNER 840, as seen in shot #324 a B16 ?

Rob.

Edit: just read the info between shots - need to go to specsavers - again!
    Last edited by robd; June 2nd, 2018 at 09:05 AM.

Hi Robd, yes, N.E.R. Raven S3 Class 4-6-0 # 840, built 1919, reclassified to B16 Class by the L.N.E.R. Allocated to Heaton shed to November 1930. The next thirty years saw it going to Hull Dairycoates, York, Stockton, York again, Neville Hill, Heaton, Blaydon, Heaton for a third time. Selby and York for a third and final time. Condemned at York October 1960. Never rebuilt.

Thanks, borderreiver.