North East England - Steam Days Screenshots - Large Screenshots Possible

Ken, Rob and Annie, thanks for your comments.
As to what is next I am not sure.
We will have to see what sparks my interest, though I have a lot going on in the real world outside of Trainz right now.

1922 - P3 Class taking coals to Newcastle

A saying took hold over a hundred years ago, "Like taking coals to Newcastle" to represent something unnecessary, since Newcastle had an abundance of coal. However, as with many folksy sayings, the real world truth was rather more complicated. Coal and its quality varies tremendously and some grades are suited to uses better than others. Coal from the Northumberland coal field was suitable for furnaces, with coal from Shilbottle having such a high calorific value that it was selected to be burned at Buckingham Palace. Coal from the Durham coal field was suited for coking and for use at gasworks to generate Town Gas. This meant that loaded coal trains crossed the Tyne in both directions. Northumberland coal heading south for industrial furnaces and power stations while Durham coal went north to supply gas works. There was also a geographic difference regarding motive power too. South of the Tyne 4-coupled 0-8-0 locos ruled the mineral traffic roost in County Durham, with the T2 (later LNER Q6) being the most numerous, while north of the Tyne large 0-6-0s dominated, with the P3 top of the pile. This domination by both types would last through both the LNER period and BR period, right up to the end of steam in the North East, outliving many younger classes of engine.

Number 2338, a P3 new from works in December 1921, so one of Raven's batch, hauls a loaded coal train up the bank from Teams, headed for the King Edward Bridge and then past Newcastle Central on the avoiding lines to the south of the station. This size of 0-6-0 was barely in Wilson Worsdell's mind in 1902, with his then newly built P1 Class (J25) just finished building, but he would start turning out the P2 only two years later with its 5ft6in diameter boiler and his first batch of P3s would appear in 1906.

As with so much to do with the N.E.R. Worsdell was continually grappling with the demand of ever growing coal tonnages. This meant that the wagons grew too, with the 15 Ton Diagram P6 and the 20 Ton Diagram P7 appearing from 1902. Some 1,176 P6s were in service in 1922, with a further 611 uprated to 17 Tons with oil axle boxes and over 17,000 P7s in service by the same date. By 1927 there were 5,484 of the P6 type in service.

Last edited:
Worsdell 32ft 6-Wheel Van Third Carriage

The latest example of occasional postcard-style screenshots of North Eastern Railway items. This one, of the 6-wheel 32ft long 3-compartment Van Third is a Diagram 19 carriage.

One hundred and fourteen were built between 1887 and 1892, making them slightly less common than the one hundred and sixty-two examples of the 2-compartment 6-w Diagram 20. The Diagram 19 seated thirty Third Class passengers compared to the twenty of the Diagram 20, but at the expense of losing a significant amount of van space. However, the 3-compartment type would be useful on local services where van space was not in the same demand as it would be on long distance services, where baggage nearly always accompanied long-distance travellers, and in vast quantities compared to today. George Earl's paintings of Kings Cross passengers in 1893 and Perth passengers in 1895 give you an idea of the long distance traveller, in Earl's case of the shooting exodus to Scotland.

The usual practise of the N.E.R. was to "book end" passenger train consists with Van Thirds, with sometimes a Van Composite being utilised on specific traffic flows. If a particular train allocated a pair of Diagram 19s required more van space the company could draw on the 198 examples of Diagram 21 6-w Luggage vans.

The early colour process is a product of the Lumiere brothers and dates from 1904, a dozen years on from the building of the last diagram 19 and almost a decade after 52ft bogie carriages began to appear on N.E.R. long distance express passenger services. The Diagram 19s were probably not rostered to express passenger trains in any numbers but were more likely to be in shorter distance ordinary passenger trains. However, the increasing numbers of 52ft (and 49ft) bogie carriages eventually began to displace them. The 1926 LNER NE Area Carriage Roster is the closest one to NER days which survives and by then very, very few 6w carriages were present in the consists. This does not mean that they were all scrapped by then though. The company had a large excursion and party business to service and the Diagram 19s would have been felt to be a good fit, particularly for short distances. By around 1906 the company were building carriages specifically tailored for excursion work, party work and immigration traffic, but these were never built in sufficient numbers to eliminate the practise of utilising older but serviceable carriages in the company's rolling stock pool.

Last edited:
1949 - Newcastle and an Evening Drab Brown Train For Sunderland

North East England during the early BR steam era. Early 1950s and early evening passengers for all stations to Sunderland find that their ride home will be behind a G5 0-4-4T hauling a set of pre-grouping former NER carriages wearing plain brown drab paint. A 52ft diagram 121 Lav Compo provides "the best seats in the house" with five First Class and Two Third Class compartments. where two of each class have access to a lavatory via a short corridor. The set is book-ended with two diagram 76 4-compartment Brake Thirds and the fourth carriage is an elderly 52ft diagram 14 Third. It approximates to the Newcastle Link C sets older passengers would have ridden in forty years previously.

