North East England - Steam Days Screenshots - Large Screenshots Possible

I know you weren’t asking me, but no, it isn’t.

I had to ask the question however the answer was what I expected.
The reason for asking the question related to objects in the route which I am interested in.
I know who provides the loco stock as I have just ordered the coal hoppers from him.
I know he does the loco's as well as I have quite a number of them.
What I would like to know in the first instance is who does the signals.

Hello JackDownUnder. the route is not available on the DLS because it is the County Durham section of the TS12 built-in Kings Cross to Newcastle route rolled back to steam days. I cloned it and the T:ANE built in Kings Cross to Edinburgh routes before the DRM protections were implemented. They are for my personal use and sadly I cannot put them on the DLS. I am building a small route set around Reedsmouth Junction and Bellingham in North British Railway territory in rural Northumberland and Chrisaw is very kindly helping with some signals for it. I am working towards getting that up on the DLS in a T:ANE version but it is not yet ready.

A larger project is around fifteen miles of the ECML during the N.E.R./L.N.E.R. period in Northumberland. Running between Morpeth and Alnmouth with the Amble branch included. possibly the Alnwick branch will be added later. This is a transdem route and while the trackwork is around 33% complete the scenery is only about 10% complete. I am deliberately not including the Ashington/Blyth/Ellington/Newbiggen district because it will raise the trackwork required by around ten-fold!

The signals on the route are on the DLS. Look for Sig UQ, Sig LMS, Sig LMSR and Sig AS. Authors Francelinetony, Bloodnok, Ringarooma, davie-ucf and Chrisaw. like the oscars, if I have left anybody out my apologies.

A First Look at Northallerton and NER Class 1440

North East England during the steam era. I have been doing a little bit of work at Northallerton in North Yorkshire on the East Coast Main Line. This is the North Yorkshire section of the TS12 built-in route Kings Cross to Newcastle. I have been rolling it back to steam days and this involves rebuilding the Leeds Northern route to the south of Northallerton. The link from the Leeds Northern to the ECML also restored. A lot of scenery alterations required to roll the buildings back and adjust field lines.

At 9:05 a.m. circa 1920 a Fletcher 1440 2-4-0 brings the 7:25 a.m. from Leeds to West Hartlepool via Harrogate and Ripon off the Cordio Loop. The stock is set 302 and is a Leeds Link A set. It is made up of two 52ft bogie Van 3 compartment Thirds, a 52ft bogie Lavatory Composite and a 49ft bogie Third. On Mondays Only a further Third would be added at Leeds. A Van was added at Leeds and removed at Ripon, also Mondays Only. A Milk van is waiting at Northallerton station to be added for South Shields via West Hartlepool. The 1440 Class was a 6ft coupled wheel version of the Fletcher 901 Class and built between 1875 and 1882 to address a shortage of motive power on the old Leeds Northern route. Fifteen were built and ten remained in traffic by the grouping. All were withdrawn by 1927. Durham shed was where several of them were assigned post-WWI.

Hello JackDownUnder. the route is not available on the DLS because it is the County Durham section of the TS12 built-in Kings Cross to Newcastle route rolled back to steam days. I cloned it and the T:ANE built in Kings Cross to Edinburgh routes before the DRM protections were implemented. They are for my personal use and sadly I cannot put them on the DLS. I am building a small route set around Reedsmouth Junction and Bellingham in North British Railway territory in rural Northumberland and Chrisaw is very kindly helping with some signals for it. I am working towards getting that up on the DLS in a T:ANE version but it is not yet ready.

A larger project is around fifteen miles of the ECML during the N.E.R./L.N.E.R. period in Northumberland. Running between Morpeth and Alnmouth with the Amble branch included. possibly the Alnwick branch will be added later. This is a transdem route and while the trackwork is around 33% complete the scenery is only about 10% complete. I am deliberately not including the Ashington/Blyth/Ellington/Newbiggen district because it will raise the trackwork required by around ten-fold!

