North East England - Steam Days Screenshots - Large Screenshots Possible

borderreiver

Northeast England during the steam era. Here is a trailing view in pregrouping days just before World War I at South Pelaw Junction on the Consett branch. A North Eastern Railway T2 Class 0-8-0 is at the foot of Pelton bank on the 1896 deviation. A NER P Class 0-6-0 stands behind in the loops at Stella Gill with a train of coal bound for the coal staithes at Tyne Dock.

The gradients on the deviation via Beamish were as high as 1 in 37, meaning that loaded mineral trains either split in half at South Pelaw or took a banking locomotive as far as South Medomsley. The coal train is made up of NER wooden bodied coal hoppers of 10.5, 11, 12, 15 and 20 ton capacities. The brake van is a NER 10 Ton Diagram V1/3 "York Van" with its original lookout.

July 2017 - new link to imgur and T:ANE SP2 shot

Last edited:
LNER AUTOTRAIN AT BRANDON COLLIERY 1920S

Northeast England during the steam era. Here we are in the mid-1920s in the early LNER era. A LNER G6 Class 0-4-4T on an autotrain from Bishop Auckland to Sunderland comes to a halt at Brandon Colliery station. The G6 is a NER Bogie Tank Passenger (BTP) dating from Fletcher's days during the 1880s, fitted for autotrain work circa 1905 and here working with ex-NER 52ft Bogie Driving Van Composites to Diagram 116. They were converted from NER 52ft Van Thirds and the porthole driving windows were distinctive features. The G6 locos and Diagram 116 coaches were withdrawn by 1929 as the LNER introduced Sentinel and Clayton steam railcars. Some BTPs worked with purpose-built NER 52ft Driving van Composites to Diagram 161, built in 1907 and several of those coaches survived, finding use on push-pull services during the 1940s with G5 Class 0-4-4Ts. This is on my personal NW Durham route and is a work in progress. The branch passenger trains from Durham to Bishop Auckland had the nickname "The Brandon Bus".

July 2017 - new link to IMGUR and T:ANE SP2 shot.

Last edited:
BR (ex-LNER) Class N9 0-6-2T at Waldridge SB, Stella Gill

Northeast England during the steam era. Here is a BR ex-LNER N9 Class 0-6-2T (originally an NER N Class) during the early days of nationalisation with a rake of ex-LNER 20T steel coal hoppers standing at Waldridge signal box, Stella Gill. Looking east. The Stella Coke works are in the background with the 1896 deviation line to Consett climbing from South pelaw Junction behind it. By 1948 the old 1830s Stanhope and Tyne incline at East Stanley had been closed and lifted, but substantial flows coal traffic were still coming down the wagonway branches from Sacriston, Waldridge and Burnhope. During the 1950s the Beamish wagonway would be linked to the old S&T route at Grange Villa, allowing the closure of the lower section of the Beamish wagonway down past Ouston. this is on my personal NW Durham route, which is a work in progress.

July 2017 - new link to IMGUR and T:ANE SP2 shot

Last edited:
BR (ex-LNER) Q7 hauls iron ore past Durham Turnpike junction bound for Consett

Northeast England during the steam era. One of Raven's powerful NER T3 class during its BR existence as Class Q7. In the late 1940s post-nationalisation, number 63473 of Tyne Dock shed is on a duty associated with the class since WWII, the iron ore service from Tyne Dock to Consett. Here the loco is passing Durham Turnpike jcn en-route to South Pelaw jcn. It is hauling 21 Ton steel hoppers, not the 56 ton BR bogie hoppers, which will not appear for several more years. Almost a decade will elapse before the BR 9F 2-10-0s arrive to meet the challenge of taking 504 tons of ore in one trainload up to Consett. The hoppers are ex-Ministry of Supply, using heavy-duty underframes built by British wagon companies in early 1940 under an order from the French government for wagons to use in continental service for the BEF. The wagons never went to France but the urgent need for iron ore hoppers meant that the MOS assigned the LNER to use the undeframes and build 2,509 hoppers, the LNER extracting the promise that they would go in to LNER stock at the war's end. In 1945, 300 were allocated to Tyne Dock for the Consett ore traffic. The Q7 is a powerful eight coupled locomotive but it cannot lift this train from South Pelaw to Consett. The train will be split at South Pelaw junction and will use a banker to take twenty wagons holding 420 tons of ore up to Consett. When an iron ore ship was in dock the ore trains would depart from Tyne Dock bottom at roughly two-hourly intervals until the cargo was discharged.

The route is my personal one, NW Durham and is a work in progress.

July 2017 - new link to IMGUR and T:ANE SP2 shot.

