North East England - Steam Days Screenshots - Large Screenshots Possible

1914: Light Engine at Newcastle Central

North East England during the steam era. The 7:15 p.m. N.E.R. stopping passenger service from Newcastle to York was an important service for moving vans. The N.E.R. passenger carriages, made up of 52ft non-corridor stock started their Up journey at Edinburgh Waverley, bringing an ECJS Brake south with them and gaining a N.E.R. 32ft Van at Tweedmouth. Several more vans were added at Newcastle for Leeds and Manchester, along with an N.E.R. TPO.

A Worsdell R1 Class 4-4-0 runs light engine from Gateshead depot to take over from the Heaton shed engine which has brought the train from Edinburgh. Built after the V Class 4-4-2 two-cylinder Atlantics, whose performance was somewhat disappointing for the company, the R1 Class were meant to obviate the need for building any more Atlantics by producing a powerful 4-4-0, using the successful R Class as a base. The R1 Class did not live up to the aspirations of the company, with only ten being built, but they found homes at sheds in Yorkshire. Raven built his three-cylinder Atlantics as Z Class.

This R1 is somewhat off its home patch at Newcastle but it may have recently undergone a works visit at Darlington or perhaps an S1 4-6-0 was unavailable at York and the visiting R1 was commandeered for a duty taking it to Tyneside (with the foreman of York shed keeping his fingers crossed that Gateshead shed would send her back south promptly). As a "foreigner" and one with a reputation of not being easy engines to fiire Gateshead probably were glad to send her back to Yorkshire. It will give York shed a further problem though, since the engine bringing the 7:15 p.m. south to York would work back to Newcastle overnight. Perhaps that S1 4-6-0 has had a spot of TLC at the hands of York shed's fitters.

Last edited:
Yes robd its a
GNR brake composite to D171, available in GNR, LNER early, LNER late and BR liveries from Paulz Trainz

@barn700: Is that a one off or is there a set of GNR teak coaches? I don't see them on your website.

Nice shots at post #541, borderreiver.

Rob.

Excellent screenshots Borderreiver. I'm looking at all those diamond crossings and that incredible trackwork in a slight state of disbelief at how well you've laid it all out.

Somebody must've made a decent set of GNR coaches by now Rob. I can't believe that my make-do reskins are still the only GNR coaches available for Trainz

Last edited:
Hello Annie

The route is my NW Durham and Newcastle one but the Newcastle Central station area was originally part of the TS12 built-in London to Newcastle route copied and pasted over (which was a "finnicky" piece of work). After that there was actually a substantial amount of tweaking to be done, not least to the alignments at the western side of the station.

I should really consider doing the same for the Newcastle Central station to Heaton section, using the sections from the ECML as supplied with T:ANE/TRS2019 but it is a lot of work. As it stands, the east end of the station area is representative track-wise and I even have an overhead Signal cabin by Paulz Trainz on site but the extensive overhead roof which spanned the whole of the station site is not there because while the late andi06 has a decent ridged roof and end wall they cannot accomodate the fact that the end walls are not perpendicular to the roof line. The "simplest" solution would be to have a single asset built to "drop in place" but it would be a large asset, while the fact that for a number of years the glazing had gone while the framework remained means that there are least two versions to build, depending on the era to be represented. This is similar to the issue faced by the roof of Forth Goods depot, since the building of the King Edward Bridge circa 1905 meant building the approach track through the roof at eastern end of the depot.

Signalling by chrisaw has really improved the atmosphere of the site. Even his brilliant work has had to dispense with the calling on arms, which were like "a half-home" (insomuch as a half-pull detente was in the signalling rack to activate the calling on arm rather than the full pull to activate the home arm). This permitted engines to proceed at caution in to occupied sections in order to accomplish shunting moves and there were many such movements at Newcastle.

Last edited:
Hello Robd. I have recently had Paul build G.N.R. Gresley 61ft6in BCKs to G.N. Diagrams 171. 218A, 218F and 218G. These are (essentially) the "same" carriage with detail differences (though this is rather larger between the 171 and the 218s due to body width and recessed doors). I needed a G.N.R. BCK for the Saturdays Only version of the 2:20 p.m. E.C.J.S. London to Edinburgh train as one was attached as far as Newcastle.

The BCK was an important carriage in pre-grouping days and this persisted through much of the L.N.E.R. period because they were the "go to" carriage for through carriage work. If more than one carriage was required either another BCK or a TK could be added. The destinations of of G.N.R. through carriages from Kings Cross included;

Cromer (Summer timetable only)
Kings Lynn
Lincoln
Harrogate
Hull Paragon
Hull Riverside
Bradford Exchange
Scarborough (possibly an L.N.E.R. evolution - more research required)
Saltburn
West Hartlepool
Newcastle (Saturdays Only via E.C.J.S.)