The signals on the route are on the DLS. Look for Sig UQ, Sig LMS, Sig LMSR and Sig AS. Authors Francelinetony, Bloodnok, Ringarooma, davie-ucf and Chrisaw. like the oscars, if I have left anybody out my apologies.

This is my TranzDem generated route for part of North Yorkshire centered on Starbeck. All NER generally however some LMS operations. have been construction this since TS2004 with a long learning curve, finally to current stage after importing into Tane SP2 HF1. I am trying to limit the era to pre world war one with some difficulty. Trackwork is as exact as can be based on 1910 mapping, lots of consists utilizing Pauls running gear. Trackwork is 100% with exception of the LMS branch, scenery lots more work required.
Nearly all consists appear through portals located at each of the emanation stations with exception of those to Lofthouse.

Yorkshire_Mini_Map_zpsmhevtc2x.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hello JackDownUnder. I have a project on a similar scale. My personal NW Durham and Newcastle route, the centre of which is Consett. It is a transdem route and I have been working on it since 2009. I have quite a few payware items on it, such as the station building at Consett and the steelworks gas holders. The route is "technically" set in the LNER 1930s but for the most part it will suffice for the period 1923 - 1963.

If you don't know about it already the National Library of Scotland has the UK 25 inch to 1 mile maps online. http://maps.nls.uk/geo/find/# is the link.

I have just had Paul build me the NER 901 and 1440 classes of 2-4-0. The 1440 was built for the old Leeds Northern line so you can justify having a couple on shed at Starbeck.

1440 and Z at Northallerton

North East England during the steam era. More Northallerton shots. This time with the 1440 Class being passed by a Z Class Atlantic on a fitted freight working.

Great to see a growing interest in the North East! My own long ter project is a Transdem route covering the Stainmore Line and Middleton in Teesdale branch. Most of the track is in place, but still several months of work ahead. I hope to release this at some time in the future, when it is up to scratch. I too, make much use of Paul’s work.
Best wishes
Ian

Hello IanOHoseason. The 901 Class was used on the Stainmore line and Middleton in Teesdale branch. One (No. 370) was allocated to the shed at Middleton in Teesdale from 1914 to 1924. Five were allocated to Barnard Castle shed at the grouping. One (No. 1325) was allocated to Kirkby Stephen shed until 1925.

Thank you for that information. Although my main interest is th ‘50s, it is my intention that the route be “timeless”, as apart from shed / signal box closures, the general feel and flavour of the place remained the same. I shall post some progress shots soon.
best wishes
Ian

BCR Reedsmouth to Bellingham Progress

North East England during the steam era. Rural Northumberland post WWII. Ex-North British Railway Class J36 are still frequent visitors to the Border Counties Railway. My route between Reedsmouth Junction and Bellingham is making progress. Chrisaw has very kindly produced a custom signal for the north end of Reedsmouth Junction. Signals controlling traffic in each direction shared one pole.

LNER Class J36 9779 gets away from Reedsmouth Junction late on a summer's evening with a through freight for Riccarton Junction.

The J36 passes the signal en-route towards the next token exchange point at Bellingham.

A J36 stands on shed as the freight train goes by.

Crossing the bridge over the River Rede.

Clerestory Days

North East England during the steam era. I am in the process of assembling the stock for the pre-grouping Anglo-Scottish daytime express passenger trains along the East Coast Main Line. On the one hand it is a small task, because there were only five timetabled day time express trains between London Kings Cross and Edinburgh for the period 1914 to 1922, but on the other it is a large task because there were around thirty nine different carriage designs involved. The East Coast Joint Company mostly built carriages in small lots and each was designed for a specific traffic flow. The E.C.J.C. was made up of the Great Northern Railway, North Eastern Railway and North British Railway, roughly in 45%, 35% and 20% portions and managed the trains. By the early 20th century the traffic between London and Tyneside necessitated the G.N.R. and N.E.R. forming the G.N. & N.E. Joint Company as the N.B.R. protested at the G.N.R. and N.E.R. using East Coast Joint Stock coaches. The NBR was protesting at paying about 20% of the cost of E.C.J.S. coaches for which it received no revenue if the coaches were used on London to Tyneside services.

