North East England - Steam Days Screenshots - Large Screenshots Possible

Newton Hall Junction ECML 1922

Northeast England during the steam era. A section of the Trainz built-in ECML route from TS12 rolled back to the steam era. Here at Newton Hall Junction to the north east of Durham on the southern end of the NER's 1870 "Team Valley Extension" traffic goes on as normal for a summer Saturday at the beginning of the 1920s. Originally, the line through Durham was built as the Bishop Auckland branch from Auckland Junction on the "Old" East Coast Main Line through Leamside, but the NER had determined during the 1860s that traffic from Durham for Newcastle was best served by a new line running from Gateshead through Chester le Street to Durham. By the time it was completed in 1870 the NER had already determined to push on south from the Bishop Auckland branch at Relly Mill Junction to a point on the Leamside line later called Tursdale Junction and in 1872 this resulted in the ECML route through Durham which remains to this day. Newton Hall Junction however, would cease to be part of the ECML in 1970 and is no longer with us. On closure of the line between Newton Hall Junction and Auckland Junction in the late 1960s British Rail diverted the ECML at a point slightly to the to the west of Newton Hall to produce a curve with a higher maximum speed. In steam days the ECML was limited to 50 mph around the curve which brought the Team valley extension to the junction.

A rather neglected Raven S2 4-6-0 of York shed takes a race special through the junction bound for Newcastle. Horse traffic, and particularly race traffic, was a valuable source of revenue for the NER and LNER. The owners, horses and grooms would have passed by earlier in the day. Horseboxes, with first class coaches for the owners' parties and third class coaches for "other ranks". The NER would turn out a saloon along with lavatory composites and lavatory brake composite for the owners (pure first class coaches being very rare beasts). The S2 may have spent some time at Gateshead shed, which was notorious even in NER days for being somewhat laggardly in cleaning engines. I have not found out why a shed allocated top link locomotives was allowed to get away with this kind of neglect at a time when spit and polish was almost a religious act. Blaydon was another shed which was miserly in its use of cleaning materials.

Once the special has cleared the junction a ordinary stopping passenger train in the care of a TW Worsdell veteran C Class 0-6-0 comes off the down slow line and takes the Sunderland branch. The train is made up of arc roof 49ft stock originally built for the North Tyneside commuter services and was displaced around 1905 when the lines were electrified.

Even on Saturdays, at least during the mornings, coal traffic was present. Here a Raven T2 0-8-0 comes off the double track ECML is hauling empties, possibly bound for the Waterhouses branch or Aldin Grange on the Lanchester branch and takes the Up slow line to continue on its way to Durham.

Excellent screenshots and historic details borderreiver. Now I know why you textured your S2 to look a bit mucky.

In an age where we take mechanical/automated vehicle washing for granted and rarely give more than a second thought about detergents it can be hard to envisage a time when cleaning was done manually with a brush and buckets of water. Liquid soap was invented in 1865 by B.J.Johnson Company and they changed their name to Palmolive after the success of their product. However, it was around 1900 before other brands were developed such as Pine-Sol which could clean items other than skin. These liquids worked better with hot water, which was more readily available inside sheds than the outdoor carriage sidings. It was a labour-intensive process and compared to today, slow too. With coal dust, lubricating oil, grease and ash around locomotives it must have been a constant battle to keep things clean. Engine cleaners were, typically, 14-year old boys (small stature helped when it came to getting inside the firebox to clean and rake it out (while the boiler was still hot btw)). I talked with a female crew member on Union of South Africa several years ago and she said that she was able to get in and out of the firebox. To me it looked like a real challenge. So, while I have not yet found a record of why Gateshead was so lax about keeping its locos (or many of its locos) in a sparkling condition, it might be that the resources budgeted for the task never measured up to the scale of the operation. Those resources might include labour, materials, space or allocated time.