I have researched a range of G.N.R. coaches where drawings are in the Isinglass catalaogue and referred to books by both Harris and Hoole. A "set" of G.N.R. corridor carriages would appear to be not as simple as first thought due to the existence of a number of carriages which are not "mainstream" in modern eyes, such as open and semi-open types as well as a number of articulated carriages.

Two G.N.R. set examples follow:

1. The Gresley 1906 Sheffield Stock - three new trains where two were in use and one spare. Six additional Dining Cars were built for general service use.

58ft6in BFK GN Diag 96 - Four compartment with 2 a side seating
65ft6in RC GN Diag 60 - Six axle type
58ft6in TO GN Diag 224 - 2 Saloons seating 42, 2+1 arrangement
58ft6in BTK GN Diag 256/7 - Five compartments seating three per side

2. The Kings Cross Leeds set displaced by the Gresley Articulated Leeds set during 1921

58ft6in BTK No. 3048 GN Diag 258 - 1 Saloon and 3 compartment Brake Semi-Open type
61ft6in TO No. 3038 GN Diag 229 - Seating 2+1
65ft6in RF No. 3034 GN Diag 46 - 6-axle type
60ft9in BFK No. 260 GN Diag 92 - Clerestory roof Howlden era carriage.

Last edited:
1935 M&NEJPS

Northeast England during the steam era. A representation of the Midland & North Eastern Joint Postal Service circa 1935. The "Railway Wonders of the World" website reproduced articles dating from 1935/36 and among them reported that the 7 p.m. service from Newcastle included several Post Office vehicles in L.M.S.R. livery but lettered M&NEJPS, which stood for "Midland and North Eastern Joint Postal Service". an agreement dating back to pre-grouping days (possibly to the late 19th Century or even mid-19th Century). There was a similar overnight wotking between Bristol and Newcastle. The train travelled between York and Normanton ("the old main line" - the original route to York) and then to Sheffield, Tamworth and Birmingham. The train included a couple of passenger carriages between Bristol and Newcastle, giving an overnight connection between the two cities, if a rather slow one. A couple of L.N.E.R. vans were attached for Manchester and Leeds while another, alternatively G.W.R. and former G.C.R. was attached at Newcastle to the Bristol train, bound for Yeovil (detached at York). Midland Vans between London St Pancras and Hull were detached at Pontefract (attached at Sheffield Midland?) and between Hull and London St Pancras attached at Pontefract (detached at Sheffield Midland?).

Below, passing Newton Hall Junction in the hands of a Gresley D49/2 4-4-0.

Below, on the fast Up line between Newton Hall and Durham.

Last edited:
Thank you borderreiver for the info re: GNR coaching stock in post #545. Some very interesting reading and shots in your recent posts in general.

Rob.

Last edited:
Hi Robd

Whilst not covering every eventuality, below are my recommendations for a G.N.R. "stable", which would allow you to assemble most G.N.R. main line express configurations for the period 1914 - 21.

1. The Gresley 1906 Sheffield Stock - three new trains where two were in use and one spare. Six additional Dining Cars were built for general service use.

58ft6in BFK GN Diag 96 - Four compartment with 2 a side seating
65ft6in RC GN Diag 60 - Six axle type Nos. 3039 - 3041
58ft6in TO GN Diag 224 - 2 Saloons seating 42, 2+1 arrangement
58ft6in BTK GN Diag 256/7 - Five compartments seating three per side

2. The Kings Cross Leeds set displaced by the Gresley Articulated Leeds set during 1921

58ft6in BTK No. 3048 GN Diag 258 - 1 Saloon and 3 compartment Brake Semi-Open type
61ft6in TO No. 3038 GN Diag 229 - Seating 2+1
65ft6in RF No. 3034 GN Diag 46 - 6-axle type
60ft9in BFK No. 260 GN Diag 92 - Clerestory roof Howlden era carriage.

3. Miscellaneous carriages and NPCS

61ft6in BCK GN Diag 171 - The four BCKs already built by Paulz Trainz
61ft6in BCK Diag 218A
61ft6in BCK Diag 218F
61ft6in BCK Diag 218G
58ft6in TK GN Diag 248
61ft6in CK Diag 164K

65ft6in RT GN Diag 68

56ft6in BG GN Diag 287 - The same carriage as the E.C.J.S. 56ft6in BG to EC Diagram 39, just with G.N.R. lettering and numbering - Paulz Trainz already has the ECJS version built.
51ft Bogie non-corridor Passenger Luggage Brake GN Diag 293

The 56ft6in and 51ft vans are important because most mail and parcels traffic travelled in vans attached to the front and rear of secondary express passenger trains along the G.N. main line. Sometimes they were attached to both front and rear, exceeding the number of passenger carriages in the consist. The E.C.M.L. "parcels train" is a creature which evolved during British Railways days.