My initial task was to assemble the stock for the 1914 10 a.m. Flying Scotsman train, though it was not a named train prior to L.N.E.R. days and the generally understood nickname was the Great Northern's one, the "10 a.m. Scotch Express". Before 1928 there was no official train name and no non-stop service either. I believe that the press began to give the train the nickname "The Flying Scotsman" from the introduction of the 1924 L.N.E.R. set for the 10 a.m. train. In any event, when eventually introduced, the non-stop service was a summer season only week day train, with the "summer" being some date in July until a date at the end of September. Prior to the grouping, the E.C.J.C. recognised that traffic built up as the weather improved, so a relief train ran between London and Newcastle on Mondays to Fridays during June as well as Mondays and Fridays during May.

While I have six carriage designs to have built to assemble the 10 a.m. 1914 train, I have only three more carriages designs to have built to be able to assemble the 9:50 a.m. train which ran from King's Cross to Edinburgh. With no portioned working to accommodate the 9:50 a.m. had a wholly First Class coach in the formation.

Below the UP balancing working brings the stock south from Edinburgh behind one or Raven's N.E.R. Z Class 3-cylinder Atlantic 4-4-2. The N.E.R. had a long standing agreement with the N.B.R. to haul the E.C.J.S trains to and from Edinburgh. the N.B.R. decided to change that and reverted to having the N.E.R. haul the trains within a year. A less publicised long standing tradition by 1922 was appalling timekeeping leaving Edinburgh! With only five day time express trains leaving for London there was a powerful incentive to hold them for connecting passengers (particularly First Class passengers). The up Scotch Express had to wait for through coaches from Aberdeen, Perth and Glasgow, so any delays to their trains meant a delay to the main train from Edinburgh. At the head of the train is a 1903 Cowlairs built 46ft6in BG to Diagram 36. The catering core of the train is a heavy three-car arrangement. From front to rear it It is made up of a 1900 Doncaster built 62ft Restaurant First to Diagram 76A, a 1900 Doncaster built 63ft 6in Restaurant Pantry Third to Diagram 30 and a 1902 York built 65ft6in Open Third to Diagram 33. All were bogey coaches with six wheels per bogey. Evidently there was an expectation of a heavy demand for dining, especially Third Class dining. The Diagram 33 had two saloons, meaning neither, one or both could be laid for meal service.

The elliptical roof coaches are by the late Andi06 and are "place holders" until I can insert the clerestory coaches meant to go in there.

Last edited:
Enjoyed reading thru your Thread today.........

:wave: Good Day Gents,

Just wanted to say, one heck of Route Map you made for us to see, very creative work there. And your consists are quite colorful too!

I can't imagine what it took to build this route, if you say from Trainz 2004, and then to transport into T:ANE is no small feat either.

:cool: Really like the information shared and accompanying story lines, since I have never been to this country, with just reading the story-line details, I feel like I'm right there along with your pictures. One can feel the excitement of the heavy train schedule it took to manage these lines as well as associated Cost Issues, and let's not forget the competition between Rail Companies.

I say again, well done gentleman, and if I ever get across the Pond, I'll make it a priority to ride some of whats left of these type trains.

Cheers :Y::Y::Y:

Hello Blueoddessey. Thank you. The map was from JackDownUnder of the route he is working on. I am looking forward to Jack posting some shots of the area around Harrogate in Yorkshire when he is able to.

