Page 63 of 64 FirstFirst ... 135361626364 LastLast

Thread: North East England - Steam Days Screenshots - Large Screenshots Possible

Thanks for these fascinating narratives borderreiver - it's like having a free magazine subscription for one of my favourite areas. However, you're getting as bad as evilcrow for including killer assets in your screenshots. I hate to trouble you but could I ask what the houses are in #915 / #919, and the bridge / wall in #920 /924? I can't place them. Many thanks.
    Member of trainz-carriage-wagon-works

Hello Neville

Regarding your queries:

The houses in #915 & 919 are Masontaylor's MTK6 Brick Terrace Pair with Back Yards <kuid:252585:2412560>, which I think should be on the DLS
    The bridge in #920 and 924 are built up by myself from bits and pieces, including;
    Bridge kit Side Girder 2.4m Rusty by tmz06003 (built-in),
    Sam VS bank 12m from the DLS
    A sandstone reskin of the built-in Cronos1981 BG Stone Wall 7p in to a SAM VS Style stone wall using a Nexusdj sandstone texture. the asset is not available on the DLS.
    The wall in #924 is a reskin of the FMA Bridge Stone Wall 5m using a Nexusdj sandstone texture and again, is not available on the DLS.

Many thanks for the detailed reply. I thought I didn't recognise the masonry. Very nicely done.
    Member of trainz-carriage-wagon-works

Default 1921 - A North Eastern Summer

North East England during the steam era.
    1921 and things are getting back to normal.
    This is the year that the government returned control to the railway companies, but by the end of next year the grouping will overtake all of them.
    I am in the very early stages of working on this area, and even in the area around the screenshots there is a lot of work to do.
    I know one person who should guess the location as soon as they see it and a few others might guess it quickly too.

It is a small route extracted from a huge DEM I am putting together piece by piece for NE England, with the intention of exporting it and then trimming off sections as I need them.

Not sure of the location but that turntable looks really nice. Good luck witht eh route build.

taillight, the turntable is GWR 65ft Turntable, <kuid2:248163:100251:2> an asset by 2995Valiant, bought as payware almost ten years ago from www.brtrainz.co.uk and I think the site has gone.
    Last edited by borderreiver; April 19th, 2021 at 02:17 PM.

It certainly looks very nice & I like the style of it. Over the week end have been reading about Gresley pidgeon brake coaches being the last to Gresley design built. I spotted there is a non corridor varnished teak version on the North Norfolk line so that got me researching them. Also this week end see a Gresley brake has been working on the SVR with roof board Newcastle- Cardiff - Swansea a working you have referred to on here.

Default 1921 - An N.E.R. Summer

Some more shots on the approaches to Scarborough, this time a Worsdell O class 0-4-4T in charge of a local train.

A view of Gasworks SB from the cab.

Passing Scarborough N.E.R. roundhouse shed

Passing Londesborough Road Excursion station, built on the former site of Scarborough goods depot, which was moved to a site to the west of Falsgrave tunnel on the line to Whitby..

Default 1946 - Newcastle Misty Morning Departure

Northeast England during the steam era. Early post-WWI at Newcastle on a misty morning.

An A8 4-6-2T stands in one of the west end bays on a local passenger train.

Viewed from one of the through platforms, the A8 departs on the passenger train, passing a D20 waiting to depart for Carlisle.

The A8 starts to negotiate the complex pointwork at the end of the west end bays.

Looking east, the A8 taking the former Newcastle & Carlisle metals heading for Elswick and Scotswood.

looking west, the A8 at the same point as above.

Default 1919 ECML: Glasgow bound in Northumberland

Northumberland in North East England during the first post-WWI summer. The N.E.R. Leeds to Glasgow express passenger service habitually changed locomotives at Newcastle but today's haulage is a change from the normal fare. Sighted north of Acklington station, a North British Reid "H" Class Atlantic had found itself at Newcastle after bringing an Up ECML express from Edinburgh Waverley on a route knowledge working and the district passenger superintendent at Newcastle has used the down Glasgow as a means to take the H Class home. A second H Class crew from Haymarket or St Margaret's can maintain their route knowledge by providing the loco for the return up working of the set as far as Newcastle later this evening.