Technically there should be a Howlden Clerestory roof Restaurant First, since, (according to Harris) during 1913 "the majority" of the twenty carriages in use by the G.N.R. were of this type, supplemented by the nine Gresley Diners built during 1906 but I have not yet clearly identified a drawing for it. Perhaps the GNR Society publication on Doncaster Line drawings might have it but I am not a GNR Society member.

A further clarification of the above. Harris actually says "twenty workings", so I misinterpreted, since while the G.N.R. had twenty workings they may not have had twenty dining carriages in stock.
Four 52ft6in long First Class Dining Cars - built 1912 and 1914 with entrance lobby at one end, a dining saloon, pantry, kitchen and lavatory, though sadly I do not see an Isinglass drawing for such a carriage. No. 3250 entered service in 1912 on the Harrogate workings, No. 3251 also built 1912 with 1697 and 1707 to G.N. Diagram 78C built 1914 using Gresley 8ft6in bogies with the heavy type at the kitchen end.
The six additional Dining Cars built in 1906 break down in to two 65ft6in types, Restaurant First (Diagram 46) Nos. 3033, 3034 & 3035 and Restaurant Third (Diagram 68) Nos. 3036, 3037 & 3038. 3036 and 3037 had 2 saloons, seating 24 & 18 while 3038 had 3 saloons, sitting 12, 12 and 18.

So, in 1913:

"X" Number of Howlden Dining cars working more than ten of the twenty G.N. workings.
3 Diag 46 RF - Nos. 3033 - 3035
3 Diag 68 RT - Nos. 3036 - 3038
3 Diag 60 RC - Nos. 3039 - 3041 - Sheffield Stock (one of which is in the spare set).
2 Diag 78 RF - Nos. 3250 & 3251 - (3250 on Harrogate workings) - to become 4 with 2 Diag 78C in 1914 - No. 1697 & 1707

It would also not be unusual to find a horsebox at the head of a secondary express, though the nature of the horse and the racing businesses meant that this carriage could be G.N. G.E. G.C. G.W.R or even L.S.W.R.

Last edited:
Thanks, borderreiver, for the info.

Presumably all the rolling stock you've mentioned in #548 is available from or in the process of being made by Paulz. I don't have any of Paulz Gresley coaches but do have the ECJS clerestory coaches.

I'm wondering if I could adapt andi06's LNER Gresley coaches to fit some of GNR stock? I don't know, I will have to look into in to it.

Thanks,

Rob.

Hello Robd

If you have the means to replace LNER lettering and numbering with GNR lettering and numbering then you can certainly produce some "ersatz" carriages, though the 61ft6in standard length is a little more than the 58ft6in more often seen pre-grouping. The articulated triplet catering set is a L.N.E.R. post-grouping Gresley development. Edh6's LNER BCK might also be re-letterable/renumberable and his 51ft Milk brakes might stand in for the non-corridor Passenger Luggage Brakes. Finding stand-ins for the dining vehicles such as RF, RT, RC, TO and FO are rather more difficult.

the BCK is currently the extent of my G.N.R. carriage build. I identified an Isinglass order of around £77 just for the twelve drawings I'd need for the "basic" G.N.R. stable and the budget for an order for those twelve carriage types to be built by Paul is not on the cards any time soon given the extent of my current build and upgrade programmes.

Edh6 has proven himself to have the skills to produce LNER carriages in the style of the late great andi06 but asking him to turn out twleve G.N.R. types far exceeds my persuasion skills.

Last edited:
Thanks Annie

A further note on the 56ft6in Bogie Brake Gangway carriages (BG).

The E.C.J.S. 56ft6in EC Diagram 39 built from 1906 was the basis of several variants in G.N. & N.E.J.S. as well as G.N.R. fleets. All of the E.C.J.S. and G.N. & N.E.J.S. BGs found their way in to the L.N.E.R. East Coast allocation, while the G.N.R. vehicles were, initially at least, in Southern Area GN Section stock.

E.C.J.S. EC Diag 39: - Nos. 126-128, 130-132 of 1906 (L.N.E.R. Van Nos. 110-114 from 1925) - (No. 128 destroyed in accident between Finsbury Park and Holloway Jan 1st 1920).

