North East England - Steam Days Screenshots - Large Screenshots Possible

Hi KotangaGirl - The N.E.R. T.W. Worsdell E Class 0-6-0T is not a new model, it is around two years old.
Hi Robd - The Luggage van is lined, the straw lining has vermillion edging. If I recall it correctly it was 1/2 inch straw with 1/8 inch vermillion edging.
The diagram 159s ran in the Newcastle to Liverpool and Hull to Liverpool passenger express trains. Currently researching N.E.R. catering coaches. The Newcastle sets had a 67ft twelve wheel fishbelly underframe catering coach, which I think was a Restaurant Third Diagram 170 built in April 1909. Three were built, numbered 1031, 1480 and 1487. Alternatively, it could have been a 67ft twelve wheel fishbelly underframe Diagram 166 Restaurant Composite built in June 1908. Three of those were also built, numbers 547, 3752 and 3753. I might have to have Paul build both types for me.

Hi borderreiver. Thanks for the info. I'm assuming you've set the luggage van in a modified version of the built in ECML route? You appear to have removed most of the BR era signalling and other BR era paraphernalia and put in a signalling gantry and what appears to be a signal box, along with a new castle(!). Are those assets on the DLS?

Rob.

Last edited:
Hi Robd. The shot is actually on my NW Durham route. There is more alteration at Newcastle compared to the built-in TS12 ECML than meets the eye at first glance. I could not just take the boards containing the station and just fit them in, so I merged a small section of the ECML off to the side and copied and pasted measured sections on to the existing boards on the NW Durham route. Some small height adjustments were required (I had already relaid the track southwards on the ECML to a track gradient plan I have). I then realigned/straightened the far western end of the station to fit the parcels bays in and relaid the eastern end too. I kept the High Level bridge and King Edward bridge alignments. I mostly used the assets on the DLS. The N.E.R. elevated signal box is one of Paul's assets he created for me. No-one has done that on the DLS to the best of my knowledge. There is no DLS asset for the large SB at the west end of the station so I am using a large one from the S&C route assets. Another job on the "to do" list is have Paul build me some N.E.R. Northern division signal boxes. Build me a couple more N.E.R. station buildings too.

P.S. - the actual N.E.R. era Newcastle Central had an extensive extended roof at the west end, which extended right across the station and the avoiding lines. I have parts of it in place, reflecting things more or less as they were in the late 40s/early 50s. Colour light signalling arrived around 1959, so a 1960s setting would have colour light signalling, the old east end roofing cut back to merely the North Tyneside bays and the N.E.R. elevated signal cabin removed.

Last edited:
The NER Diagram 171 Luggage Brake

North East England during the steam era. The 1920s post-grouping. The Lanchester branch train from Blackhill to Durham passes Baxter Wood Signal Box, taking the line for Relly Mill Junction, the East Coast Main Line and Durham station. Behind the E5 2-4-0 locomotive is a former North Eastern Railway 32ft 6-wheel Luggage Van to Diagram 171. The predominant type of luggage van on the N.E.R. was the 32ft 6-wheel arc-roof Diagram 21. 197 examples were built between 1886 and the early 1900s, compared to only 22 of the elliptical roof diagram 171 built between 1908 and 1911. An empty horsebox has been attached to the rear. an N8 0-6-2T is in the Baxter Wood sidings headshunt with a 20 Ton 6-wheel Brake Van.

The E5 takes the chord towards Relly Mill Junction as a Q6 0-8-0 heads northwards from Bridge House Junction to join the Lanchester branch for Consett South Junction.

The E5 takes the branch train on to the Down ECML at Relly Mill Junction.

Running down the bank from Relly Mill in the deep cutting approach to the viaduct at the south of Durham station.

Southbound Up fitted freight heading for York Dringhouses in the hands of a B16 4-6-0. Durham cathedral in the background.

E5 and B16 pass on the ECML south of Durham station.

Thanks Robd and KotangaGirl. I have managed to buy five out of six articles by D. Rowland from 1974 titled "Keeping the Balance". It appears to have come about from wanting to build a model railway layout based on the L.M.S.R. during 1938. The author wondered how many locomotives he should have and what rolling stock would be suitable to reflect the L.M.S.R. in 1938. The results of his research appear to be quite startling. Ten locomotives, twenty-three coaches, eight non-passenger carrying vehicles and seven hundred and thirty three wagons! Of those wagons almost half were private owner wagons, with over half of all railway owned wagons being in the common user pool!

Is the loco, numbered LNER 840, as seen in shot #324 a B16 ?

Rob.

Edit: just read the info between shots - need to go to specsavers - again!

Last edited:
Hi Robd, yes, N.E.R. Raven S3 Class 4-6-0 # 840, built 1919, reclassified to B16 Class by the L.N.E.R. Allocated to Heaton shed to November 1930. The next thirty years saw it going to Hull Dairycoates, York, Stockton, York again, Neville Hill, Heaton, Blaydon, Heaton for a third time. Selby and York for a third and final time. Condemned at York October 1960. Never rebuilt.

Durham Progress

North East England during the steam era. After some time away from landscape items I have been populating Durham with buildings. I find it hard work to get it done but worth it in the end.

Here a B15 4-6-0 number 799 heads south from Durham station on the up line, working light engine.

The B15 in a view looking northeast. Number 799 has crossed the viaduct and is on the 1 in 100 incline for Relly Mill.