The LNER applied brown teak paint to former NER carriages, which was lined out until the economies forced on the company in 1929, when ordinary passenger stock was painted in unlined teak paint as it went through works. Even worse was to come in 1940, when plain brown paint was applied, again unlined. Upon nationalisation in 1948 British Railways in the North East did not alter the livery of pre-grouping stock, probably because they did not repaint many between 1948 and 1953, when almost all pre-grouping stock had been withdrawn from scheduled passenger services in the NE Region.

1901 - NER M Class 4-4-0 Compound At Speed

When travelling on the ECML through County Durham in the steam era one was never far from a colliery.

The Worsdell/Smith M Class compound passes Chester Moor Colliery between Chester-le-Street and Plawsworth on the ECML with an up express passenger train.

1912 - Bread and Butter work for a Worsdell C Class 0-6-0

I have had a request to help out with carriage and loco allocations related to Northallerton circa 1912. I have found that with six fitted C Class 0-6-0s on shed at Starbeck shed at the grouping then it is likely that they showed up on passenger services along the Leeds Northern line between Leeds, Harrogate, Northallerton and Eaglescliffe. It became a feature for many passenger services heading north from Harrogate to work via Eaglescliffe to Stockton, West Hartlepool and Sunderland. Contrary to expectations, it seems that the favoured route north of Ripon for passenger trains was to "take a right" at Melmerby and proceed to Northallerton via Thirsk and the ECML.

Here, a fitted saturated C1 Class heads south towards Northallerton on the 1.35 pm stopping train from West Hartlepool to Northallerton. It is No.1607, which was not one of the "Starbeck six", but I don't currently have one of them. She is however a fitted C1 Class in saturated condition and fitted with piston valves. This was the configuration of one of the six (No.579) with the signature "piano lid" cover beneath the smokebox. The saturated C1 Class with slide valves had flat rectangular covers beneath the smokebox. The superheated C Class had an extended smokebox and saddle but the start of Raven starting the process of superheating was two years away in 1912. In 1912 there were still two C Class compounds in existence and they, technically, were the NER C Class. The simples were the NER C1 Class. In 1913 when the last compound C Class was rebuilt as a simple all simples became C Class.

Starbeck shed turn 2 worked the 10.22 am passenger train from Harrogate to Sunderland as far as West Hartlepool. With a round trip to Hartlepool over lunchtime it was sent back south on the 1.35pm stopping passenger train to Northallerton. After arrival there at 2.43 pm the loco would lay over until 3.20 pm and then head back to Harrogate via Otterington, Thirsk, Melmerby and Ripon. I have chosen to have this train made up of five six-wheel carriages, which was still relatively widespread in 1912, but under relentless withdrawal. Whether the set continued on to Harrogate with the loco is currently unknown to me. The set is book ended with two 3-compartment 32ft Dgm 19 Van Thirds. Inside are two 32ft Dgm 15 Thirds and a 34ft Dgm 10 Composite. with 3 First and two Third compartments. This provided 24 First Class and 180 Third Class seats. Unless it was a Saturday I doubt that the train was even half-full as it arrived at Northallerton.

By 1923 the 10.22 am to Sunderland had gone, though there was a 10.0 am train from Harrogate to Northallerton, with one stop at Ripon. The 1926 carriage roster shows that service to have been a four-carriage Harrogate Link A set. This was a four-carriage set book ended with 4-compartment 52ft Van Thirds. Inside were a 52ft Third and a 52ft Lav Compo with 5 First and 2 Third Class compartments. Hauling this was well within the capabilities of a fitted C1 Class simple.

Last edited:
1908 - McDonnel 59 Class and a Stopping Passenger

The previous screenshot has an alternative to the C1 Class, a McDonnell 59 Class 0-6-0 (later J22).

McDonnell's arrival as N.E.R. Engineer following Fletcher's retirement was meant to bring in an era of more powerful engines and standardisation. His efforts did not meet expectations and he resigned quite quickly. One of his products was the 59 Class 0-6-0, which neither surpassed Fletcher's 398 Class nor was standardised! The first 32 were built at Darlington in four batches of 8 between September 1883 and September 1888. They had scalloped running boards over the leading and driving axles and predominantly provided with 5ft 1in wheels. Bizarrely, Darlington turned out two with 5ft 7 1/2 in wheels, which was hardly standardisation. Matters did not improve in that regard with the dozen engines built by contractor R, Stephenson & Co. between October 1884 and March 1885. This batch had longer frames, straight running plate. Wilson Worsdell reboilered the class between 1896 and 1904, though the boiler pitch differed between Darlington and Stephenson engines.

All forty-four of the class reached the grouping, though the L.N.E.R. quite quickly began withdrawing them. However, being fitted with westinghouse brake and steam heating connection they were in demand for passenger trains at peak times, such as summer Saturdays. Starbeck shed had one on allocation, No.491, a Darlington built engine and I have it standing in for a failed C1 Class 0-6-0 on the rostered working which began at 10.22 am with the passenger train from Harrogate to West Hartlepool.