G.N. & N.E.J.S. Diag J13
: - No. 35 of 1907 (L.N.E.R. Van No.160 from 1925) - (Cascaded to S Area GN section as No. 4019 in 1926)
G.N. & N.E.J.S. Diag J18: - No. 36 of 1912 (L.N.E.R. Van No. 152 from 1926) - (Cascaded to S Area GN section as No. 4191 in 1929)

G.N.R. G.N. Diag 286
: - Nos. 957, 1016, & 3224-3231 of 1910/1911 (L.N.E.R. Van Nos. 411-420 from 1925)
G.N.R. G.N. Diag 287: - Nos. 961, 980, 1013, 1968, 3116 - 3117 & 3151 - 3154 of 1908/1909 (L.N.E.R. Van Nos. 421-430 from 1925)

E.C.J.S. EC Diag 39B
: - Nos. 744, 152 - 158, 160 - 161, 164 & 175 of 1914/1916. (L.N.E.R. Van Nos. 120-132 from 1925)
E.C.J.S. EC Diag 39C: - Nos. 128, 144. 214, 218 - 219 & 260 of 1922. (L.N.E.R. Van Nos. 133-134 & 136 - 139 from 1925)
E.C.J.S. EC Diag 39E: - No. 145 of 1922. (L.N.E.R. Van No. 135 from 1925) Royal Train

G.N.R. G.N. Diag 308
: - Nos. 697, 832, 941, 950, 978, 1004 - 1005, 1096, 1282, 1294, 1739, 1742, 1755, & 1800 of 1912-1915. (L.N.E.R. Van Nos. 431-444 from 1925)

This adds up to 34 BGs to GN Diagrams 286, 287 and 308 by 1922.

Hello Robd

If you have the means to replace LNER lettering and numbering with GNR lettering and numbering then you can certainly produce some "ersatz" carriages, though the 61ft6in standard length is a little more than the 58ft6in more often seen pre-grouping. The articulated triplet catering set is a L.N.E.R. post-grouping Gresley development. Edh6's LNER BCK might also be re-letterable/renumberable and his 51ft Milk brakes might stand in for the non-corridor Passenger Luggage Brakes. Finding stand-ins for the dining vehicles such as RF, RT, RC, TO and FO are rather more difficult.

the BCK is currently the extent of my G.N.R. carriage build. I identified an Isinglass order of around £77 just for the twelve drawings I'd need for the "basic" G.N.R. stable and the budget for an order for those twelve carriage types to be built by Paul is not on the cards any time soon given the extent of my current build and upgrade programmes.

Edh6 has proven himself to have the skills to produce LNER carriages in the style of the late great andi06 but asking him to turn out twleve G.N.R. types far exceeds my persuasion skills.

Yes, I think I will produce some "ersatz" GNR coaches from andi06's LNER Gresley coaches, it shouldn't be too difficult and strictly for my own use of course! The difficult bit will be finding/producing the GNR style lettering and numbering.

Thank you for the info.

Rob.

1914 Loading ECJS BGs at Newcastle Central

Loading ECJS Brake Vans at Newcastle Central station.

Diagram 36 and 42 46ft6in types and Diagram 39 and 39B 56ft6in types.

Newcastle 1948

Three decades or so on from the previous set, a filthy and neglected D49/1 Shire, Number 2721 Warwickshire makes its way towards the King Edward bridge after being released from its train from Edinburgh. Despite the LNER tender and number it is early 1948. Number 2721 did not receive the BR number 62721 until October 1950, never having had the E prefix. The tender is also a former Robinson GCR 4000 Gallon Type B, which 2721 had been paired with since mid-1944 and would relinquish in early 1949, exchanging it for another ex-GCR tender, but this time a 3800 Gallon rebuild of the 4000 gallon ex-GC Type B. The shedcode remains HAY for Haymarket shed, number 2721 shifting to St Margaret's shed during March. At this time the engine is twenty years old and has slid some way down the pecking order over the past ten years. the slide started with the arrivals of Gresley's V2 Class 2-6-2 but will slide further with the arrival of the B1 4-6-0s. She will be withdrawn during August 1958.

Forth Banks goods shed is in the left background, with various factories in view. This view has changed substantially over the intervening seventy-one years.

Fog, Rain, Clag and Coal Smoke - 1959

North East England during the steam era. During early 1959 a "Flying Bedstead" Austerity 2-8-0 works a train load of steel products away from Consett Low Yard to Low Fell Yard. The gradients on the route via South Pelaw Junction and Beamish are fierce heading up to Consett but the start away from Consett Low Yard is also a real challenge, with a stiff climb from Consett North Junction to Carr House West.

Below, the 2-8-0 gets away from the headshunt of Consett low Yard.

A Class T1 4-8-0T banks the train away from the yard. It will detach at Carr House West.

Consett East Junction.

Carr House.

The T1 prepares to slip, using the trailing crossover at Carr House to return to the Low Yard.

Back