North East England - Steam Days Screenshots - Large Screenshots Possible

Guido most if not all the items in this thread are from me. Most items are on my website, if not email me and I will let you know the details. Those wagons are available in clean, weathered and heavily weathered versions.

Hello Guido

They were built for me by Paul Mace of Paulztrainz. I have NER, LNER, BR and NCB versions of Hoppers to diagrams P4, P5, P6, P7, P8 and P17. The North Eastern Railway preferred to have coal, coke, iron ore and stone hauled over its network in its own wagons. Since by far the bulk of traffic was coal from the collieries to other NER destinations (such as the riverside coal staithes for shipment to London) the owners of the coal mines were content to go along with it. The NER kept its rates low for many years during the late 19th century to keep the mine owners on their side. There are examples of the NER writing stern letters to colliery officers reminding them to promptly return wagons to the NER and to not use them as storage (or for internal use on their colliery system). The ultimate NER Coal Hopper wagon was the 40 Ton steel bodied bogie Hopper type employed in the Ashington and Blyth area in Northumberland for traffic to the coal staithes at Blyth. I haven't commissioned them since I am not building that particular district.

NE Area 1926 Set Roster Number 19

North East England in the steam era. Here I have depicted 1926 and am representing the LNER NE Area carriage set roster number 19. This started at Ferryhill at 7:34 a.m. and finished at York at 9:42 p.m. In the intervening period the set would travel all the way north to Edinburgh Waverley and then back south, travelling all the way south to York. To be in position to accomplish this duty on the Monday morning, the set had travelled south from Heaton on the Saturday evening and stabled at Ferryhill until Monday. This followed a six day period without any duties for the set. In my opinion that was probably a maintenance period, from the Sunday at 10:15 p.m. through to Saturday at 7:02 p.m. This gap in duty appears to have occurred once every nineteen weeks for the nineteen sets (Numbered between 1 and 20) described by the 1926 LNER NE Area Carriage Roster as "the main line sets". On a Monday this long distance rostered duty would have been in the hands of a newly maintained set. There was no twentieth set in 1926, it was marked in the roster as "cancelled". I do not know when it was deleted.

The core main line sets were book-ended at each end by a 3-compartment 52ft bogie Van 3rd. In between was a 52ft bogie Lavatory Composite and two 52ft bogie Thirds. In 1926 these were coded as 2 XBT(3), XCL(4-3) and 2 XT. It provided 29 1st Class and 244 3rd Class seats. The "main line sets" were rostered to routinely work both main line stopping trains and branch line trains to Richmond, Bishop Auckland, Consett, Blackhill and South Shields. The NER only had around 76 bogie corridor coaches on its books in 1922 so I believe that they were likely to be made up of non-gangway coaches. In 1926 there were elliptical roof coaches on the roster but I am depicting a set of clerestory roof coaches of 1900 vintage hanging on to the duty.

In the first screenshot one of TW Worsdell's Class G5 0-4-4Ts, Number 1882 of Ferryhill shed, waits to depart on the 7:35 a.m. to Newcastle via Leamside and Washington. It arrives Newcastle at 8:43 a.m. and will change engine during a thirty minute layover at Central station. While there it will also gain another Lavatory Composite, which the roster coded as WCL, meaning it could be any bogie coach of 45ft, 49ft or 52ft length, as available. The set would depart for Edinburgh at 9:15 a.m.

In the second screenshot I am depicting the set heading north at Chevington with the 9:15 a.m. departure from Newcastle. It is in the hands of a Worsdell Class D20 4-4-0, Gateshead shed Number 1147. At the head of the train is the attached 52ft Diagram 88 Lavatory Composite, which is not in the best condition. The train stopped at Morpeth and its next stop is Alnmouth. After a further stop at Belford it will reach Berwick on Tweed at 11:06. After a seven minute layover, where it might have changed to an ex-NBR engine, it would stop at Reston and Dunbar, arriving Edinburgh at 12:43 p.m.

July 2017 - Photobucket links switched to Imgur.

Last edited:
North East England in the steam era. Here I have depicted 1926 and am representing the LNER NE Area carriage set roster number 19. This started at Ferryhill at 7:34 a.m. and finished at York at 9:42 p.m. In the intervening period the set would travel all the way north to Edinburgh and then back south, all the way to York. On a Monday this set had travelled south from Heaton on the preceding Saturday evening and stabled at Ferryhill until Monday. This followed a six day period without any duties. That was probably a maintenance period, from the Sunday at 10:15 p.m. through to Saturday at 7:02 p.m. This gap in duty appears to have occurred once every nineteen weeks for the twenty sets described by the LNER carriage roster as "the main line sets". On a Monday this long distance rostered duty would have been in the hands of a newly maintained set.