Last edited:
Real Home Country for me, this! - I especially like the Q7.
The Brandon Bus brings me to one of my WIPs. I have just begun to adapt the ECML just south of Durham to steam days, in TANE, with a bit of modeller's licence!
It's very early days, and most of the textures need changing, but here is a screenshot. The A4 is on the main line, Darlington bound, whilst the A3 has been diverted via Bishop Auckland. In the background, a freight off the Consett line is heading for Bishop.
Screen%20Shot%202016-04-19%20at%2014.43.35_zps52ssynvt.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Another shot at Relly Mill Junction.
Screen%20Shot%202016-04-19%20at%2014.42.02_zpsudjqn3mv.png
[/URL][/IMG]

My other project is based on Chathill Junction in Northumberland, and an adaptation of the North Sunderland Railway
This is Chathill station, with an A1 in evidence, and G5 on the branch train in the bay.
Screen%20Shot%202016-03-07%20at%2017.27.49_zpsfgw8w2rb.png
[/URL][/IMG]

a G5 with the branch train to Seahouses passing Newham Mill.
Ian%20Hoseason%20160309%201_zpscgoa6zko.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

NCB Peckett 0-4-0T waits for BR Q6 at Oxhill Crossing, Stanley

Northeast England in the steam era. Here a former NER Raven T2 Class 0-8-0 during the 1950s in BR days as Q6 number 63346 hauls empty 20 ton steel hoppers over Oxhill level crossing on the old 1834 Stanhope & Tyne route in to the loop while a National Coal Board Pecket 0-4-0T waits at the end of Morrison Colliery exchange sidings. The T2/Q6 two cylinder locos had axle loadings which could cope with poorly laid and badly maintained colliery tracks and remained in use right to the end of steam in the northeast in 1967. By the BR period the old S&T route had been closed and lifted between East Stanley incline and the section called Pelton level. The Q6 could be taking loaded hoppers east down to Tyne Dock or west to Consett Fell coke works. Morrison Colliery remained open until the early 1970s.

July 2017 - Photobucket link deleted and changed to Imgur

Last edited:
Southbound LNER C7 4-4-2 on an Up ECML express at Chevington

Northeast England during the steam era. Here is one of Raven's NER Z Class 4-4-2 Atlantics, number 2208, during its time as LNER class C7 and heading south through Chevington on an Up ECML Express during the mid 1920s. Chevington was the junction station for the Amble branch passenger service. the service was an early closure, being discontinued as early as 1930, though Chevington was not closed to passengers until 1958. The Amble branch remained open for coal traffic to the docks until 1968 and was dismantled during 1970. The route is Chevington, a simple route from Amble to Chevington for my own use and is a work in progress.

July 2017 - Photobucket link changed to Imgur.

Last edited:
LNER J21 0-6-0 at Consett with a passenger train for Newcastle

Northeast England during the steam era. Here one of TW Worsdell's C Class 0-6-0 stands at Consett station during LNER days circa the mid-1920s. The LNER designated them as class J21. This is a superheated member of the class fitted with Westinghouse brake. The C class were compounds and the C1 class were simples, but W Worsdell rebuilt all his brother's C class as simples, rendering the C1 differential obsolete. Several members were superheated in pre-grouping days by Raven, getting a longer smokebox. The passenger service is from Blackhill to Newcastle via Stanley and the slow lines from Ouston to Low Fell. The consist is made up of 1900 vintage ex-NER 45ft Bogie clerestory coaches, a Third, Lavatory Composite and Van Third. This is my own route, NW Durham for my personal use and is a work in progress.

Last edited:
Ex-LMS 4P on football excursion passing Addison yard on the N&CR line

This is northeast England suring the steam era. Here is an ex-LMSR 4P 4-4-0 during the early 1950s in BR days, passing Addison yard with a football excursion special train from Carlisle to Hartlepool. Addison was a yard on the 1835 Newcastle and Carlisle Railway main line and situated to the west of Blaydon. the yard was built during the LNER period but it closed and lifted after BR opened the Tyne marshalling yard during the early 1960s.

