Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: North East England - Steam Days Screenshots - Large Screenshots Possible

Default Durham Progress

North East England during the steam era. After some time away from landscape items I have been populating Durham with buildings. I find it hard work to get it done but worth it in the end.

Here a B15 4-6-0 number 799 heads south from Durham station on the up line, working light engine.

The B15 in a view looking northeast. Number 799 has crossed the viaduct and is on the 1 in 100 incline for Relly Mill.

I have to say that this thread is damned ( am I allowed to say that ? ) good stuff !!

Rob.

Default 1914 - 2:45 p.m. Edinburgh to Newcastle - NER Main Line Set #19

Northeast England during the steam era. Summer 1914 and a Worsdell R Class 4-4-0 takes the slow line at Amble Junction with the 2:45 p.m. North Eastern Railway passenger service from Edinburgh to Newcastle. While technically a "stopping passenger" train and lamped as such, this train only stopped at Berwick, Tweedmouth, Alnmouth and Morpeth, making it closer to a semi-fast express. Edit -- latest info from Bradshaws 1922 is the train actually stopped at Dunbar, Berwick, Tweedmouth, Belford, Chathill, Alnmouth, Warkworth, Acklington, Chevington, and Morpeth. There was a sixteen minute layover at Berwick, departing 4:24 p.m. This would have permitted time for a changeover from NBR to an NER loco from Tweedmouth shed. It is likely that the Tweedmouth van was taken across the royal border bridge to Berwick by the NER engine and attached at Berwick station.

This train was allocated to NER "Main Line Set" number 19. Made up of good quality NER 52ft clerestory roof non-vestibule stock, it consists of coaches which were built from 1895/1896 and until 1908 could be found on the principal NER express trains between Newcastle and Liverpool.

Here the core set of 3-compartment Brake Third, Lavatory Composite, Third Class and 3 compartment Brake Third is running with the daily addition of a Third Class compartment coach added at Newcastle when the set headed north to Edinburgh during the morning. Edinburgh added an ECJS 56ft6in Brake Van for London Kings Cross and Tweedmouth added the 32ft six-wheel van for York. Both will remain with the set at Newcastle. After a forty minute layover the set will depart as the 7:15 p.m. for York, stopping at Durham, Darlington, Northallerton, Thirsk and York. Newcastle will add a NER TPO and two vans for London, along with two vans for Manchester and Liverpool. This will be quite a long train departing Newcastle with more vans than passenger coaches. As Steve Banks often mentions in his articles, this was the main way mail and parcels were moved along the East Coast Main Line in pre-grouping and LNER days, in vans attached to one or both ends of secondary expresses and stopping trains. York will be a busy place at 9:35 p.m.

Last edited by borderreiver; July 12th, 2018 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    I have to say that this thread is damned ( am I allowed to say that ? ) good stuff !!

Rob.
    I completely agree Rob.
    Narcolepsy is not napping.

HP XW8400 Xeon Workstation E5320 quad core, 16GB RAM, 500Gb Hard drive, Nvidia GTX 960, Win 7.

Quote Originally Posted by borderreiver View Post
    North East England during the steam era. After some time away from landscape items I have been populating Durham with buildings.
    Looking good!

If I might ask, what buildings are you using?

hi GreyAreaUK. Most buildings are from the DLS, but I also use buildings from the payware routes "Settle & Carlisle" and "The Potteries Loop Line". There are a small number of payware buildings supplied to me by Paulztrainz. The NER elevated signal box you see at Amble Junction is an example of Paulztrainz work. Most signals and some of the gantries are by chrisaw from the DLS.

Quote Originally Posted by borderreiver View Post
    hi GreyAreaUK. Most buildings are from the DLS, but I also use buildings from the payware routes "Settle & Carlisle" and "The Potteries Loop Line". There are a small number of payware buildings supplied to me by Paulztrainz. The NER elevated signal box you see at Amble Junction is an example of Paulztrainz work. Most signals and some of the gantries are by chrisaw from the DLS.
    Thank you very much. Loving your pics.

Great shots borderreiver ! Keep the story rolling, it's most interesting !

Rob.