I have to say that this thread is damned ( am I allowed to say that ? ) good stuff !!

Rob.

1914 - 2:45 p.m. Edinburgh to Newcastle - NER Main Line Set #19

Northeast England during the steam era. Summer 1914 and a Worsdell R Class 4-4-0 takes the slow line at Amble Junction with the 2:45 p.m. North Eastern Railway passenger service from Edinburgh to Newcastle. While technically a "stopping passenger" train and lamped as such, this train only stopped at Berwick, Tweedmouth, Alnmouth and Morpeth, making it closer to a semi-fast express. Edit -- latest info from Bradshaws 1922 is the train actually stopped at Dunbar, Berwick, Tweedmouth, Belford, Chathill, Alnmouth, Warkworth, Acklington, Chevington, and Morpeth. There was a sixteen minute layover at Berwick, departing 4:24 p.m. This would have permitted time for a changeover from NBR to an NER loco from Tweedmouth shed. It is likely that the Tweedmouth van was taken across the royal border bridge to Berwick by the NER engine and attached at Berwick station.

This train was allocated to NER "Main Line Set" number 19. Made up of good quality NER 52ft clerestory roof non-vestibule stock, it consists of coaches which were built from 1895/1896 and until 1908 could be found on the principal NER express trains between Newcastle and Liverpool.

Here the core set of 3-compartment Brake Third, Lavatory Composite, Third Class and 3 compartment Brake Third is running with the daily addition of a Third Class compartment coach added at Newcastle when the set headed north to Edinburgh during the morning. Edinburgh added an ECJS 56ft6in Brake Van for London Kings Cross and Tweedmouth added the 32ft six-wheel van for York. Both will remain with the set at Newcastle. After a forty minute layover the set will depart as the 7:15 p.m. for York, stopping at Durham, Darlington, Northallerton, Thirsk and York. Newcastle will add a NER TPO and two vans for London, along with two vans for Manchester and Liverpool. This will be quite a long train departing Newcastle with more vans than passenger coaches. As Steve Banks often mentions in his articles, this was the main way mail and parcels were moved along the East Coast Main Line in pre-grouping and LNER days, in vans attached to one or both ends of secondary expresses and stopping trains. York will be a busy place at 9:35 p.m.

Last edited:
hi GreyAreaUK. Most buildings are from the DLS, but I also use buildings from the payware routes "Settle & Carlisle" and "The Potteries Loop Line". There are a small number of payware buildings supplied to me by Paulztrainz. The NER elevated signal box you see at Amble Junction is an example of Paulztrainz work. Most signals and some of the gantries are by chrisaw from the DLS.

hi GreyAreaUK. Most buildings are from the DLS, but I also use buildings from the payware routes "Settle & Carlisle" and "The Potteries Loop Line". There are a small number of payware buildings supplied to me by Paulztrainz. The NER elevated signal box you see at Amble Junction is an example of Paulztrainz work. Most signals and some of the gantries are by chrisaw from the DLS.

Thank you very much. Loving your pics.

1919 _ NER C CLass at Witton Gilbert

Northeast England during the steam era. 1919 in the immediate period following WWI and the act consolidating the railways in to "the big four" has not passed through parliament, so people could be forgiven in thinking that things were not going to change. Here, at Witton Gilbert on the Lanchester Valley Line between Consett South Junction near Consett and Relly Mill Junction near Durham, one of TW Worsdell's C Class 0-6-0s, Number 1510 is in charge of the 12:00 Newcastle to Durham stopping passenger train via Blackhill on the Derwent valley branch. The passenger set is one of six four-coach sets designated as "Newcastle Link A sets" These were 32 to 38 in the Carriage Roster book, with set 36 shown as cancelled at an unknown date. The core configuration was two 49ft bogie 4-compartment Brake Thirds, a 49ft bogie Composite with 4 First Class and Three Third Class compartments and a 49ft bogie 8 compartment Third. This provided 32 First Class and 190 Third Class seats. Here, the NER has rostered set 34 to operate the 12:00 to Durham and while a Third Class bogie coach of either 45ft, 49ft or 52ft would be diagrammed to strengthen the set between Durham at 7:10 a.m. and 5:38 p.m. at Newcastle, on today's train it has not been attached. Circumstances may have made it unavailable. The set is made up of arc roof stock originally built in the mid-1890s for local services between Newcastle and Manors via Tynemouth and Whitley Bay. Electrification of the route in 1904 rendered the arc roof stock surplus to requirements and it was scattered around the NER. Some arc roof coaches were photographed at Whitby in the 1930s.

After arriving at Durham at 1:36 p.m. the train would wait there until 2:43 p.m. forming the stopping service to Newcastle along the East Coast Main Line through Birtley. To avoid blocking the down platform at Durham the train probably ran ahead on the slow line before reversing in to one of the two down bays.

Below the C Class stands at Witton Gilbert Station, which was much closer to the colliery village of Langley Park than it was to Witton Gilbert. The station had staggered platforms and the station building remains in use as a private dwelling.

Below the C Class is on its way between Witton Gilbert and Bear Park stations. A distinctive feature of the arc roof Brake Thirds were their birdcage lookouts, which most, but not all, retained in to LNER days. I believe that the arc roof coaches were withdrawn from service by WWII.

Nice shots. Interesting coaches and interesting livery on the loco - I'm refering to the bright pink, almost fluorescent, lining !

Rob.

Back