At the head of the train is the Diagram 209 BTK(3) built during WWI in 1916. The construction of this carriage meant that the N.E.R. increased its total of 3-compartment corridor van thirds to five. Three Diagram 157s built during 1908, a Diagram 194 built in 1912 and a Diagram 209 built in 1916. All are 53ft6in length but both the Diagram 194 and 209 have external doors in their compartments.During early 1924 the L.N.E.R. would go on to build several more Diagram 209s for use on the G.E. Section. These had slighlty modified details compared to the 1916 original.
    Last edited by borderreiver; April 27th, 2021 at 01:59 PM.

Default 1936 - CIC A class hauling coal

Consett, in north east England during the steam era. Consett iron Company A Class 0-6-0PT at Delves lane level crossing moving coal from the Medomsley branch bound for the Fell Coke Works.

Default 1921 - Activity at Batts Iiron Foundry, Ruswarp, Yorkshire

North East England during the steam era. We are on a visit to North Yorkshire on what is now the Esk valley line, but back in 1921 was the N.E.R. Whitby branch. A W Class 4-6-2T is hauling the morning train to York via Grosmont, Pickering, Rillington Junction and Malton. A set of arc roof 49ft carriages makes up the train.

Despite being roughly halfway between Whitby and Ruswarp both the Whitby Gas Company works and Batts Iron Foundry are rather remote, with no road access apparent to either of them. Today, Water Lane accesses the former site of the foundry but the 1911 OS 25 inch does not show any road past Garden House, several hundred metres to the southwest. The 1948 1:25,000 map also shows no road or track to the site. There were a couple of footpaths and steps, such as Fitts Steps to the foundry from (very much) higher ground near Prospect Hill. Today, various sheds and huts on the site of the gasworks appear to only have access from the water by slipways. Just how the gas works employees made their way to and from the works is not clear to me. There might be a narrow footpath along the riverbank on the 1911 OS 25 inch map which emerges at the vicinity of Bog Hall SB. Today, if there is a trackway it is inside the railway boundary fence and is difficult to make out, if it is there at all, The northern end would seem to have to negotiate access through a private boatyard.

In the background is the magnificent Larpool viaduct, which carries the Scarborough to Saltburn line. Whitby Town station was connected to it by a steeply graded line between Whitby Bog Hall and Prospect Hill junctions, though passengers had to be carried for several hundred metres further north to Whitby West Cliff station before reversing for Scarborough.
    Last edited by borderreiver; May 10th, 2021 at 09:50 PM.

Superb shot and info.

Cheers, Ken

Yes that's one very nice screenshot.
    Narcolepsy is not napping.

Thank you very much for the kind comments. They are appreciated. The locale is produced in TRANSDEM from a 2m LIDAR DEM and a combination of 25 inch and 6 inch OS maps from the NLS. Some filling in from the OS 50m DEM is required as the OS rather snootily declined my application for a 5m Digital Terrain Model DEM package. I have been using the NER Gradient profiles from the NERA and it seems that this data also forms the basis for what appears in the Middleton press range of books on the East Coast Main line etc. However, the caution at the start of the NERA profiles by two NERA members with railway survey experience is manifestly warranted. The gradient from Bog Hall to Prospect Hill is 1:53 in the book but rather more like 1:45.5! Another glaring issue is the gradient north from Sandsend to the portal of Sandsend tunnel. The gradient profile says 1:57 whereas it is closer to 1:37. The 1:57 leaves the line 18m too low at the tunnel portal!!!! The 2m DTM is just not that inaccurate, since the cutting in the terrain leading to it is clearly visible on the DEM.

The limits of the DEM do play a part, since at each 2m sample point there is a range of vertical tolerance (1m in a 50m DEM, not sure what it is for the 2m DEM), though the DTM is overall rather consistent. Whitby Town is at an accurate DTM altitude.

I am experimenting with some concept partial/mini-routes. The DEM of NER territory in Yorkshire is at 16Gb and makes the gaming laptop work its socks off. The georeferenced raster maps aren't that far off 16Gb either. That is for the county. not a trainz route. Eventually, I intend to at least try and assemble a single DEM for the north of England (estimate 36 GB) and then produce an NER base route. From this I can extract sections which will all have the same origin in order to match up Trainz baseboards.

By doing this I am evaluating whether to suspend work on my NW Durham route (built initially in 2010 and based on a 2008/2010 era 1 second arc/50m DEM) and start work on the route working from a 2019 2m DEM. There is just too much work to do on the 50m vintage DEM route to bring it closer to modern standards and even then it is underneath still the 2008/2010 model.
    Last edited by borderreiver; Yesterday at 07:46 AM.