The consist was book-ended at each end by a 3-compartment 52ft bogie Van 3rd. In between was a 52ft bogie Lavatory Composite and two 52ft bogie Thirds. In 1926 these were coded as 2 XBT(3), XCL(4-3) and 2 XT. It provided 29 1st Class and 244 3rd Class seats. It can be difficult to determine where corridor connected coaches were deployed, but the "main line sets" number 1 to 20 were rostered to routinely work to branch line destinations such as Richmond, Bishop Auckland, Consett, Blackhill and South Shields, so I believe that they were most likely to be non-corridor coaches. In 1926 there were elliptical roof coaches on the roster but I am depicting a set of clerestory roof coaches of 1900 vintage hanging on to a duty.

In the first screenshot one of TW Worsdell's Class G5 0-4-4Ts, Number 1882 of Ferryhill shed, waits to depart on the 7:35 a.m. to Newcastle via Leamside and Washington. It arrives Newcastle at 8:43 a.m. and will change engine during a thirty minute layover at Central station. While there it will also gain another Lavatory Composite, which the roster coded as WCL, meaning it could be any bogie coach, of 45ft, 49ft or 52ft length, as available. The set would depart for Edinburgh at 9:15 a.m.

In the second screenshot I am depicting the set heading north at Chevington with the 9:15 a.m. departure from Newcastle. It is in the hands of a Worsdell Class D20 4-4-0, Gateshead shed Number 1147. At the head of the train is the attached 52ft Diagram 88 Lavatory Composite, which is not in the best of condition. The train stopped at Morpeth and its next stop is Alnmouth. After a further stop at Belford it will reach Berwick on Tweed at 11:06. After a seven minute layover, where it might have changed to an ex-NBR engine, it would stop at Reston and Dunbar, arriving Edinburgh at 12:43 p.m.

Is Ferryhill also part of the EMCL route?

Hi HH

Ferryhill is on the ECML route, 13 miles north of Darlington and 9 miles south of Durham. On the TS12 and T:ANE built in routes there is a small yard and a quarry, no station. I have rolled back the County Durham section of the TS12 built-in to the steam era, which involved putting the station back. During NER days a traveller from Ferryhill could go north on the ECML to Newcastle, south on the ECML to Darlington, north via the Leamside route to Newcastle and Sunderland, south-east via the Ferryhill and Stockton line to Middlesbrough, east to Hartlepool, and west via Spennymoor to Bishop Auckland.

Last edited:
@ borderreiver: Are the teak clerestory coaches from Paulz Trainz? They don't look too bad in your screenshots.

Rob.

Hi Robd, the loco and coaches are from Paul. I have recently had him build me some 1908 elliptical roof coaches, mostly 49 ft bogies. I want some more, so I will be getting him to build enough 52ft 1909/1916 bogie coaches to make up some sets as running in NE Area on services such as Newcastle - Carlisle.

NER 1922 Set Roster Number 20

North East England during the steam era. I am depicting a Tuesday in 1922, the last year of the NER's existence and spotlighting carriage roster number 20. My previous screenshots were of roster 19, and the following day that set would work north from York, departing at 7:05 a.m. as roster 20, taking it back to Newcastle and Heaton Carriage Sidings. It would also take back the Lavatory Composite added the previous morning at Newcastle when working to Edinburgh on roster 19. On Mondays Only, running as required, roster 20 would work onwards from Newcastle to Edinburgh, departing Newcastle at 11:08 a.m. After Edinburgh it would go to Niddire West on the Edinburgh suburban lines and then work back direct to Heaton Carriage Sidings, which leaves me with the impression that this southbound working was an empty stock one, possibly balancing out stock moves that had built up a number of coaches at Edinburgh.

In the first screenshot we are north of Aycliffe, where the electrified Shildon - Newport branch crossed the ECML. A NER Worsdell R Class 4-4-0 (LNER D20) number 2013 with an extra long superheating smokebox in Saxony Green hauls the set forming roster 20. Departed York 7:05 a.m., stopped at Aycliffe at 9:13 a.m. and will arrive Newcastle at 10:20 a.m. Stopping at wayside stations between York and Durham, it ran non-stop between Durham and Newcastle. Behind the train a Raven Electric 0-4+4-0 loco (what is now known as Bo-Bo) later designated as EF1 Class in 1945 hauls a 1,400 Ton coal train made up of seventy NER 20 Ton Coal Hoppers. The class was designed to haul 1,400 Ton trains at 25 mph on level track.

In the second screenshot the R Class passes under the bridge south of Plawsworth station between Durham and Chester le Street. The coaches are in lined Crimson Lake livery. The extra long smokebox fitted to No. 2013 originally contained a Sisterton superheater header when the smokebox was fitted to No. 1235 in 1907. The superheater and smokebox were removed from No. 1235 in 1909. By 1912 Raven had convinced the board on the advantages of superheating and in the R Class No. 2013 was the first to receive a Schmidt superheater, with Raven re-using No. 1235's old Sisterton smokebox. It retained this distinguishing feature until 1930.