Default 1919 _ NER C CLass at Witton Gilbert

Northeast England during the steam era. 1919 in the immediate period following WWI and the act consolidating the railways in to "the big four" has not passed through parliament, so people could be forgiven in thinking that things were not going to change. Here, at Witton Gilbert on the Lanchester Valley Line between Consett South Junction near Consett and Relly Mill Junction near Durham, one of TW Worsdell's C Class 0-6-0s, Number 1510 is in charge of the 12:00 Newcastle to Durham stopping passenger train via Blackhill on the Derwent valley branch. The passenger set is one of six four-coach sets designated as "Newcastle Link A sets" These were 32 to 38 in the Carriage Roster book, with set 36 shown as cancelled at an unknown date. The core configuration was two 49ft bogie 4-compartment Brake Thirds, a 49ft bogie Composite with 4 First Class and Three Third Class compartments and a 49ft bogie 8 compartment Third. This provided 32 First Class and 190 Third Class seats. Here, the NER has rostered set 34 to operate the 12:00 to Durham and while a Third Class bogie coach of either 45ft, 49ft or 52ft would be diagrammed to strengthen the set between Durham at 7:10 a.m. and 5:38 p.m. at Newcastle, on today's train it has not been attached. Circumstances may have made it unavailable. The set is made up of arc roof stock originally built in the mid-1890s for local services between Newcastle and Manors via Tynemouth and Whitley Bay. Electrification of the route in 1904 rendered the arc roof stock surplus to requirements and it was scattered around the NER. Some arc roof coaches were photographed at Whitby in the 1930s.

After arriving at Durham at 1:36 p.m. the train would wait there until 2:43 p.m. forming the stopping service to Newcastle along the East Coast Main Line through Birtley. To avoid blocking the down platform at Durham the train probably ran ahead on the slow line before reversing in to one of the two down bays.

Below the C Class stands at Witton Gilbert Station, which was much closer to the colliery village of Langley Park than it was to Witton Gilbert. The station had staggered platforms and the station building remains in use as a private dwelling.

Below the C Class is on its way between Witton Gilbert and Bear Park stations. A distinctive feature of the arc roof Brake Thirds were their birdcage lookouts, which most, but not all, retained in to LNER days. I believe that the arc roof coaches were withdrawn from service by WWII.

Nice shots. Interesting coaches and interesting livery on the loco - I'm refering to the bright pink, almost fluorescent, lining !

Rob.

NER Goods locos had vermillion lining. The C Class is a reskin experiment. It is a work in progress. I am also working on the NER non-vestibule coaches. The arc roof stock remains on the "to do" list to do something about the "flare" in T:ANE. Whites are starker than anything seen in a laundry detergent ad on TV.

Default 1922- The 12:27 p.m. from Carlisle Citadel

Northeast England during the steam era. A Worsdell R Class 4-40 taking charge of the 12:27 p.m. stopping passenger train from Carlisle. Stopping at all twenty-three stations along the 60 an a quarter mile route it takes two hours thirty three minutes, averaging 23 and one third miles per hour. On a Saturday this could be expect to be a busy train. The set was number 55, one of ten sets allocated by the NER as Newcastle, Carlisle and Blackhill sets. This working link would persist in to British Railways days. NER sets number 55 to 64 were formed of six 52ft length bogie non-vestibuled stock. This was definitely clerestory roof stock in NER days. Two 3-compartment Brake Thirds, two 8-compartment Thirds, a Locker Composite with 3 First and 4 Third compartments and a Lavatory Composite with 4 First compartments and 3 Third compartments.

Below, R Class 2016 has just departed Ryton station at 2:38 p.m.

Below, R Class 2016 is just arriving at Blaydon station, 2:44 p.m.

Default Newcastle Central 1924

North East England during the era of steam. 1924 and a year on from the grouping. LNER 4-4-2 Atlantic Class C7 number 2171 stands in the station on an up express for London Kings Cross while LNER 4-6-0 Class B16 number 2371 brings some empty vans in from Delaval sidings. Her stablemate B16 number 840 stands in the platform waiting for the road across the King Edward Bridge for Gateshead shed. Number 2171's tender has the short-lived L. & N.E.R. tender lettering with ampersand and full points. Her tender is still the original 4125 gallon type as paired in 1914 with 5 tons of coal capacity, water scoop, full rails and the later type of frame slots. The swap out with ex-Q6 4125 gallon self-trimming tenders is nine years away in the future.

Great screenshots Borderreiver. Reminds me that I've been neglecting my own NER layout lately.
    Narcolepsy is not napping.

HP XW8400 Xeon Workstation E5320 quad core, 16GB RAM, 500Gb Hard drive, Nvidia GTX 960, Win 7.

Thanks Kotangagirl. I have been relatively neglectful of Trainz for the past couple of months due to pressures of work out in the real world. That has eased off for now but I have spent some time working on loco numbers/letters for NER, LNER Green and LNER Black locos. The product of the LNER work are present on the C7 and B16 locos. I literally have hundreds of locos to upgrade though, so made a rod for my own back there. I have also had Paul of Paulztrainz produce the three types of 4125 gallon tenders originally paired with the NER Z Class/ LNER Class C7 Atlantic 4-4-2s at newbuild, overturning my original decision at commissioning to just go with one version of the 4125 gallon tender. I also belatedly realised that the drawings I had sent Paul actually included the wrong versions of 4125 gallon tenders when I re-examined NER and early LNER-era photographs in Yeadons.