LNER NE AREA 1947 - Relly Mill Jcn

Northeast |England during the steam era. 1947 at Relly Mill Junction on the ECML in County Durham. Gresley A4 number 3 brings the down FLYING SCOTSMAN past the signal box marking the junction of the Bishop Auckland and Lanchester Valley branches.

Brand new Thompson coaches graced the newly-reintroduced service but the catering coaches were not ready, so a Gresley triplet was inserted and can be seen towards the rear of the train.

While 1948 would see the new Thompson catering coaches in use the newly formed British Railways would use the set for only one year on the Scotsman. In 1949 they would take the two sets and form the new express service THE CAPITALS LIMITED with the stock.

By 1953 a name change was applied to THE CAPITALS LIMITED and it became THE ELIZABETHAN.

Last edited:
Nice shots and interesting narrative. May I ask if the bogies on the Thompson coaches are prototypical? They appear to be a little too short (in post #384, picture 1) but perhaps that's just an illusion created by the wide angle of the shot.

Rob.

Hello Jack, re post #387 - Chrisaw is my current "go-to guy" for signals and I believe that he does excellent work. He has very kindly been doing some NER/LNER/M&H ones for the DLS. His Sig LSWR gantries are also a useful stand in for NER lattice posts.

LNER NE Area - Durham 1928

Northeast England during the steam era. 1928 post-grouping and one of Gresley's D49/1 Shires is hauling a down passenger train in the vicinity of Durham. This is a County Durham portion of the TS12 built-in ECML, rolled back to the steam era.

Crossing Relly Mill Viaduct.

Emerging from the cutting SW of Durham station.

Approaching the viaduct's southern end

Reedsmouth Junction 1918

It has been a while since we have found ourselves in rural Northumberland. During 1918 at Reedsmouth Junction on the North British Railway in the North Tyne valley one of Hawick shed's Scott 4-4-0s stands in the down platform with the afternoon train from Hawick to Newcastle. The NBR C Class in the branch platform has brought a branch passenger train in from Scots Gap, the single platform junction station on the Wansbeck branch for the towns of Rothbury and Morpeth. The coach is formed by a single brake third and it likely won't have been even half full. The junction's exchange sidings are indicative of a healthy goods business, which is greatly enhanced by the presence of the large army training camp at Otterburn, several miles away from the Wansbeck branch station of West Woodburn. The Armstrong company gun range nearby also generates traffic.

South Pelaw Junction 1946

North East England during the steam era. South Pelaw Junction on a cloudy summer day.

A grimy Q6 hauls a train of loco coal and sand for Consett Shed. Coming off the chord from the ECML's Ouston Junction and the road is set for the Consett branch. The Q6 is travelling without a banker so the load is limited to seven 21T Loco coal wagons and a 12T open wagon loaded with sand. The spoil heap of South Pelaw Colliery looms over the junction while a Q7 0-8-0 simmers in the siding awaiting its next banking duty on an ore train bound for Consett.

A V1 2-6-2T brings a branch passenger train from Blackhill via Consett, bound for Newcastle via Birtley.

Another grimy Q6 0-8-0 brings empties in to the exchange sidings at Stella Flats.

Thanks Kotangagirl and Robd. I have tinkered with a winter version of BCR Reedsmouth and Bellingham and I have no plans to release it in either TS12 or T:ANE since I am not really satisfied with it as a product.

Winter's Afternoon at Reedsmouth

Northeast England during the steam era. A winter's afternoon at Reedsmouth Junction sees NBR C Class 0-6-0 679 of Reedsmouth shed pottering about the station and turning ready for tomorrow's duties.

Don't forget that the C class has an optional snow plough. Find it in the submeshes bit of the options section of the properties dialogue.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Time has flown by since I last posted. I have had Paul do some upgrading for me, to the NER Diagram 116 Driving Van Composite used with the Fletcher BTP 0-4-4T locos from 1905.

The NER BTP Steam Autocar at Swalwell on the NER Derwent Valley Branch.

Mostly details such as the gas cutoff gear, the gas lamp piping, coach end fittings and autocoupling.

Back