July 2017 - Photobucket link switched to Imgur.

Last edited:
Just some advice for taking screenshots of a train moving at a fast speed:
I would recommend pausing the game when taking screenshots so you can ensure that the front of the train isn't cut off.
Other than that, nice screenshots.

N.E.R. Electric Freight locomotive

North East England during the steam era. Here "a cuckoo in the nest" is depicted post-WWI in the form of an N.E.R. Raven 0-4+4-0 (later known as a Bo-Bo wheel arrangement) Electric Freight locomotive, number 5. It is hauling a 1,400 Ton 70 wagon coal train of N.E.R. wooden bodied 20 Ton coal hoppers on the electrified Shildon to Newport line near Aycliffe in County Durham.

In the first screenshot, No.5 crosses the ECML near Aycliffe, bound for Newport.

Even in the early 20th century changes were under way and there were glimpses of the future. Tyneside electrification on third rail had taken place around 1904 to combat tram competition but just before WWI the new N.E.R. CME Vincent Raven convinced the board that DC overhead electrification was the future of rail transport. Raven hoped that the N.E.R. would electrify the York to Newcastle stretch of the East Coast main line but accepted the board's decison that heavy coal export traffic between Shildon in west Durham and Newport on the River Tees justified electrifying the line as proof of concept. Unfortunately WWI intervened and while the electrification of the Shildon - Newport line went ahead, along with Raven designing and building ten electric freight locomotives, electrifying the East Coast main line was not to happen until more than 70 years after the end of WWI.

The war and the curtailing of coal exports out of the east coast ports meant that traffic on the line plummeted. Post-WWI the export traffic never recovered to pre-war levels and dropped still further after the crash of 1929. By the early 1930s coal traffic was adequately covered by two electric locomotives, meaning eight routinely stayed in shed out of traffic. The line required overhead equipment renewal in the mid-1930s and the LNER declined to spend the capital on the work, de-electrifying the line. One loco was rebuilt in 1942 as a banker (EB1) for the Manchester - Sheffield electrification. In 1945 the other nine were classed as EF1. Post-WWII the EB1 loco was sent to the GE Section to work as a shunter at Ilford carriage sheds, where it worked until 1960 when the GE lines switched to AC electrification. It was scrapped in 1964. The EF1 locos were scrapped in 1951 after 16 years out of service.

The second screenshot shows No. 5 as it approaches the bridges near Aycliffe in County Durham.

July 2017 - Photobucket links switched to Imgur.

Last edited:
Hi HH

I have a short stretch of line where the Shildon - Newport crosses the East Coast Main Line and it is good to have something passing overhead. The NER wooden bodied hoppers are the natural partner for the loco. Up to 70 of them in 11, 12, 15 or 20 ton variant were put behind the loco for the trip to Newport yard.

The Demands of Heavy Industry

North East England during the steam era. Depicting 1959 in County Durham, heavy industry operates 24 hours a day and has a voracious appetite for raw materials. Here, number 64860 of Gateshead shed (52A) one of Gresley's J39 0-6-0s hauls an evening Class H freight from Low Fell Yard to Newport Yard on the up East Coast main line at Chester le Street. The train has scrap metal, crushed stone and loco coal from the Northumberland coal field. County Durham's coalfield produced coal suited for coking and gas production, while Northumberland coal suited furnaces and raising steam. The locomotive has only three years of service life remaining in 1959, being withdrawn in December 1962.

Last edited:
The Demands of Industry

North East England in the steam era. Here I am depicting 1956 with the railways nationalised as British Railways. A BR ex-War Department 2-8-0 No. 90056 of 51A Darlington shed takes a train of empty bogie bolster wagons as a Class H unfitted freight train past darlington station on its way to Consett Low Yard. The train originated at York Dringhouses Yard late the previous evening and Darlington's "Flying Bedstead" has taken over haulage from the York engine which came off at Croft Junction Yard just to the south of Darlington station. Once at Consett the 2-8-0 will exchange the empty rake for the day's loaded train of bogie bolsters bound for York Dringhouses Yard. The 2-8-0's crew will finish their rostered turn once they have dropped off the train at Croft Junction Yard.

The loco model is the work of the late Andi06.

July 2017 - photobucket link switched to Imgur.

Last edited:
The Demands of Heavy Industry

North East England in the steam era. Darlington's ex-WD 2-8-0 is a little further north as it passes Darlington's power station.

Last edited:
A View From a Cab

North East England during the steam era. the view from the cab as BR ex-WD 2-8-0 No.90056 of 51A Darlington shed approaches NER Milepost 48 between Darlington and Aycliffe in County Durham. The NER mileage is counted from the datum point at York.

Last edited:
Most from Paulz Trainz Jack, email me at paulztrainzusa (at) gmail.com. Most items not on website as my wife looked after website, she passed 7 months ago, so a lot of catching up to do on that front.

Last edited:
Back