It has taken a number of sources to have assembled the information necessary to build the trains. There are three main eras for when steam locomotives reigned in the UK. First was the pre-grouping era, which spans 1825 to 1922. This was from the first public railway, the Stockton & Darlington in 1825 to the date when the UK government forced the railway business to amalgamate in to four large companies on 1st January 1923 in the wake of the Great War. At the point of being amalgamated in to the London & North Eastern Railway, the North Eastern Railway had been in existence for sixty-six years. Second was "The Big Four" era, or "the post-grouping" era between 1923 and 1947. The pinnacle of the inter-war years was reached around 1937 with the Gresley streamliners, Mallard's 125mph steam record and the 1938 Flying Scotsman set in the hands of the Gresley A4 class. On the London Midland & Scottish running along the West Coast Main Line there were streamlined locomotives and Stanier's PIII coaches. Third was the British Railways nationalised era from 1948 to the end of main line steam in 1968. This third era is the one that remains most pronounced in living memory and is the most recorded due to the growing ownership of cameras, not least to record what was pronounced as the replacement of steam by diesel and electric trains.

If you ever do get across to the UK you will find modern trains are mostly very unlike the ones depicted here. Not just because they are now diesel or electric, but because the journey times are so much shorter than 50 or 100 years ago and dining is now a very different experience on all but luxury tourist trains. Between London and Edinburgh First Class passengers get a choice of hot food snacks served at the seat. it is a trolley service for Standad class (if it can get through the packed train). It is a lot like travelling coach class on US airlines. Airline style seating predominates and sometimes you don't even get a view out of a window. The long distance ECJS/LNER expresses tended to have four seats per compartment in First Class and six seats per Third Class compartment. In the dining saloons first class had one seat either side of a central aisle while Third Class had two seats on one side of the aisle and one seat on the other. Second Class had been largely abolished on long distance trains in the late 19th century but British Railways renamed Third Class as Second Class in the 1950s. Today Second Class is called Standard Class. These days you will find First Class has two seats one side of the aisle with one on the other while Standard Class has two seats either side of the aisle.

Durham shed - morning has broken

North East England during the steam era. Bright and early on a summer's morning post-WWI at Durham shed by the East Coast Main Line. Seven examples of locomotives designed or rebuilt under five different N.E.R. Chief Mechanical Engineers are present readying for the day's work.

In age order: Fletcher locomotives include 901 Class 2-4-0 and 1440 Class 2-4-0, both rebuilt by W.Worsdell during the mid-1890s. A McDonnell 59 Class 0-6-0 is visiting, possibly after being removed from a train at Durham due to a fault. A Tennant 1463 Class 2-4-0 is also present. T.W. Worsdell has an A Class 2-4-2T and W. Worsdell has an O Class 0-4-4T. W. Worsdell and Fletcher share honours again with a 290 Class 0-6-0, which is a major rebuild of a Fletcher BTP 0-4-4T. The O Class and the 290 Class became LNER Classes G5 and J77 respectively, both lasting until the late 1950s/early 1960s. The Railway certainly got its value for money from the J77s, being over eighty years old on scrapping.

Around twenty years separates the O Class 0-4-4T from the 901/1440 Classes and a little over a decade separates the O Class and 1463 Class. Neither the 901, 1440 nor 1463 are very much larger than the O Class, which was considered to be a small engine, yet the 901, 1440, and 1463 were conceived as main line engines. The arrival of the larger 4-4-0s, the Atlantic 4-4-2s and Pacific 4-6-2s are products of the ever longer and ever heavier trains deployed to the main line expresses.