Last edited:
Ex-NER locos In the yard at Ferryhill, County Durham

Northeast England during the steam era. Here are a trio of ex-NER locomotives in the sidings beside Ferryhill shed in County Durham during the post-grouping days of the 1920s. Number 1725, one of Worsdell's P1 Class 0-6-0 mineral engines (LNER class J25) stands in the yard along with number 76, a Worsdell B class 0-6-2T (LNER class N8) and a Worsdell L class 0-6-0T (LNER class J73). The J73 was originally a large six-coupled tank built for use on the steeply graded Newcastle Quayside and Redheugh branches but electrification of the Quayside line in the early 1900s saw them distributed elsewhere. The J73s at Ferryhill shed spent several years on banking duties up Kelloe bank towards Trimdon. the J25s were built by Worsdell to meet the demand of heavier coal trains at the end of the 1890s. This evolution would progress through the P2 (J26) and P3 (J27) and would culminate in the Raven eight coupled T2 class (Q6). The three-cylinder T3 class (Q7) was powerful but had an axle load which excluded it from colliery tracks. The B class (N8) was a design built to haul coal trains on short distances from collieries to the riverside staithes but were soon displaced by the various six-coupled tender engines produced as train weights grew through the 1890s. Several got westinghouse brakes for working fitted vans and empty coaching stock moves. This route is the County Durham section of the TS12 Kings Cross to Newcastle route which I have rebuilt for my personal use to represent it in the steam era.

Last edited:
BR A1 Pacific and B16/2 4-6-0 at Ferryhill on Up trains.

Northeast England during the steam era. Here in the early 1950s at Ferryhill No. 3 signal box a BR Peppercorn A1 4-6-2 Pacific number 60121 SILURIAN on an Up ECML express passenger train passes one of Raven's ex-NER S3 class in its guise as an ex-LNER B16 Part 2 4-6-0. The B16 was rebuilt by Gresley just prior to WWII. The passenger train has a mix of Thompson and Gresley stock with the new BR Carmine and Cream livery starting to make an appearance. Express Blue would soon be superseded by Brunswick Green. With coaches taking up to three years to be repainted, with locomotives gaining a repaint on workshop visits the period 1945 through 1968 could be as volatile for liveries and logos as we now have during the modern privatised era. This route is the County Durham section of the built-in TS12 Kings Cross to Newcastle route for my own use and rebuilt to reflect the steam era. It is a work in progress. There is an immense amount of track laying involved with rolling back to the steam era from 1975!

Last edited:
Ok, I just want to know this: how did you manage to edit a built-in route? From what I've heard and experienced, those can't be edited in TS 12 SP1 and T:ANE.

The ECML Built-in Route in TS12

I cloned, saved and then cropped down the ECML Kings Cross to Newcastle route quite some time ago, prior to the release of TS12 61388. I understand that such a technique would not work now, at least not in T:ANE. That is awkward, since I retained the clone of the whole ECML Kings Cross to Newcastle route circa 1975 and have had to tweak it in several places in order to run a 1975 overnight passenger train session that runs from Kings Cross to Newcastle. Examples are having to correct some spelling mistakes for trackmarks, add and move trackmarks for a different place for the train to stop, and add in a trackmark to solve a problem of a Down train just refusing to head north out of Peterborough Platform 4. Another consequence of the technique not working in T:ANE would be me not being able to roll back the ECML in Northumberland to have a more authentic Chevington as well as adding in the Amble branch. I think that trying to clone the Kings Cross to Edinburgh route and cropping it down to York - Edinburgh would be with the primary objective of running it during circa 1920 in the late pre-grouping era of the North Eastern Railway and the East Coast Joint Stock. That would seem to be a project that would take up all my spare hours for a decade or more! It would also require a large outlay for commissioning a rake or two of ECJS bogie gangway coaches as well as several rakes of NER bogie gangway coaches.

LNER Sentinel steam railcar crossing the ECML north of Ferryhill

Northeast England during the steam era. Here in the 1930s an LNER Sentinel Steam Railcar Number 2270 "INDEPENDENT" of Diagram 97 crosses the ECML with the Spennymoor to Ferryhill branch passenger train. Beneath the bridge on the ECML a former NER Raven 3-cylinder Z Class 4-4-2 Atlantic number 709 (LNER Class C7) hauls an Up express passenger train while a former NER Raven 2-cylinder T2 Class 0-8-0 number 1264 (LNER Class Q6) hauls a coal train on the slow lines from the Leamside line towards Ferryhill.

July 2017 - Photobucket link switched to Imgur.

Last edited:
Absolutely excellent screenshots and very well described. I guess my interest would be, where are all these locomotives coming from? I've not seen them before. Are they Barn700 specials?

Paul

Hello Paulsw2, most are commissioned from barn700 aka Paulztrainz. It is about five years since I started commissioning N.E.R. items from him. I also have some of CamScott's locos as well as some of GP Locomotives engines.

Borderreiver,

that must be an awsome route build you`ve achieved with locations such as Oxhill, Addison & Chatill on your snaps.

Interesting info about the NER locos on the Ferryhill shed snap, please keep those screenies coming, I especially like the Consett branch, West line, (N & C), & North Main line scenes. Currently oldiefying Newcastle & will provide screenies asap.

Regards

Bogieman

Back