North East England - Steam Days Screenshots - Large Screenshots Possible

1939 25 Ton Transhipment Van Diagram G7

The result of tweaking the post-1937 LNER ATB Fitted livery for the G7 ex-NER 25 Ton Bogie Transhipment Van.

1946 - Suspected Hot box at Ferryhill

Hello Annie

Re post #642 -I must point out that I commissioned the 25 Ton Bogie Transhipment vans and in the end "signing off" the textures supplied is down to me. I find that when I commission items Paul sends me stuff for checking and I give the yes or no regarding going with it. So, at the end of the day it is down to me. Over time with more research and as versions of trainz move on I evolve my ideas. It was one reason for me working on the HD Lettering and numbering for N.E.R. E.CJ.S. G.N.R. and L.N.E.R. assets.

A gang inspect a possible hot box on a heavily weathered G7 bogie transhipment Van in Ferryhill Up yard.

Last edited:
L.N.E.R. Period Diagram G7 Bogie Transhipment Vans

The tweaked ex-N.E.R. Diagram G7 25 Ton Bogie transhipment Vans.

Above, the L.N.E.R. pre-1937 and post-1937 ex-works liveries.

the L.N.E.R. post-1937 weathered and heavily weathered liveries.

Last edited:
N.E.R. G7 ATB Fitted Indian Red livery

My latest interpretation of the N.E.R. "Indian Red" livery applied to ATB fitted vans and wagons.

CIC PO Wagon - Reskin

Hello Rob

Thanks for the kind words. I am also putting a toe in the water reskinning one of John Whelan's wagons, a 16ft 7 Plank in to an ersatz Private Owner 7 Plank 10 Ton Consett Iron Company wagon. Early days with it at the moment.

PO CIC 7 Plank 10T Wagon 145

Hello Annie

Re #649 - Thanks for that.

I have progressed with the PO CIC Wagon Number 145.
Marked up Return to Langley Pk Coll.

I plan to make a batch of these with different numbers and return destinations and I need to ask John if I can upload them to the DLS.

John is usually fine about uploading reskins, but he does like to be asked first and to have his work acknowledged in the config file. I have various pre-grouping reskins I've done using John's wagons on the DLS; - mostly for the GER.

1920 - Lanchester Goods

North East England during the steam era. A Worsdell P3 Class 0-6-0 brings goods train through Lanchester on its way to Ferryhill yard via Bridge House Junction. At the head of the train are empty Consett Iron Company coal wagons returning to the Company's colliery at Langley Park. While the Iron Company had long enjoyed the privilige of running rights over the N.E.R.'s Consett branch between Carr House and Eden Hill Colliery by Leadgate it did not enjoy the same priviliges on the Lanchester valley branch.

N.E.R. 2 x 10 Ton Diagram D5/T Twin Bolsters

Thanks Ian.

Some N.E.R. 2 x 10 Ton Diagram D5/T twin bolsters behind the P3 loco on the E.C.M.L. circa 1920. The Kimblesworth Colliery branch comes in from the left.

1920: NER Worsdell P1 Class 0-6-0 Park Lane to Darlington Freight Working

North East England durng the steam era. N.E.R. W. Worsdell P Class 0-6-0 number 1986 of Gateshead Borough Gardens finds itself on turn 33, the 7:02 p.m. Gateshead Park Lane to Darlington. This working conveys Road Wagon number 33 from Park lane to Darlington. Arrival at Darlington is 9:03 p.m. which is a leisurely 2 hours and one minute to cover thirty-six miles. The 1915 Northern Division Goods Engine Working Timetable shows no stopover at Ferryhill Up yard for this train, though it would have passed through on the up goods line. Either the ECML via Team Valley or the Leamside line were viable alternatives for the working. Even running via the Durham coast line and taking the line for Darlington at Eaglescliffe would have been possible since the train terminated at Darlington (possibly the goods sidings east of Bank Top station) rather than "Croft Junction" (Croft yard) to the south of Darlington.