Last edited:
1905 - An O Class and a Newcastle Link C Set

Taking an O Class 0-4-4T out for a run with a Newcastle Link C set made up of 52ft clerestory roof carriages.

The new addition is the second carriage in the rake, a Diagram 74 Lav Compo with 5 First and 2 Third Class compartments.
Thirty-three were built in 1903-4.
In 1906 the company added a further 52ft Lav Compo (5-2), an elliptical roof Diagram 121, following up with another in 1907.
Three years then elapsed before a final tranche of four Diagram 121s appeared in 1910.
Under the LNER both diagrams were under the code XCL(5-2).

1906 NER 52ft Lav Compo Diagram 122

Another in an occasional posting of N.E.R. carriages in the style of vintage postcards of the early 2oth century. This time it is an elliptical roof 52ft Lav Compo to Diagram 122 with four First Class and three Third Class compartments.

The main example of the type within the company was the clerestory roof Diagram 5 carriage, of which 138 were built between 1896 and 1905. However come 1906 the new Diagram 122 was introduced with an elliptical roof. Five examples built that year. Four years were to elapse until in 1910 the company required three more. The CL(4-3) type (LNER Code XCL(4-3)) was the type assigned to the main line consists, which were not the company's premier express passenger trains but the sets plying local passenger services predomnantly along the East Coast Main Line between York and Edinburgh, though they could be seen off the ECML at Alnwick and Consett. They were also found in consists based at Leeds and Hull.

Like their other pre-grouping siblings BR had dispensed with them from scheduled passenger trains by 1953, with one or two seen in departmental use during the 1960s as storage or as yard accomodation for staff.

I am very late to this thread which I could have found long ago. Although I am very familiar with the locomotive types that operated on the BR North Eastern (lived in York in the 1940s and 50s — within the streaks whistle range!) I am not familiar with the carriage types used (though I do remember being in non-corridor coaches on the York to Whitby route, likely in the late 40s). Since 2015 I have been slowly making a layout I'm calling the Whitby, Pickering & Scarborough Railway, based in BR steam days, and it was whilst looking for new assets that I came across hiskey and that has led me here. I was in the process of saying that I don't know how to post an image, but I think now I have found out how and will when I get organized. In the meantime thanks for all the beautiful images of NE locos and coaches.

WP&SR: Overview from south of Whitby looking down the Esk Valley.

https://imgur.com/9lclrcT

OK, so that didn't work!

Obviously I need help!

Edited attempt:

Esk Valley1.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome David. Your route looks great, it will take a little to understand the forums. Most of the locos and coaches you see are made by me, an Englishman living in the USA. I have been modelling in Trainz since 2005 in all the versions so can usually equip fellow Trainzers with the goods to make their routes more realistic, be it locos, coaches, wagons or scenery. Have a look on the download station (DLS) for some of my signal boxes for your area, NE England.

This thread was created by borderreiver (Frank) from your neck of the woods and contributed by JackDownUnder (Jack) in Australia, who are both working on their NE England routes and big users of my items (they commissioned them). Kotanagirl is from New Zealand and is also building routes. Often these will end up on the DLS so all can enjoy.

Last edited:
Hello David

Thanks for swinging by. As Paul already explained, he has built a great deal of content for me over the past ten years. As with most lines, the Pickering to Whitby route via Grosmont changed significantly between 1900 and 1950. If you rode in a non-corridor carriage after 1952 then the odds are it was either a Thomspon era carriage (which Paul has built several examples for me) or a Gresley era carriage (which so far I have not got round to have Paul build for me).

Around 1899 the NER built a range of 45ft bogie carriages with clerestory roof specifically for the Pickering to Whitby and the locomotives permitted on the line were restricted to only a few types "due to the curvature of the line". After 1904 some 49ft arc roof carriages began to appear after being cascaded from their previous stamping ground of North Tyneside. This was due to electrification. The restrictions relating to locomotives remained in force. Around 1910 through carriages from London Kings Cross began to appear, with one set being provided by the NER and one set provided by the GNR. Again, the restrictions on the classes of locomotives on the line remained.

It was down to the LNER to ease restrictions on the locos, driven by the scrapping of elderly former NER locos. It has never been determined what, if any, measures were taken to "ease the curvature" which were allegedly the reason for the NER era restrictions.

2lU8aag

WP&SR. A view of Grosmont station and the two tunnels, the left-hand one being the original tunnel for the Whitby & Pickering coach service and which likely led to the community initially being called Tunnel. This tunnel remained open aas a pedestrian route to cottages and the signal box at Deviation Junction, and it's current use is as a passageway to the NYMR shed (50H!).

Thanks to both borderriever and barn700 for information. However, I seem to lack the skill to install a photograph into the thread page itself. Help in this would be appreciated. I am using the 'insert image' which leads to nothing being inserted!

Well, this seems to have worked!

SlBl6Gq.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Dave - log in to your imgur.com account and click on images, click on one of your images and a dialgue box should open. The bottom entry has the link for message boards and forums. Copy it.
Paste it in to your forum post.

Back