Clerestory Days

North East England during the steam era. Pre-grouping North Eastern Railway by the river Tees, the boundary between County Durham and Yorkshire's North Riding. The down 9:50 a.m. Luncheon Dining Car Express out of King's Cross for Edinburgh is made up of East Coast Joint Stock coaches and hauled by a Raven 3-cylinder Z Class 4-4-2 Atlantic. The 9:50 a.m. ran ten minutes ahead of the 10:00 a.m. "Scotch Express". While the Scotch Express was a portioned train for Edinburgh, Glasgow, Perth and Aberdeen limited to passengers ticketed to travel to Edinburgh or places beyond. the 9:50 a.m. was bound just for Edinburgh and was open to all ticketed passengers. The 9:50 a.m. remained a train made up of clerestory roof coaches in 1920. Of the daytime trains only the 10 a.m. was made up of all elliptical roof coaches but it took until 1924 for the LNER to shift that change further with the introduction of the 1924 Flying Scotsman set, allowing the 1914 set to cascade to another daytime service for Scotland. With the 9:50 a.m. only going to Edinburgh it had an all-First class coach. Also notable on the eight coach set was a three coach catering core, of Restaurant First, Pantry Third and Open Third. This catered to the expectation of a heavy demand for dining, especially for Third Class passengers. Two saloons in the RTP and a further two in the TO meant that one, two, three or all four could be laid for dining service as required.

The name Flying Scotsman for the 10 a.m. Express was four years away in 1920 and the non-stop summer train was eight years away. The old late 19th century agreement between the East and West Coast operators reached after the "Races to the North" that neither Glasgow nor Edinburgh could be reached under eight hours still applied 25 years later. Ignoring the fact that track, locomotives and coaches had changed greatly in the intervening years would not last for much longer.

The Z class 9:50 a.m. descends towards the Tees bridge. The 12 wheel bogey Diagram 52 61ft6in Corridor Brake Third is a product of the NBR Cowlairs workshop while the two 8 wheel bogey Diagram 23 53ft6in Corridor Thirds behind it are products of the NER York workshops. The 9:50 is the first down daytime express of the day. Only five were timetabled, which is a far cry from the present day timetable of twenty five. However, in 1920 there were regular instances of trains being duplicated or even triplicated by reliefs when ticketing demand required it.

A branch train from Darlington for Richmond heads south from Croft Spa towards the Tees bridge in the hands of a Fletcher 901 Class 2-4-0.

The 901 and Z class pass each other on the road bridge over the Darlington to Northallerton road. the NER Milepost is the 41 miles from York milepost.

The 901 passing each other viewed from the east. Late lunch diners disembarking at Darlington need to finish quickly and settle their bill. The train is due to arrive there in about five minutes.

Last edited:
Hi again, I tried to find the Fletcher 901 Class 2-4-0 in the BRDatabase without any success either with the wheel arrangement or loco #53. Do you have any further details

The 901 Class Fletcher 7ft 2-4-0 tender engine was built from 1872 – 1882.

Two at Gateshead in 1875, ten from Beyer Peacock in 1873, ten from Nielson & Co in 1873, seventeen from Gateshead between 1873 and 1876 and the final sixteen from Gateshead between 1880 and 1882. A total of fifty-five engines. There was a wide variety of appearance (typical Fletcher), especially among the contractor supplied locos, with great latitude given to Beyer Peacock in particular. However, rebuilding by T.W. Worsdell at the end of the 1880s along with rebuilding and reboilering by W. Worsdell during the mid/late 1890s largely changed and standardised them. Twenty-six were scrapped just before WWI when scrapping was suspended. A further nineteen were scrapped between the end of WWI and the grouping. The final ten were taken over by the LNER but all were gone by 1925.

The class was put to work on the East Coast main line, though as trains got heavier during the 1880s they were often worked in pairs, sometimes a 901 Class working with a 1463 Class (LNER E5). By 1887 they were being displaced from main line express passenger duties. They found work on the line over Stainmore between Darlington, Tebay and Penrith, on the Leeds Northern route between Leeds and Stockton via Harrogate, Ripon and Northallerton. Some found pilot work at York and Darlington. They retained a presence on the East Coast Main Line hauling lesser services and sometimes found themselves deputising for a failed engine on an express. This work could be extremely demanding since the train hauled by the failed engine would be late and invariably heavier than the class was expected to haul during its early years in service. Darlington engines could be found working passenger trains to Saltburn, while York engines could be found on slow passenger trains to Darlington and to Scarborough.

Number 53, built at Gateshead circa 1873 was withdrawn from Darlington shed in October 1923.

Back