Worsdell's P Class (later J25) were built from 1900 to 1902 and were, essentially, the W. Wilson P Class (J24) 4ft7 1/4in wheelset with a T.W. Worsdell C Class (J21) 4ft 3in Diagram 67 boiler. This gave the P1 a tractive effort of 21,904lb compared to the 19,141lbs of the saturated P Class and 19,237lbs of the saturated C Class. 18 1/2in x 26 in cylinders were fitted (18in x 24 in on the P Class and 19in x 24in on the C Class). W. Wilson's largest 0-6-0, the 1906 P3 Class (J27) had a tractive effort of 24,642lbs. While the one hundred and twenty P1 Class built between 1898 and 1902 started out as heavy mineral and general goods engines the arrival of the P2 Class and P3 Class 0-6-0s along with the T Class 0-8-0 to handle ever-growing train weights supplanted them. They gradually found themselves on transfer trips and local goods trains with a wide dispersal around N.E.R. sheds at the grouping. While some were withdrawn during the lean years of the 1930s most lasted through WWII but were very run down by the end of it. However, around a dozen saw in 1960, with the last few going to scrap in 1962.

While longer than the usual fare of transfer trip working around Tyneside and Wearside, the load is within its capabilities. Here 1986 passes Chester Moor Signal Cabin to the south of Chester le Street, which controls access to Chester Moor Colliery.

On the ECML Up line between Chester Moor and Plawsworth station.

Passing the southern end of Kimblesworth Colliery exchange sidings between Plawsworth station and Newton Hall. Today virtually no trace remains of either Plawsworth station or Kimblesworth Colliery sidings. One or two Colliery buildings do survive at Kimblesworth and are visible from the A167 (formerly "The Great North Road", the A1).

In the second picture Frank just how many wagons do you have in that train? It looks like they go all the way around that curve and disappear off into the distance.

Hello Annie

The limit on the ECML was 80 wagons (hoppers counting as 1.2 wagons), though the limit through Newcastle was 50 - a serious constraint on heavy trains and considered by some to be a factor wasting a degree of the N.E.R.'s investment in eight-coupled locos, since a 50 wagon limit was well within the limit of a P3 (J27). A P3 Class was significantly cheaper to build than a T2 Class. The P1 Class (J25) limit was 66 wagons and since Park Lane to Darlington does not involve transit through Newcastle that is what is on the rear. There is a descent at an average of 1 in 240 from King Edward Bridge to Low Fell in the Team Valley but then it is a rising grade, at 1 in 231, 198 and 150 for much of the way from Low Fell to just south of Kimblesworth Colliery Junction. The ECML altitude just south of Low Fell station is 50 feet while at Durham it is 230 ft. The climb to Relly Mill takes it to 286ft ( 1 in 101 from Durham station) but then it is downhill to Croxdale at 195ft. Ferryhill stands at 258ft, with 280ft reached north of Bradbury station. Darlington is at 159ft. This means that the P1 Class is working quite hard at Chester Moor and will get help from the large tank engine assigned to banking duties at Durham station. The driver will be hoping for a clear road through the 1 in 120 through Durham station as the 1 in 101 starts at the south end of the viaduct. Being brought to a stop at the station will risk a broken coupling trying to get the train started again, especially on wet days.

In contrast, the Leamside route (the "old main line") between Gateshead and Ferryhill via Washington only peaks at 1 in 188 between spells of 1 in 277 and 1 in 250 between Fencehouses and Leamside stations. There is another spell on 1 in 188 between Leamside station and Belmont junction with 1 in 198 through Shincliffe. The Leamside line from Park lane to Ferryhill would probably have been the fireman's preferred choice.

Talking of broken couplings, I watched the TV news yesterday reporting on heavy snow at Bishop Auckland and it showed a Land Rover using chains to try and bring a stranded articulated lorry (a tractor trailer combination in DfT speak) off the verge where it was stuck. As soon as I saw him rev up I knew that he was going to snap the chains by snatching and that is what they did, with the chain whiplashing right under the Land Rover. I know of deckhands being decapitated with snapping ropes and chain on anchor handlers and taking load is preferably done steadily, not sharply. Putting a heavy dynamic loading on rope, chain or wire rarely ends well. The chain end would be capable of punching through his sump pan or smashing his differential casing when it whiplashed under his vehicle.

Last edited:
Back